This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Antibiotics And More...

MarkLevy

MarkLevy Newbie

Im 42years old. Have had celiac since birth although I didnt know it until two years ago. Suffered with symptoms all my life. Been on antibitiots more times than I wish to remember. As manyof you I have come to know when I have been glutened as opposed to being sickened by an antibiotic. I can say from expierence and from calling drug manufactures and many one on ones with my pharmacist that the zpak along with cipro and augmentin in generic and non generic form do not contain gluten. I for one when I am glutened I know immediatley as I get extreme rage/anger issues along with a brain fog that I cannot begin to desribe. It happens everytime I am glutened. On a side note I would like to add dont believe (as I dont) everyone and anyone including multiple PHd holding doctors that you cannot get glutened from touch or thru the skin. Excuse the laungage but that is 1000% bulls$#&. I after multiple glutened exposures thru my skin from raw pizza dough and philo dough sheets have become poisioned. I know for a fact there was no other way. And it was not inhaled as you can also get glutened that way. Trust me I know what im talking about. Anyone who has ever walked into a pizza place and walked out feeling like seventeen mac trucks just drove over them (when all you did was walk in the door and spend five minutes looking over a menu) listening to people tell you gluten only gets in your body by ingestion is a nutjob. Sorry but anyone that ever tries to sell me that line of bs I turn my back and leave. I just basically went bankrupt having to sell my restaruant because of these kinds of exposures. philo dough. I touch it bare handed instant glutened. I wear gloves no issue. Flour dust (bakery was in a seperate room in our kitchen) just by inhaling it same thing im done...in bed for seven days comatose and drooling on myself. Sorry I went off on a side note here but I tho it was worth mentioning. I would like to add if anyone out there who is ready to dimiss my symptoms from being glutened by touch or by inhalation (as many docs have and sent me in search of a shrink!!) I have two things to ask you (assuming your also celiacs or gluten sensitive because in my mind if you are not you have no business trying to offer advice you learned from a book or medical journal update) do one of two things. first take some all purpose flour and pour it into a bowl standing over the bowl. Pour it so some flour gets on the counter or even on your skin/arms and a little dust can be seen in the air. Now breathe normally. If you have the amount of sensitivity I do you will become immedialtey sick. Second take an envelope. Lick your finger not the actual envelope and use your wet finger to wet the glue on the envelope and seal it. Again if your anything like me within minutes you will know as u will be sick. Im also gonna add this inhalation and skin contact poisioning recently started with me in the past six months. So in other words I was a injest thru the stomach or mouth kinda celiac before. Now touch and smell gets me too. Once again its be your own advocate and diagnose yourself. None of my doctors believe me. If I didnt get so violently ill I would show them in their doctors offices just what happens to me but I cannot handle another week of being comatose and drooling among all the other symptoms. I always ask them too there thoughts on cocaine. their thoughts on the nicoderm patch or a fentanyl narctoic pain patch. Any of those items enter your body thru the skin or thru the nose (inhalation regarding cocaine) Havving ex lawenforcement in my family as well as myslef being paramedic(besides a chef) I have seen many people and been on many scenes where these items have been in use. We walked into one drug factory after the police raided a cocaine lab and we were called to treat a hurt police officer and we saw all the drug suspects leaving the factory in handcuffs all wearing gloves and masks on their face. Think about that. Why do people manufacturing cocaine care if it gets on therir skin or in their nasal passage in the form of dust...why? because it is a way into their body. Think about the nicorderm patch or a fentanyl patch. I cannot count the number of patients I have treated with those patches on their skin. Now ADD A GLUTEN INGREDIANT TO COCAINE AND TO THOSE PATCHES and tell me that the gluten isnt going to get into their bloodstream. That example usually has doctors whom I pose this question to dismiss it by babbaling something like "all the literature says you must eat gluten to be affected"....believe what you want to believe I know what my body tells me. Sorry I went off on a tnagent here but I think if I can keep someone who is going nuts trying to figure out why they are sickened and they know they havent eaten anything with gluten it was worth it.

Now back to the zpak. theres a few things to remember with antibitoics especially the powerful ones like zpak. Their side effects to people WITHOUT gluten sensitivity or celiacs diesease are 99.9% of the time the same complaints. You usually hear people say "I took this stuff and now have a nuclear war going on inside my stomach" unfortunalty thease kind of antibitoics wreak havoc on our GI systems. The COMMONPLACE is extreme N/V/D. Extreme gas and bloating. Abdomin so rigid and so disteneded you think your gonna explode. I have to say it again. This is the NORM for the vast majority of this. Like all of you im terrified to put anything into my body. I call the drug companies also. Anyone who has ever heard the word Lawyer should know why many times when we call any company and ask about gluten we get the "we cannot guarantee the outsourced ingredients blah blah blah." They know whats in their products there all simply scared to give a definte no for fear of litigation.

I can tell you as we speak Im on day two of a zpak. this time its generic. last time it was brand name. Last time no issues other than my above paragraph about the commonplace...this time the commonplace is starting again and tomorrow by day three it will be brutal. But again my body knows without a doubt it is not gluten. I would list all the symptoms i get from gluten and all the ones i get from zpaks and the like and explain in great detail the differences in each one but isnt this message im writing long enough already (lol) ?

I would mention something else I learned about a year aga and have finally cleared it up which definelty mirrored my gluten exposures but thats a candida infection from years of antibitoic use. Thats what scares me about taking antibiotcs now is that they kill all ur bacteria. the good and the bad. Thats why I take a probiotic everyday and use natural garlic supplement daily also which aids in killing the candida (yeast) infections from excessive antibiotic useage (three times a year is considered excessive) its also very important to avoid sugar of anykind as sugar feeds the yeast infection. I mention this in the hopes I can help someone else not go thru the same frustration as I did because killing the candida infection I had took almost ten months and was not fun.

Sadly so many tings contain gluten. And so many of us just dont have a gluten issue. Many of us have allergieson top of this. I should add many of us feel we are allergic to antibiotics or other medications (narcotic pain medication is usually one of the ones people report as being allergic to when they truely are not) Remember that in a nutshell allergic reactions to antibiotics or other medication or foods USUALLY invlove hives / itching / raised welts on the skin / breathing difficulty....yes thats a small list and I mention it as a reference point. Usually people that take something and get side effects such as N/V/D...gas...bloating..headache is not an allergic reaction. That said always check with ur Doctor if u expierence anything bothersome but as otheres have mentioned unfortuanly somethimes the antibotics are needed and their side effects have to outweigh the infection were on them for in the first place doesnt get worse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Celiac works in the digestive system. Touching gluten =/= digesting it thus, you cannot get glutened unless you somehow, for some reason, lick the spot effected.. However, inhaling it, goes through the nose, and eventually ends up in the digestive system.

I'm legitly allergic to the medication in a zpack (mainly azithromyicin) so that one is a no go for me, along with penicillian, sulfa/septra. There are other symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as the body feeling like it is on fire for no reason whatsoever. Headaches can be in combo with an allergic reaction.

Archived