This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood In Stool?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

My Dr called friday and said my stool tests came back positive for blood in stools, he wants me to come in for a blood test to see how anemic I am...thats it! said it could be ulcer, cancer etc..

shouldn't he be doing more? I'm stressed out over this!

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lister Rising Star

well if it is a ulcer stressing out will acually make it worse, ulcers can go away by themselfs but sometimes have to be treated, as for cancer dont get all worked up and worried about it, you will make yourself sick, and i hope everything works out in the least bad way for you. as to say just keep telling yourself its a ulcer. plus blood can be caused by lots of other things as i have found out, including parasites, and acually even celiac can cause bleeding if you have to much gluten

was it a stool sample or a hemocult card, because they can test for cancer with the hemocult card itself really easy and almost fun *if u like playing with poop*

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Can anybody, (although a yucky topic to talk about, but hey, we all need help!!!!) explain what blood in the stool looks like? Recently I thought I had blood, after having major glutening/virus. I was once told that blood is not like bright red, but darker. Is this true? I just went for my checkup (bloodwork) and completely forgot to mention this to my doctor!

Thank you!!!!

Erica

:)

ebrbetty Rising Star
well if it is a ulcer stressing out will acually make it worse, ulcers can go away by themselfs but sometimes have to be treated, as for cancer dont get all worked up and worried about it, you will make yourself sick, and i hope everything works out in the least bad way for you. as to say just keep telling yourself its a ulcer. plus blood can be caused by lots of other things as i have found out, including parasites, and acually even celiac can cause bleeding if you have to much gluten

was it a stool sample or a hemocult card, because they can test for cancer with the hemocult card itself really easy and almost fun *if u like playing with poop*

hi it was a card type thing,"three separate flaps" I had to do it three days in a row, a little on the card each day..is that a better type of test?

thanks

dionnek Enthusiast

I've had blood in my stool (sometimes bright red but usually dark red blood clots) for quite some time. No one seems to be concerned, even though I've told all my dr's. I wouldn't worry too much about it - they'll test you and then you'll know. Mine has gone away since I've been gluten-free for the past 10 days, but I expect it to come back. Just keep watching.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Betty--Try not to worry, I know that's easier said than done! At this point, it could be any number of things. I had it and it turned out to be due to internal hemmoroids. The important thing to remember is that you and your doctor are on top of things, and that's the key. I will keep you in my thoughts :)

Lister Rising Star

the three part test he gave you was a hemocult card. It tests for blood and also for colon cancer so i would not worry about the cancer to much.

as for your red bloody stools dionick, if its brite red it usaly meens either you have a fisher or hemoroids. The darker the blood the older the blood, if your stools are black and tarry thats when you need to worry- like it looks like a pepto poop but you did not have pepto.

about 1 week before going gluten free i had very bright red bloody stools with black specks in it. i called my doctor and he said he is going to need to see me, the next day i got really bad dizzy and felt like i was dieing so i had my girlfriends grandma rush me up to the ER, they took a stool sample and nothing abnormal was found no blood nothing, even though my stools where coming out that disquesting red color- the night of the bloody stools starting i had aten a club sandwich with breaded frys- so im pretty sure it was from gluten- but they never did find blood even after a hemocult card(my test was done badly though, the doctor felt it was a emergency so he wanted me to fill out the test in 1 day just from 3 seperate movements) and still nothing was found. so as for you dienek it could be that you just keep eating something that is staining your movements if u have seen a doctor and nothing is found

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks patti and lister. I was a bit surprised by the result because I have have not seen blood and my stool was very light in color during the 3 day testing [sorry :unsure: ]

dlp252 Apprentice
My Dr called friday and said my stool tests came back positive for blood in stools, he wants me to come in for a blood test to see how anemic I am...thats it! said it could be ulcer, cancer etc..

shouldn't he be doing more? I'm stressed out over this!

thanks

Try not to get too stressed. My doctor found blood in my stool (by the exam/card) during my annual exam in February (I'd not seen any sign of it). Based on that and the symptoms I'd been having she suggested a colonoscopy. So I made an appointment with a GI, who after listening to my symptoms and seeing the results of my exam, suggested we also do an endoscopy. I never did get a definitive reason for the blood, but the colonoscopy showed no problems with my colon at all. The endoscope did show some damage/blood in my esophagus, but the doctor wasn't concerned with that either. We still don't know exactly what caused the blood, but it could have been just a temporary thing or it could have been from the esophagus. I did the three card test too and I think that came back negative.

Archived