This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Continuing Gluten Questions

HuberNS92

HuberNS92 Newbie

Hello everyone: I am new to the Gluten-Free Diet lifestyle, so am unfamiliar with what I am able to eat. Fortunately, I have a girlfriend whom is gluten-free now, but our knowledge is still limited. I hoped that you all could help determine what foods are considered okay to eat. 

My first question is whether or not I can eat these tortilla chips. I live in a Fraternity House and eat a lot of these.

I can't find out how to use the attachements, so here are the ingredients: Yellow Stone Ground Corn Masa Flour and a Trace of Lime, Vegetable Oil (Canola and/or Safflower and/or soybean, Salt, TBHQ, Citric Acid.

I researched the flour and saw an instance of one girl having a reaction to the flour, but she commented that it seemed to be a bad batch.

Are these generally okay to eat?

Thanks,

Nate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I see no gluten in those. Mind you, i'd be more concerned about getting CC'd by others who eat those than the chips themselves.

kareng Grand Master

There is no gluten in those. 

This might be helpful:

Open Original Shared Link

You need to eat more than chips.  Not sure if you can safely eat anything served in the Frat.  You might want to talk to the cook about that.

• 4 months later...
HuberNS92 Newbie

Hey guys! I have a few more questions. (1) I've seen that eggs can be a concern for some people. Whether the chicken is fed gluten-containing food or not. If you've read any of my other posts I'm not sure if I have gluten intolerance/celiacs or not, so obviously my symptoms are debilitating. Anyone care to weigh in if the eggs are a big deal? (2) High fructose corn syrup... Cool or not? And (3) Xanthum gum. It's in my salad dressing. I've read split rulings.

Thanks guys!

BZBee Apprentice

Make sure gluten fingers aren't reaching for the same bowl or bag.

HuberNS92 Newbie

Make sure gluten fingers aren't reaching for the same bowl or bag.

Soooo, are you saying all those are O.K.?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yes.  They are as long as you don't have a intolerance to them (some people do). 

Biggest thing is to get to that bag of chips before those "gluten eating" folks do.  I've been training my extended family to 1) let me eat first and 2) pour from the bag on to individual plates or a napkin.  No reaching into the bag.  No need to do this at home, since it's gluten free completely, but when visiting a gluten filled house, it's the only way to survive!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

As for X gum, HF corn syrup and eggs - they are all gluten free. People, Celiac or not, can tolerate them. People, Celiac or not, don't tolerate one or more of them. You will have to see for yourself if those foods bother you or not.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Eggs are a staple food for me appearing poached daily on my breakfast table.  My cholesterol is not high.  They are an excellent protein source.  I would only take them out of my diet if I knew they were a problem.

BZBee Apprentice

They are ok as long as your friends don't contaminate the chips. Community food is always tricky for us celiacs. Make sure you get yours first or have a separate stash.

HuberNS92 Newbie

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! I'm really happy to of found such a helpful forum. 

I doubt you have read my other thread. I am a possible candidate for Gluten sensitivity/Celiacs. It's not debilitating to me, but I have bloating, occasional diahrrea in the morning, brain fog, and fatigue. Also my hormones looking good. Those are the symptoms I think are related to Celiacs. 

Do you think that I need to be concerned about cross-contamination from people in the chips if my symptoms aren't SO bad?

Also, does anyone know if Whey Protein is gluten-free? I see glutamine on the back and that has me worried.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! I'm really happy to of found such a helpful forum. 

I doubt you have read my other thread. I am a possible candidate for Gluten sensitivity/Celiacs. It's not debilitating to me, but I have bloating, occasional diahrrea in the morning, brain fog, and fatigue. Also my hormones looking good. Those are the symptoms I think are related to Celiacs. 

Do you think that I need to be concerned about cross-contamination from people in the chips if my symptoms aren't SO bad?

Also, does anyone know if Whey Protein is gluten-free? I see glutamine on the back and that has me worried.

Glutamine isn't gluten. Whey is a part of milk. Both gluten-free.

Have you been tested for Celiac?

HuberNS92 Newbie

Glutamine isn't gluten. Whey is a part of milk. Both gluten-free.

Have you been tested for Celiac?

Okay great. Do you know if the Whey Protein's other ingredients are okay or if there is a possibility of cross-contamination? I can post the ingredients on this forum if that is more helpful.

And this is the link to my other thread. I have the test is posted there.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/100163-gluten-issue/

kareng Grand Master

Okay great. Do you know if the Whey Protein's other ingredients are okay or if there is a possibility of cross-contamination? I can post the ingredients on this forum if that is more helpful.

And this is the link to my other thread. I have the test is posted there.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/100163-gluten-issue/

Whey is an ingredient. It is a part of milk. It wouldn't have any other ingredients. It might be an ingredient in a protein powder. Most of them seem happy to state gluten-free on them if they are.

psawyer Proficient

Glutamine and whey are gluten-free. Whey is dairy, so that may be of concern to those with dairy issues.

HuberNS92 Newbie

Okay great. And since high fructose corn syrup is okay I assume then that corn syrup is also? And I want to eat Pop Secrets Homestyle popcorn. The only thing I wonder about is the artificial flavoring. Is that normally gluten free?

psawyer Proficient

The only thing I wonder about is the artificial flavoring. Is that normally gluten free?

Yes. Flavor is not a concern. The only one that might be a concern is barley malt, but since it is an expensive ingredient it isn't hidden--the company will be proud of it and want you to know.
HuberNS92 Newbie

I'd buy a new protein power, but I have had a bottle sitting around for some time now. I'm going to start taking it because the protein is beneficial and the calories are nice for a gluten free diet. So sorry if this seems redundant, but I'm going to list the ingredients it to err on the side of caution since I will be consuming this daily. I don't want to be sabotaging myself on a daily basis! If you guys see any red lights please let me know.

Micronized Amino Acids: Glutamine (as Whey Protein Isolate and Micronized Glutamine), Arginine (as Micronized Arginine and Whey Protein Isolate)

Leucine (as Whey Protein Isolate and L-Leucine

L-Carnitine (as Carnitine Tartrate

Amino Acceleration System

Enzyme Matrix Blend (Amylase, Protease 4.5, Protease 6.0, CereCalase, Peptidase, Alpha-galactosidase, Glucoamylase, Bromelain, Protease 3.0, Lipase, Protease AM, Invertase, Lactase), Aminogen, Carbogen

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Polydextrose, Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

Contains: Milk and Soybean

So there you have it! Again sorry if I am being over-cautious. Just want to make sure. Also there is another artificial flavoring on there so hopefully that is okay.

And if anyone wants to know it is called Amplified Wheybolic Exreme 60 Dietary Supplement

Archived