Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peanutbutter&jelly

Decoding My Serology?

After a few months of nasty gut issues, one episode of bloating to the point where I couldn't move my legs without extreme pain and finally getting sick of it, I had bloods done a couple of weeks ago, which apparently have come back positive. I have a print of them sitting in front of me, an appointment for a gastroscopy next week. Feeling terrible today, and not 100% sure this is going to even make sense. Or if things are different internationally, I'm in Australia. 

My serology came back with:

Deaminated Gliadin IgG (Phadia 250): positive 14.0 

h-tTG IgA (Phadia 250): positive 42.0

IgA (Total) (Abbott Architect): 2.69 g/L (0.6o-3.96)

[please note new reference ranges]

Note underneath says both are indicative of coelic disease. 

Is there a high rate of these showing up and being incorrect, or indicative of something else? I think at the moment I'm in a state of disbelief that it's something as simple as eradication of something from my diet which could fix how I'm feeling right now. 

They are considered very accurate. Welcome to the club!

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/in-blood-tests-are-false-positives-less-common-than-false-negatives

"In blood tests, are false positives less common than false negatives?

Even though blood tests are quite accurate, they are falsely positive 1-3% of the time (i.e., being positive without the person having celiac) and, although less commonly, falsely negative 1-2% of the time (i.e., being normal when a person actually has celiac)."

does she get her decoder ring??

They are considered very accurate. Welcome to the club!

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/in-blood-tests-are-false-positives-less-common-than-false-negatives

"In blood tests, are false positives less common than false negatives?
Even though blood tests are quite accurate, they are falsely positive 1-3% of the time (i.e., being positive without the person having celiac) and, although less commonly, falsely negative 1-2% of the time (i.e., being normal when a person actually has celiac)."

Ooh, I'd love a decoder ring. Costume included??

Due to budget cuts, your decoder ring may be delayed. Costumes are optional.

Actually, due to an overflow of applicants, there is a rather long waiting list for decoder rings.  As with healing from celiac disease, one must be very patient.