Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deaminated Marcus

Do Celiac Symptoms Change From Childhood To Adulthood?

When I read a Celiac book I saw I had the classic childhood symptoms of chronic D, sickly and being skinny. 

In my 20's the symptoms changed and I lost to chronic D and I gained weight.

Because doctors are so misinformed, I just wanted to know if others who were diagnosed with Celiac in adulthood can remember if their symptoms changed from Childhood to Adulthood.

Now my big problem are muscle aches and joint pain which I didn't have as a child or teen.

Can people who were officially diagnosed with Celiac tell me if their symptoms changed from childhood to adulthood.

I got more symptoms as time went by. As a child it was stomachaches,"c", and sore knees. In my teens, the GI symptoms were less but I started getting headaches. In my twenties, I had the symptoms continue. Stomach aches and headaches grew worse. I started getting arthralgias and a lot of bronchial or sinus infections. Also got a bad back. In my thirties I fell apart. Everything got quite a bit worse. Bloating really kicked in and I started losing hair. My sore joints started making it hard to do things- like put on a jacket. I was diagnosed when I was 38.

...I'm hoping that my forties will be better! LOL

Marcus, I'm confused here. You have posted many, many posts in the last 2 weeks so I might not be remembering correctly, but.....didn't you say you weren't diagnosed with Celiac? Did I miss that you were diagnosed as a child but didn't eat gluten-free until now?

Hey Marcus...

My symptoms were the same in childhood...unexplained weight GAIN, bloating, discomfort after each meal, sore joints, heat intolerance.....but evolved over the years -- had one 6 year 'remission' during my teen years when I lived off of salad and diet coke -- which i do not recommend for any young woman -- but strangely I was at my healthiest during those years.

I got more symptoms as time went by. As a child it was stomachaches,"c", and sore knees. In my teens, the GI symptoms were less but I started getting headaches. In my twenties, I had the symptoms continue. Stomach aches and headaches grew worse. I started getting arthralgias and a lot of bronchial or sinus infections. Also got a bad back. In my thirties I fell apart. Everything got quite a bit worse. Bloating really kicked in and I started losing hair. My sore joints started making it hard to do things- like put on a jacket. I was diagnosed when I was 38.

...I'm hoping that my forties will be better! LOL

Your 40s are going to be great...I am certain : )

Absolutely. My mom says that she remembers seeing changes in my health even when I was 9 years old, at the time it was D and behavior problems that were misdiagnosed as ADHD. By the time I was diagnosed a couple weeks before entering college, my symptoms were totally different: constipation, heart burn, stabbing pains after eating, almost fainting, shortness of breath....well, its a very long list. I also was always a skinny kid but then started to get sort of a belly, which is gone now, yay!

No Kareng, I was never diagnosed, I'm still waiting for a gastroenterologist to scope me.

Thank you all for your replies. 

I can see 2 changed over time and one remained the same.

I asked because the young gastro doctor I saw last week said I don't fit the Celiac profile.

And a friend keeps saying I don't have Celiac because my symptoms are no longer the classic ones I had as a child - teen.

Your responses were helpful.

No Kareng, I was never diagnosed, I'm still waiting for a gastroenterologist to scope me.

I asked because the young gastro doctor I saw last week said I don't fit the Celiac profile.

And a friend keeps saying I don't have Celiac because my symptoms are no longer the classic ones I had as a child - teen.

But...didn't you say you have been gluten-free for several years? What would be the point ?

happy to help out anytime!