This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This A Kidney Pain?

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

This is probably not celiac linked but I thought I'd ask anyway since you all know your medical stuff. TMI ahead...

For a couple of days I have had pain in my right flank. It is mostly on my back, to the right of my spine, below my ribs but above my hips, and the pain occassionally radiates around my side towards the front. I'm trying to figure out what it is...

It's not typical back pain. I've had that in the past along with a herniated disc and spasming back muscles - that's not it. It's not muscle pain unless it's something very deep. i am ovulating around now and my *ahem* girl stuff will often cause inflammtion and pain (including the usual back pain) so that could be bothering something. Activity does not affect it. I have had this once or twice in the not so recent past but it didn't last more than a day.

It seems to hurt less when I push on the area it but the tissue above it seems sensitive and hurts to push when it shouldn't

It actually woke me up last night when the pain switched partially around to the front, but a bit lower. The fact that it woke me is surprising as I can usually sleep through pain... sleep is an excellent pain management solution for me. :P Then this morning it almost went away but then I had a (ahem) BM and it came right back.  A bit odd.

I'm wondering if there is something up with my kidneys. Does it sound like a UTI that snuck upwards a bit or maybe a stone? Over the last couple of weeks I noticed my urine was darker (not shockingly but it is normally quite light) but I also just started a bunch of high dose vitamins along with a pancreatic enzyme and new thyroid meds, so I figured that was the cause and I was totally unconcerned.

I feel fine. No fevers or anything. I've had very mild mild nausea on and off for a few months but nothing shocking - I think it's related to adjusting thyroid meds. I'm not running to the bathroom lots nor does it hurt to "go".

I happen to have some ultrasounds scheduled tomorrow (new extremely thorough orthomolecular doctor ordered a million tests) which includes my abdomen. I thought I'd ask them to take a look at my sore area to see what they can see (hopefully they will), and then if it is still sore in a couple of days, I will see a doctor...

I think it's an okay plan.  What do you all think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

This sound slightly familiar.  My doctor tested me for Gallstones, but did not see any in the ultrasound.  The pain was intense in the back and when it appeared to pass (somewhere), the pain radiated to the front and slowly subsided.

Glad you feel better.

Ksee Rookie

It does sound like a kidney pain. Smaller stones can block a ureter and then move depending on your position, relieving the pain. I had one big kidney stone that started with a severe, sharp stomach pain that quickly moved to my flank. When it did, I couldn't move, couldn't be still, couldn't talk, couldn't quit throwing up, I was all over the place. 

You may be able to flush it out with lots of water and cranberry juice if you can drink that. AZO over the counter will numb the ureters BUT is no substitute for medical treatment if you have an infection or a stone. AZO won't treat an infection, only some of the pain. A kidney infection that has gone that far needs treatment fast. If it is an infection you are one step from it being in your blood. Did that sound serious? Good, it was supposed to. 

Call your doctor and it will be okay, your not that sick yet. :) Good luck, hugs!

IrishHeart Veteran

When I had kidney pain and stones, it hurt like the beejepers and I had vomiting. 

It was constant, though, not intermittent and it did not resolve until I passed the stones. (not fun) 

I had a fever with it all, as I recall.

If it does not stop soon, have yourself checked out!

(and yes, your urine changing color could be from vitamins)... but none of us are doctors and we can't say for sure.

nvsmom Community Regular

This sound slightly familiar.  My doctor tested me for Gallstones, but did not see any in the ultrasound.  The pain was intense in the back and when it appeared to pass (somewhere), the pain radiated to the front and slowly subsided.

Glad you feel better.

I wondered about that too but my pain seems to be in a different spot than the typical gallbladder pain. It's something to keep in mind.  Thanks.  :)

It does sound like a kidney pain. Smaller stones can block a ureter and then move depending on your position, relieving the pain. I had one big kidney stone that started with a severe, sharp stomach pain that quickly moved to my flank. When it did, I couldn't move, couldn't be still, couldn't talk, couldn't quit throwing up, I was all over the place. 

You may be able to flush it out with lots of water and cranberry juice if you can drink that. AZO over the counter will numb the ureters BUT is no substitute for medical treatment if you have an infection or a stone. AZO won't treat an infection, only some of the pain. A kidney infection that has gone that far needs treatment fast. If it is an infection you are one step from it being in your blood. Did that sound serious? Good, it was supposed to. 

Call your doctor and it will be okay, your not that sick yet. :) Good luck, hugs!

Yep, you sounded serious.  :D  I know kidney infections and stones can be wickedly painful, but my discomfort is more along the lines of annoying and distracting so I'm not sure if it's kidney related or not.  It's just definitely in the right spot. If it is still bothering me tomorrow, I'll call my doctor and get it checked. Hopefully it will have disappeared and it was some deep random muscle pain or large intestinal issue... or something. LOL  Aren't we celiacs supposedly all hypochondriacs?  LOL ;)

When I had kidney pain and stones, it hurt like the beejepers and I had vomiting. 

It was constant, though, not intermittent and it did not resolve until I passed the stones. (not fun) 

I had a fever with it all, as I recall.

If it does not stop soon, have yourself checked out!

(and yes, your urine changing color could be from vitamins)... but none of us are doctors and we can't say for sure.

Ouch. My pain is definitely not nearly as bad as that.... thank goodness. Sounds awful. :(

I just got back from coaching soccer and the discomfort has lessened again. If it's a muscle thing it could have loosened up with running the sidelines... maybe. I'll get it checked out if it doesn't go away soon.  

Thanks for all of your advice ladies.  It's always appreciated!  :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Nicole,

Maybe you should try eliminating the new vitamins and pills for a week to see if there is a relationship to the new symptoms.  Just in case ya know.

Digestive system stuff and parts.

Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

Hi Nicole,

Maybe you should try eliminating the new vitamins and pills for a week to see if there is a relationship to the new symptoms.  Just in case ya know.

Digestive system stuff and parts.

Open Original Shared Link

That's a good point, Paul. I hadn't thought of that.... But I sort of doubt the vitamins are causing it because I stopped taking my vitamins on Friday or Saturday in preparation for blood tests that I had yesterday (Tuesday). I've already been vitamin free for 5 or 6 days now, and I am on day 3 of flank pain. I think I will skip my new vitamins for a few more days to test your theory.

I will go to the doctor tomorrow. My doc's office is closed today (forgot about that).

i think something is up with my kidneys. I had my ultrasound today (not ordered for kidney pain) and the US tech said she didn't see anything unusual BUT when she was doing the US on my right kidney it hurt like I had a nasty bruise over much of my flank. Tender. Very weird.. The other side felt fine.

Also, when I had to drink 1 litre of water to prep for the US, it hurt mor for about an hour.... Could have been the power of suggestion though because I'm thinking of kidneys.

...Now if only I could make money appear with the power of my mind like I can make pain appear! LOL. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

money.gif

Hope you get some answers soon :)

GFinDC Veteran

Well, if you figure out the mind over money thing, do let us know! T-would be a handy talent to have.:)

Hopefully the doctor will find some answers for you.  If not I am sure he will refund your fee, not! :)

That's a good point, Paul. I hadn't thought of that.... But I sort of doubt the vitamins are causing it because I stopped taking my vitamins on Friday or Saturday in preparation for blood tests that I had yesterday (Tuesday). I've already been vitamin free for 5 or 6 days now, and I am on day 3 of flank pain. I think I will skip my new vitamins for a few more days to test your theory.

I will go to the doctor tomorrow. My doc's office is closed today (forgot about that).

i think something is up with my kidneys. I had my ultrasound today (not ordered for kidney pain) and the US tech said she didn't see anything unusual BUT when she was doing the US on my right kidney it hurt like I had a nasty bruise over much of my flank. Tender. Very weird.. The other side felt fine.

Also, when I had to drink 1 litre of water to prep for the US, it hurt mor for about an hour.... Could have been the power of suggestion though because I'm thinking of kidneys.

...Now if only I could make money appear with the power of my mind like I can make pain appear! LOL. ;)

notme Experienced

hey nicole - are you taking tylenol by any wild chance?   because i switched from ibuprofen to tylenol (in the interest of clearing my DH and skin problems) and i had kidney pain - i was keeping a food journal at the time and that was the only reason i noticed it.  it was enough to notice that it hurt (and mine was on both sides where my waist is towards my back) then when i quit taking it then it went away. no clue as to why - i was just glad my kidneys weren't failing.  anyways, i just wanted to tell you (just in case it helps) kidneys are important :)  and it was a wierd thing that happened to me.  

nvsmom Community Regular

That is a weird one, Arlene. I'm glad you figured it out though!

No, I'm not taking Tylenol. I take Ibuprofen when I nedd a pain killer. I took one last night because i couldn't settle down - the discomfort was making me restless - but that's the firts pain killer I have taken in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tip though!  :D I appreciate it.

christianmom247 Explorer

Nvsmom, you're describing the same kind of pain I had on and off for years, then every day. The only thing that helped at all was time and a heating pad. I was tested for celiac, and that IS what was causing the pain.  It went away within a few days of being gluten free.  If you haven't yet been tested for celiac, you should be! Good luck :)

nvsmom Community Regular

Nvsmom, you're describing the same kind of pain I had on and off for years, then every day. The only thing that helped at all was time and a heating pad. I was tested for celiac, and that IS what was causing the pain.  It went away within a few days of being gluten free.  If you haven't yet been tested for celiac, you should be! Good luck :)

I guess that it is possible that this is celiac related but I was diagnosed a year ago and have been gluten-free ever since - 1 month less than you.  :) I doubt it is celiac related... well, I hope it's not celiac related. after being gluten-free for one year, I should be done getting new symptoms.... i really want to say that with a pout and a foot stomp.  LOL  ;)

My flank pain has now gone away but my back is still tender, and in hindsight, it usually is a bit.  I saw the doctor and he sent me for some lab tests. I haven't heard anything yet.

I saw my abdominal  ultrasound today. both kidneys were declared normal.

I'm guessing it is a mild infection near my kidneys. It could also just be some temper tantrum by my kidney for no good reason. They are working fine. I had a urinanalysis just a few days before my flank pain hit and it was normal except for a low urine specific garvity, but that is always low in me. 

I also happened to do a 24hr urine chemistry test at that time. My volume was high (that surprised me), my creatinine is high (14.8 and ref is 6.2-14.1) but my blood creatinine was normal (54 with ref.  35-100), and my sodium was high (280 and ref. is 43-217) but I suspect that could be because I ate a big bowl of salted pistachios the day before - I normally eat very low salt.

Maybe my kidney area hurt because my kidney was working too well? B)  LOL

Lisa Mentor

..just checkin' , but so glad you are feeling better Nicole!

Archived