Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laura1959

Visit With Primary Care Doctor

Some of you may recall my introductory post where I mentioned recently having multiple medical tests coming back with abnormal results.  I'd arranged for a visit with my doctor to go over those results, suspecting celiac.  

Well, I saw my primary care doctor today, and he agreed. He told me to stop eating gluten and gave me orders for a celiac blood test. He also said that the test would not be definitive. If it comes up positive, we have an answer but he said that there are many false negatives. I knew this, but was glad to hear him say it. He said that if I get a negative result I should stay on the diet for at least six to eight weeks before deciding if it's working for me or not. Of course, if it's positive, I stay on the diet for life.

I am relieved that I didn't have to argue with him to get this test.  He said he has many patients on a gluten free diet who are feeling better than they ever did with gluten in their systems.  What a relief to have that out of the way. 

Some of you may recall my introductory post where I mentioned recently having multiple medical tests coming back with abnormal results.  I'd arranged for a visit with my doctor to go over those results, suspecting celiac.  

Well, I saw my primary care doctor today, and he agreed. He told me to stop eating gluten and gave me orders for a celiac blood test. He also said that the test would not be definitive. If it comes up positive, we have an answer but he said that there are many false negatives. I knew this, but was glad to hear him say it. He said that if I get a negative result I should stay on the diet for at least six to eight weeks before deciding if it's working for me or not. Of course, if it's positive, I stay on the diet for life.

I am relieved that I didn't have to argue with him to get this test.  He said he has many patients on a gluten free diet who are feeling better than they ever did with gluten in their systems.  What a relief to have that out of the way. 

Great!  But keep eating gluten until you have exausted all possible tests.

your body's response to the gluten-free diet is also used as one of the diagnostic 'tools' - my doctor took this into account when she dx'd me.  i started gaining weight almost immediately - very happy to see my cheeks again.  both sets ;)  welcome and good luck!

I was off gluten for five days, and he asked me about that.  I told him that I had a lot of brain fog and sleepiness but that my gastrointestinal problems seemed to improve.  Since going back on the gluten again I've started having urgency and am back to feeling bloated.  

I can't think of any reason he would.  He seemed pretty accepting of the likelihood that this was my problem, and very positive about the benefits of a gluten-free diet.  I think that if, for some reason, he were to suggest that, I would just tell him no.  I don't have to do everything the doctors suggest.  

Sounds like a good doctor.  :)

I would suggest giving the diet closer to 6 months before you re-assess how it has helped you (if tests are negative). Keep a journal so you can see how symptoms change over time. Yes, the gastro symptoms usually improve pretty quick but the other ones (neuro or pain) sometimes make a rebound. I remember feeling really really good three months into the diet but by four months in I had an arthritic attack, huge fatigue, and a few other problems that cleared up in a few months. Recvery is often two steps forward, then one step back. KWIM?