• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Okay, in a recipe somewhere I saw that is said to use gluten-free vanilla extract. Where do you buy that? And do other vanillas have gluten in them?? I've used a pure one from mexico in my banana bread recipe and my daughter didn't seem to react to it at all, but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. The only thing I can see that might be a problem is that it has 2% alcohol in it. Is that a problem?

Try McCormicks Vanilla, to the best of my knowledge, it is gluten-free.

Yes, McCormicks uses corn alcohol in their vanilla. You can also find alcohol-free varieties at health food stores, though you would need to check with the specific companies, of course.

I was having a problem with Tone's (which everyone says is gluten-free).

I switched to Flavorganics and haven't had any problems since.

I kept a food journal and even recreated the same menu, with the vanilla being the only difference.

I went to a health food store and couldn't find any that didn't have alcohol in them. My daughter never seemed to react to the kind I have from mexico. Maybe I'll keep using that. I DO have some schilling (I guess that's the brand, but it also says McCormick Co. on the bottom of the box)..so maybe I'll use that. I was more scared of the schilling brand one because it says imitation vanilla as opposed to the other one that said pure vanilla. Does anyone know if this Schilling brand -made by McCormick- is gluten-free or does McCormick make another vanilla that's is just under their own brand name?

There's a great powdered vanilla you can buy online from gluten solutions - it works even better than liquid in all my cookie recipes. It's basically just called vanilla powder

Okay, in a recipe somewhere I saw that is said to use gluten-free vanilla extract.  Where do you buy that?  And do other vanillas have gluten in them??  I've used a pure one from mexico in my banana bread recipe and my daughter didn't seem to react to it at all, but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.  The only thing I can see that might be a problem is that it has 2% alcohol in it.  Is that a problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are really concerned, you can use vanilla beans - a quick search on the Internet will tell you how to substitute.

I make my own due to a corn intolerance.

I don't know of any vanillas that aren't gluten-free. The alcohol in it would be distilled.

Last time I checked, McCormick used a synthetic alcohol that wasn't grain based at all, but that could have changed. Anyway, if a McCormick product has gluten it will be clearly listed.

richard

How?  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm found this...

Here's How:

1. Split vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife.

2. Place in jar with 3/4 cup vodka.

3. Be sure bean is completely covered with vodka.

4. Seal tightly.

5. Let stand in a cool, dark place for 4 to 6 months.

6. Shake jar occasionally during the standing time.

Tips:

1. Extract will strengthen upon standing.

2. Store, tightly-sealed, indefinitely in a cool, dark place.

3. Place a few drops of vanilla extract on a cotton ball. Place in custard cup in back of refrigerator to diffuse odors.

Hmmmmmm

Vanilla beans in a bottle with vodka in a dark cabinet for about 6 months (shake about once a month). I use potato vodka.

Vanilla beans in a bottle with vodka in a dark cabinet for about 6 months (shake about once a month). I use potato vodka.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well wel well I never knew be taht simple. With van extract costing so much gonna have to research price to do this.

I was having a problem with Tone's (which everyone says is gluten-free).

I switched to Flavorganics and haven't had any problems since.

I kept a food journal and even recreated the same menu, with the vanilla being the only difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interstinly enough Vanilla isn't on Tone's gluten free list. I had sent an email back to them awhile ago, at that time asking about spice islands spices, and they sent back and Word Doc containing what spices Tune's/Durkee/Spice Islands were gluten-free.

Their vanilla isn't on there. For any of the above metioned brand. THough vanilla beans are.

Authentic Foods also makes a powdered gluten-free vanilla that can be quite useful for recipes that aren't baked that you don't want the alcohol taste in.