Chitowngirl

Elisa Igg Results- Looking For Insight

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for over a year. I just received results back from my Alletess ELISA IgG test that I did a few weeks ago. So, right now the only gluten allergy/sensitivity coming up is Rye. I haven't had products containing rye or rye bread in years. I'm also allergic/sensitive to baker's yeast, which is another product that I rarely ingest. Both wheat and flour were 'normal'. This is the first food allergy testing that I've had done. I've been told to take the results somewhat with a grain of salt due to the leaky gut that I'm still trying to heal, but I'm still considering it n revealing and insightful because I haven't had gluten in a long time, so I'm wondering why would rye be the only gluten coming up, if it's the same gluten. I carry the rarest of genes associated with celiac and have never tested positive on the antibody tests. I have two other known AI diseases. 

When I had my test, I was told that if I hadn't taken in gluten or other test food for a long while that it would false negative.  To prepare for the test I tried to take in each of the 60 test items at least once and hopefully twice in the two weeks before the blood was drawn.  I already knew that I had problems with wheat and would not eat that.  You need to be exposed to wheat in order to have antibodies to it. 

Did you have low level antibodies to other foods, or did you have 0's?  I showed leaky gut and that caused me to have low level antibodies to 49 of 60 foods.  I did have foods test positive I hadn't eaten.  I was told that some foods are in the same families, so it can test positive when you haven't eaten it.  Sometimes too, you may not realize that your food contains another food.  Like I tested positive for coffee, but am not a coffee drinker.  I think it may be in the carob powder as the same factory grinds and packages it.

Do you know if your total IgG is normal?

My test helped me a lot.  I stopped eating the foods I had antibodies too and started feeling better 4 days later.  I hope all of the same for you.  I know it can be quite tricky to find foods, but I found it possible and am glad for it.

I am not sure what you mean by rare genetics.  My genetics are DQ2 and DQ8 and I tested positive with low antibodies to wheat although I had not eat any on purpose recently.

D

According to those test kit sites, antibodies are high when you are consuming a food, so if you do not have any showing for wheat, it is because you have been "gluten Free".

So, unless you have been eating rye bread, you should not show high antibodies to the food.

That's assuming these tests are valid.

I do not know how to say this but "food intolerance testing" is not considered valid for diagnosing "food intolerances".

Yes, I know many holistic doctors and chiropractors use them, but that does not make them valid.

I know  so many people pay tons of money for these tests (and I was one of them long before I knew what I know now and before my celiac diagnosis. Mine did not show any problem with wheat, rye or barley, so take that for what it's worth. <_< )

However, the truth is they are not clinically relevant.

I cannot tell you how many people have told me they test positive for foods they do not even eat!!

This makes no sense,

How is this possible---since high antibodies should only be present if there is continual consumption of the food protein?

From the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology & American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: Allergy diagnostic testing: an updated practice parameter:

IgG and IgG subclass antibody tests for food allergy do not have clinical relevance, are not validated, lack sufficient quality control, and should not be performed.

also:

From the Food Allergy InitiativeIgG Testing: This test checks your blood for the presence of food-specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies. Unlike IgE antibodies, which occur in abnormally large quantities in people with allergies, IgG antibodies are found in both allergic and non-allergic people. Experts believe that the production of IgG antibodies is a normal response to eating food and that this test is not helpful in diagnosing a food allergy.

READ this, please

http://www.foodallergy.org/diagnosis-testing/unproven-testing

If you want to read the science behind this:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

No celiac disease center finds them relevant either. Sorry.

Sorry.  Those don't test for Celiac or much of anything.  They may get lucky and hit a few.  There may be a placebo effect of eliminating foods.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/can-the-elisa-igg-food-panel-detect-gluten-sensitivity