NanaV

Lab Results For 15Yo Daughter, Question

Rate this topic

Her tests mostly point to her NOT having celiac. I'm grateful. However, I'm wondering if her labs are showing a gluten sensitivity.

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum  224 mg/dL        The range is 77-278. So, this isn't flagged on her lab report. Should I dismiss this data or is it signifying a gluten sensitivity?

She did show a dozen other flags on her labs. Her MCHC is low (31.1 in a range of 31.5-35.7), so perhaps her iron is low. Her Eos is high (8% in range of 0-5%). Doc says this shows she's reacting allergically to something, but we don't know what. Her Monocytes are high also. Her Vit D 25-Hydroxy is low at 24.4 ng/mL  (range 30-100).

Any suggestions about where I should head from here? Does this lab data mean something? Is it normal to have low Vit D and low iron at age 15?

And she has an elevated liver marker. Lord knows what that means. Ha. Related to gluten? Maybe not.

Thanks for helping!

according to what you wrote, your daughter did not have any celiac tests even run  :(

this test: Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum  224 mg/dL shows that your daughter makes enough IGA however this is a control test, and is not a diagnostic test such as TTG IGA/IGG and DGP IGA/IGG.  Those are the blood tests that need to be run.

these are links to answer your other questions:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-common-nutrient-deficiencies-might-an-adult-experience-prior-to-diagnosis

elevated liver enzymes are a possibility in undiagnosed celiac disease, and sometimes that's a person's only indication he/she has celiac *see link below

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/should-someone-with-elevated-liver-enzymes-be-screened-for-celiac-disease

at this point you need to make sure she gets the full celiac blood panel below, and she needs to continue eating gluten for these tests

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is the only test your daughter has had but in itself it is not diagnostic

I posted these tests in your previous topic as well:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/105015-taking-15yo-for-tests-tomorrow/

Get those correct tests  :)

Her tests mostly point to her NOT having celiac. I'm grateful. However, I'm wondering if her labs are showing a gluten sensitivity.

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum  224 mg/dL        The range is 77-278. So, this isn't flagged on her lab report. Should I dismiss this data or is it signifying a gluten sensitivity?

She did show a dozen other flags on her labs. Her MCHC is low (31.1 in a range of 31.5-35.7), so perhaps her iron is low. Her Eos is high (8% in range of 0-5%). Doc says this shows she's reacting allergically to something, but we don't know what. Her Monocytes are high also. Her Vit D 25-Hydroxy is low at 24.4 ng/mL  (range 30-100).

Any suggestions about where I should head from here? Does this lab data mean something? Is it normal to have low Vit D and low iron at age 15?

And she has an elevated liver marker. Lord knows what that means. Ha. Related to gluten? Maybe not.

Thanks for helping!

according to what you wrote, your daughter did not have any celiac tests even run  :(

this test: Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum  224 mg/dL shows that your daughter makes enough IGA however this is a control test, and is not a diagnostic test such as TTG IGA/IGG and DGP IGA/IGG.  Those are the blood tests that need to be run.

these are links to answer your other questions:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-common-nutrient-deficiencies-might-an-adult-experience-prior-to-diagnosis

elevated liver enzymes are a possibility in undiagnosed celiac disease, and sometimes that's a person's only indication he/she has celiac *see link below

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/should-someone-with-elevated-liver-enzymes-be-screened-for-celiac-disease

at this point you need to make sure she gets the full celiac blood panel below, and she needs to continue eating gluten for these tests

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is the only test your daughter has had but in itself it is not diagnostic

I posted these tests in your previous topic as well:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/105015-taking-15yo-for-tests-tomorrow/

Get those correct tests  :)

She did have the celiac tests, but the results all said negative so I didn't post them all. She had:

deamidated gliadin abs, IgA & IgG, both 3

t-Transglutaminase IgA  <2

tTG IgG  <2

Endomysial antibody IgA   negative

were any of them borderline positive with the reference ranges?  I'm curious as to what the doctor said about the elevated liver number.  Is there any other reason you were able to come up with as to why it may be elevated?

She did have the celiac tests, but the results all said negative so I didn't post them all. She had:

deamidated gliadin abs, IgA & IgG, both 3

t-Transglutaminase IgA  <2

tTG IgG  <2

Endomysial antibody IgA   negative

None of her celiac numbers were borderline positive.

We don't have any other reasons her liver # is high. Doc recommended she take milk thistle for a month (and iron & Vit C & D) and be retested. Seems odd. I'm wondering if I should take her lab report over to her pediatrician for a traditional med approach now. This blood test doc practices natural & Eastern medicine. 

Yep, she's serologically negative. She could still have celiac disease, as found via endoscopic biopsy, but it would not be likely... I've seen it happen but it's in the minority.

Are you thinking she is non-celiac gluten intolerant (NCGI)? Is she going o go gluten-free for at least three months (six is better) to look for improvements to her health?

Good luck.

Honestly, I don't think I can convince her to go gluten-free since the tests don't point to anything in particular. She is very aware that if she goes gluten-free, she may become MORE sensitive to gluten, and she doesn't want that to happen.

Now I'm getting gene tested & we'll have a final answer.

I don't (personally) believe that one becomes more sensitive to gluten - either you are sensitive or you not. I do believe that symptoms can become more obvious and uncomfortable once you actually become healthy. When you eat a food you are sensitive to, a body will "mal-adapt" so you can handle constantly being ill or in pain. The body makes illness the new normal so reacting to a hot dog bun isn't as obvious of a hit to your health because you are already on a much lower level of health... does that make sense?

I don't think there are sensitivity levels to gluten either, just a wide variety of symptoms that vary in severity.  :(

I do hope she comes around.  Good luck to you!

I think getting the gene test next is a great step.  Is your significant other going to be tested as well?  

hmmm I think it would be beneficial to have your daughter try a gluten-free diet, but if she's not onboard with it because there isn't evidence to back it up that will be challenging.

I am still stuck on that elevated liver number, the low iron and low vit. D since those are all very characteristic of celiac.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/0610CeliacCtr_Newslinks.pdf

If it were me, I'd still want to find out the reason for the elevated liver number and take her information to the ped for the traditional med approach.  

good luck!

Honestly, I don't think I can convince her to go gluten-free since the tests don't point to anything in particular. She is very aware that if she goes gluten-free, she may become MORE sensitive to gluten, and she doesn't want that to happen.

Now I'm getting gene tested & we'll have a final answer.