This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So, When Do The Symptoms Stop?

C-Girl

C-Girl Contributor

I'm past one month gluten free, have been extremely diligent thanks to the support of my husband and nutritionist, but can't shake the big D.

I've given up, in addition to gluten: chocolate, coffee, alcohol, all FODMAPs foods (dairy, onion, garlic, fruits, beans, all sugary drinks except a small glass of OJ) and I still have had diarrhea on a nearly daily basis.

I've also been taking digestive enzymes with meals, eating mostly home cooked, whole foods like eggs, rice, potatoes, greens, meat. My only cheat is one or two gluten free cookies and maybe some kettle chips.

Does it go away? I'm still dropping weight, albeit not as startlingly as at first, and at least i'm not having D 6x/day - only once or twice. 

I am absolutely certain I've taken every step to eliminate gluten contamination so it must be either one of the 5 things I have been eating... doctor suggested maybe microscopic colitis in addition to the celiac, but I really, really dont' want to go in for the colonoscopy just to find that out. The endoscopy made me sick enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Simple answer is that you need more time. One month is not that long, and it usually takes several to heal. It sounds like you're doing everything right though, so there is the possibility that you have another intolerance. Are you still eating dairy? You could try dropping that and see what happens.

Maybe others will have better advice?

Hang in there!

w8in4dave Community Regular

Great job on your new diet! I agree tho give it time! I am almost 6 months! I am now starting to feel better :) Keep up the good diet!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

If you want to know when your started healing, I would say, "One month ago!"  You cannot always feel the progress, at least I couldn't.  But you are getting somewhere.  Your recovery will be depending on how long you were ill, what nutrients you give your body, and how good of detective you are for any other intolerances.  I hope you will be feeling progress and feeling overwhelmed with that soon.

D

cap6 Enthusiast

It took me almost two years to heal.  The length of time can vary greatly from person to person depending on how severely you were sick, how old you were, how long did you suffer undiagnosed.  A month is just the beginning, a great beginning tho! 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

It sounds like you're off to a great start!  My only suggestion is that if you're essentially only eating the same 5 foods every day you may want to try eating a greater variety of vegetables.  Different veggies have different nutrients that your body needs - especially now - and it makes the gluten-free diet much more tollerable.

moosemalibu Collaborator

doctor suggested maybe microscopic colitis in addition to the celiac, but I really, really dont' want to go in for the colonoscopy just to find that out. The endoscopy made me sick enough.

I was also told by my doctor that if my symptoms do not fully resolve on the gluten-free diet that he wanted to check me for microscopic colitis. I'm about the same schedule as you as far as recovery goes but you've got me beat on the D. I still go 3-5x/day. But I was eating gluten-free oats and I think that was not helping my situation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

Some psyillium husks might help, and pro-biotics.  I don't think you need a colonoscopy at this point.  Your gut is healing and that takes time.  The auto-immune attack takes some time to taper off also.  Is the kettle corn gluten-free and dairy free?  That might be something to try not eating for a few days.

GretaJane Newbie

You might have bacterial overgrowth. You can get tested for that.

Eat more probiotics and try cutting out all grains for a while. They all contain a little bit of cc.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I had a bacterial overgrowth years ago - I forget the test they ran now, but the target number was under 200 and I was at 12,000.  Anyhow, I really, really, really did not want antibiotics (they don't discriminate and just go in and kill everybody)  so I went to a nutritionist who suggested Colosan (I've mentioned it on here before).  It is a magnesium oxide powder that breaks apart in your intestine, releasing oxygen.  Oxygen naturally kills bad bacteria (which are anaerobic) and simultaneously feeds the good bacteria - which need oxygen.  It took about 6 months of taking it every day to get my number back down under 200.  I still take a little bit every day with my Metamucil in the morning, along with a probiotic and other vitamins.

C-Girl Contributor

Thanks everyone - I guess I will try and be patient. I'm hoping I can start getting some more variety in the diet, but right now a lot of things cause problems - salad, dairy, chocolate (sigh!) any sort of cabbage or its relatives (brussel sprouts!). It's getting really dull and if I cut out all grains I wouldn't be eating anything except meat. I think I shall stick with potatoes and rice, thanks! I'll be bored for a while longer and pray the guts will heal quickly.

On a positive note, after $3000 of blood work, I'm confident that I'm getting enough vitamins. They all checked out normal. Too bad my bank account hasn't. :-D

moosemalibu Collaborator

On a positive note, after $3000 of blood work, I'm confident that I'm getting enough vitamins. They all checked out normal. Too bad my bank account hasn't. :-D

My diagnosis was also hard on me financially. And I'm not done paying my bills yet. :blink:

w8in4dave Community Regular

I think Diane is right! It depends on how long you were sick and how much damage you have had. no one is the same. just stick to the gluten-free diet. Eat healthy and you will feel better soon. Good Luck! 

livinthelife Apprentice

I'm just over two weeks in and my life has changed. I'm definitely not all the way healed but my energy level coming up keeps me eating right and helps with a positive attitude. My whole family even raved over dinner last night - and they actually sounded sincere! 

I'm taking sublingual B12, calcium, probiotics and extra daily vitamins. I'm also eating better than I have in years, which I think also helps. I proudly announced to all my family and friends that, for three days, I was tooting with confidence. LOUD AND PROUD!!! Sorry if that's too much information, but it's these little things that mean that most!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Archived