Nikaia

Test Results Sufficient Enough To Be Negative?

Rate this topic

Hello! I have Hashimoto's (weakly positive) and went to my endo on 12/4 for my yearly check up and asked her what she thought about going gluten free and if those with autoimmune diseases benefit from them. She said several people did as long as they went the natural food route and did not just substitue gluten filled processed food with gluten free processed food. I told her I was wanting to try it to see if I would feel better and she told me she wanted to test me for celiac before I did anything. My main concern is fatigue but that could easily be due my Hashimoto's or even my less than stellar diet. I never have diarrhea or constipation, my only symptom that may correlate with celiac or gluten inrolerance is I do get bloating after eating sometimes but havent paid much attention to if its afte I eat gluten or not. I have looked on this forum to see people's test results and what I should be asking when I get my results back. My doctor only calls when something of concern shows up and she ended up mailing my test results in the mail. The results I got look different from everyone elses in that it seems as if several antibodies were tested but I was only given one number as a result.

I will write down exactly what the lab showed in my letter.

Test Name: Celiac Screen

Result: 5 U

Celiac Screen Interpretation:

Negative: <20

Weak Positive: 20-30

Positive: >30

Celiac Screen detects IgA and IgG antibodies to deamidated gliadin and tissue transglutaminase.

It almost looks as if IgA DMG, IgA tTg, IgG DMG, and IgG tTg were tested if I am not mistaken, but most people got results for each one specifically but I was just given a result of 5 U. Would this be because all were a result of 5? Her notes to me were that everything was completely normal and to go ahead with a gluten free diet to see how I felt and do the elimination diet to see if I could possibly be sensitive, in that case it would make me feel better.

Sorry for such a long post just not sure how to interpret it!

Jen 

Edited by Nikaia

I don't know what the "5" represents in your letter but I would request a copy of the actual lab results from the where ever you had them done. Then if you still have questions (we all usually do!), you can post the results here along with the reference ranges. 

Good luck with the gluten-free diet and hope you feel better  :)

Hi! What I posted was the copy of the lab results that's why I was confused because it looks so different than what I've seen!

Hmmm, sorry. I thought that was a letter you received summing up results. I've not seen a lab's celiac disease panel listed with just one result. There are several tests to run so I would think you would have several test results. Maybe someone else will be along who can interpret it?

I would call the doctor and ask them to explain this to you.  It looks like they only ran one test.

For what it's worth, you don't have to have intestinal symptoms to have Celiac.  I didn't have any symptoms at all.  That said, if you do not have Celiac you may still benefit from the gluten-free diet.  The only way to know for sure is to try it.  But to really know, you have to go 100% gluten-free. 

Are you sure the results were directly from the lab?  Did the doctor just try to summarize your results?  Maybe she left out a page whens he was transcribing the letter?  I went to Quest Lab's website and they can provide you a copy of the lab results, but it can take up to 30 days and they can only do it for certain states.  It might be better/faster for you to contact your doctor.  

Thank you! I actually requested my lab results from Quest, they said 3-4 days for the reports. Hopefully that will show a more clear answer. I'm going to the store tonight and going to slow cook some bone broth I heard that's good for intestinal permeability if that's an issue, if not it won't hurt!