brendastarr

Do Any Of These Symptoms Sound Like Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

Ever since 2010 I have been experiencing these symptoms and have gone to several different doctors with these symptoms, but none of them have been able to really help me in any way.  Since I'm now in my mid-30s, I've attributed these issues with getting older, but I don't want to just brush these things off as annoyances anymore that I have to tolerate.  Have any of you experienced these symptoms? Do you think I might have celiac disease. So, here they are:

I have mild endometriosis

My hida scan of my gallbladder was 0%

I am lactose intolerant

Been feeling depressed and have experienced anxiety and panic attacks off and on since 2010

I gained 10+ pounds quite quickly in 2010 and have not been able to lose it no matter how much exercise I get

Within 1.5 years after getting a dental xray and check-up, I had 8 cavities

I experience random knee pain during and not during my period

Sometimes my index fingers become puffy and swollen

I had low iron (but it did go up a little)

Vitamin D deficient

I have weird lower right abdominal pain during my period and not during my period

Experience diarrhea, bloating, and flatulence weekly

Have had hair loss for several months 2 years ago, but it went away. I was on the Mirena at the time and it might be b/c of that.

I've also been noticing problems recalling words and past experiences occasionally

Yes, It sounds like celiac!  But now when you are thinking of it perhaps you could get tested for it!  You need to keep eating gluten until you are tested.  You need to get a FULL celiac panel.

Here are some of the symptoms which you share as I had:

Dental problems. I guess you were taking care of your teeth and eating well when your cavities showed up?  I feel so sad when I go to the dentists for more lectures every 6 months.

I became so depressed in 2007 I would watch my children work in the garden while crying:(  I just couldn't get myself to go.

Anxiety:  I am still dealing with it, but sometimes it has gone away since gluten free.

Puffy fingers, I might add that I am figuring out that I puff everywhere.  I notice it most in abdomen and thighs.  The shoe store lady  told me that my feet swell. There was a crack line over the toes on the shoe that she said indicated that.

Bloating:  This was my only abdominal symptom.

Anemia:  I had a high iron diet, but still required iron supplements.

Vitamin D deficiency.

Hair loss.  I have no hair on arms or legs.  The hair on my head is thin.

I didn't tolerate milk.

I know many other people on the forum share these symptoms also.  I have been around 20 months or so.

Other symptoms you didn't mention that you have, that I had include Brain fog, fatigue, and lack of energy.  But you may have meant those when you said confusion? 

I would say go through some testing while you are still eating gluten.  When you are done, with either a positive or negative result, try the gluten free diet.  You can spend time learning about it now as you wait for your tests to be done.

My story in brief:  You see my symptoms.  I shared my life with brain fog and fatigue for 30 years.  I went gluten free 20 months back.  My mind is clear.  I have energy.  I am here to tell you that things can get better for you.

D

Yes, those could be symptoms of celiac disease, you might as well get tested. This is list of symptoms to consider, and perhaps to give to your doctor: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf

Request as many tests as are available to you:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG
  • EMA IgA
  • total serum IgA (control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable tests)

Continue eating gluten until all testing is done. Keep in mind that false negative can happen in blood tests; they arent common but they do happen.

There is genetic testing to see if you are more prone to getting the diease. DQ2 and DQ8 will let you know if you have a higher chance of getting celiac disease but there are a small minority who have celiac disease even though they do not have the DQ2 or DQ8 genes. It's not fool proof either.

There is also the endoscopic biopsy. If you have that done, make sure the doctors take at least 6 samples. Again, false negatives are a possibility.

Good luck with the testing and welcome to the board

Do you still have your gallbladder? I had mine removed when the HIDA scan showed 0% functionality eight years ago. A non- functioning gallbladder has always been known as the family curse and now we know that celiac disease is too!

Hope you feel better soon!

Do you still have your gallbladder? I had mine removed when the HIDA scan showed 0% functionality eight years ago. A non- functioning gallbladder has always been known as the family curse and now we know that celiac disease is too!

Hope you feel better soon!

Yes, I still have my gallbladder and haven't had major issues with it since my first gallbladder attack 2 years ago.  Sometimes I feel some pain in the area of my gallbladder, but it isn't as painful as the initial attack. Thanks so much, I am going to get tested very soon.

Thank you so much for your reply, I will bring your list of tests when I go in to the doctor soon. I really want to get to the bottom of my symptoms 

Yes, those could be symptoms of celiac disease, you might as well get tested. This is list of symptoms to consider, and perhaps to give to your doctor: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf

Request as many tests as are available to you:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG
  • EMA IgA
  • total serum IgA (control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable tests)

Continue eating gluten until all testing is done. Keep in mind that false negative can happen in blood tests; they arent common but they do happen.

There is genetic testing to see if you are more prone to getting the diease. DQ2 and DQ8 will let you know if you have a higher chance of getting celiac disease but there are a small minority who have celiac disease even though they do not have the DQ2 or DQ8 genes. It's not fool proof either.

There is also the endoscopic biopsy. If you have that done, make sure the doctors take at least 6 samples. Again, false negatives are a possibility.

Good luck with the testing and welcome to the board

Thank you so much for sharing your story, we have a lot of the same symptoms which is leading me to believe more and more that I might have celiac.  I hope your health is getting better being gluten free. Were you able to figure out if your celiac disease was hereditary? 

Yes, It sounds like celiac!  But now when you are thinking of it perhaps you could get tested for it!  You need to keep eating gluten until you are tested.  You need to get a FULL celiac panel.

Here are some of the symptoms which you share as I had:

Dental problems. I guess you were taking care of your teeth and eating well when your cavities showed up?  I feel so sad when I go to the dentists for more lectures every 6 months.

I became so depressed in 2007 I would watch my children work in the garden while crying:(  I just couldn't get myself to go.

Anxiety:  I am still dealing with it, but sometimes it has gone away since gluten free.

Puffy fingers, I might add that I am figuring out that I puff everywhere.  I notice it most in abdomen and thighs.  The shoe store lady  told me that my feet swell. There was a crack line over the toes on the shoe that she said indicated that.

Bloating:  This was my only abdominal symptom.

Anemia:  I had a high iron diet, but still required iron supplements.

Vitamin D deficiency.

Hair loss.  I have no hair on arms or legs.  The hair on my head is thin.

I didn't tolerate milk.

I know many other people on the forum share these symptoms also.  I have been around 20 months or so.

Other symptoms you didn't mention that you have, that I had include Brain fog, fatigue, and lack of energy.  But you may have meant those when you said confusion? 

I would say go through some testing while you are still eating gluten.  When you are done, with either a positive or negative result, try the gluten free diet.  You can spend time learning about it now as you wait for your tests to be done.

My story in brief:  You see my symptoms.  I shared my life with brain fog and fatigue for 30 years.  I went gluten free 20 months back.  My mind is clear.  I have energy.  I am here to tell you that things can get better for you.

D

Yes, I still have my gallbladder and haven't had major issues with it since my first gallbladder attack 2 years ago.  Sometimes I feel some pain in the area of my gallbladder, but it isn't as painful as the initial attack. Thanks so much, I am going to get tested very soon.

If you can keep your body parts, that is the best solution. Had I known about celiac disease, I may have been able to save my gallbladder. It was infected, so it had to come out.

My genetics were 2 copies of DQ2 and 2 copies of DQ8...Totally positive.  I received genes from both father and mother's sign.  Neither family had diagnosed celiac.  There have been many gallbladder issues, and diabetes.  I think diabetes is on one of those genes.

Yes, my health is improving.  I feel so much better!  I hope all of the same for you about feeling better.

D

This is a good report to take to the doctor's office too. On page 12 it shows how specific and sensitive all of the tests are, as well as showing that sensitivity goes up if multiple tests are run.

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

Best wishes