BlessedMommy

How To Discuss It With Doctor

Rate this topic

My 2 year old daughter is on a regular diet (gluten containing, though not gluten heavy since my household gluten-free) and her check up is coming up soon. Should I mention to the doctor about our family history of problems and ask him if he would be wiling to run a celiac blood panel if she starts showing symptoms?

Or should I not bother discussing it with him until and unless the need arises?

I had my 13 year old daughter tested and she showed no symptoms. Neither did I -- just anemia which was blamed on a genetic anemia and peri menopause, but I had celiac disease. I did wait a year though for insurance reasons before testing her and her results were negative. If your baby is doing well and thriving you might want to wait. It seems like it is harder to get good tests results from a small child per prior posters.

I'd def talk to him! even if he doesn't do anything! Talk to him! He will have it in the records you talked to him about it. If she starts to have symptoms then it's all recorded.

Why is it harder to get better results when testing a smaller child?

Often there has not been enough time for the antibodies to reach a positive level.

...and the endoscopy can be negative - again to early levels of damage or spotty damage.

That is why...the removal of gluten is so very important if tests are negative.  My kids were teens with negative antibody panels when I was diagnosed -- my own antibodies were all weak positive with completely destroyed villi.  The variance involved with both antibodies and biopsy is very frustrating and still being researched with regard to Celiac and NCGS.

Our doctor tests my non-celiac son (age 11) every two years . . . sooner if symptoms develop.  Many with Celiac have no symptoms at all so you can't really count on that happening.  All first degree relatives on someone diagnosed with celiac should be tested on a regular basis.  I don't know if it is different for toddlers.