d33dee1988

Getting A Kitten?

Rate this topic

So I told my friend I would adopt this kitten from her and I'm super excited about it. Me and my boyfriend are about to move into a new apartment that's cat friendly, so everything should be good. 

My dad keeps telling me not to get a cat? No clue why! He says they always get fleas and you can't get rid of them. i can't help but think he is exaggerating. After all, when I was a kid our cats went outside. it was before the dawn of frontline on a mass scale. I think they had fleas sometimes, but all my parents were using were those collars. 

Any tips? I don't know why he always has to fuss over everything!!

any animal  that  goes  or lives outside  can get  fleas. Fleas  can be  brought  into  the  home  on  your  shoes/clothes  you don't  have to be  sitting  on grass  !  perhaps  your  Dad  does  not care for  cats....

Since  fleas  & ticks  were  terrible  the last  few  years the  frontline,  advantage  & so on  seemed not to work  very  well. Hopefully  this  cold  hard  winter  has  killed  off  a lot....but  there  is  a  new  flea/tick  collar  available  now  called" Seresto"  for  both  dog & cat....I  can vouch  for  this  collar.... used  it  last  year  on  many dogs/cats.....it  is  about  $49.00  for last  eight  months....the old  flea  collars  did nothing  ....it  has  no  smell....

Also keep in  mind to neuter  /spay  the  kitty...  Your  kitty  will be  healthiest  & safest indoors  being outside only  when  you are  with  it....pets  are  just  like  small  infants/children & demand  that  much  time & energy...

another  thing  is  if  you are  a super  sensitive  celiac  remember  to feed  your  kitty  gluten free  food  canned  or  dry....

Cats are great pets. If you plan to keep the cat inside you can still get fleas. The cat can be treated with a topical flea medication (Advantage, Revolution, Frontline.. among many others). The flea collars you buy in the pet stores are generally not useful at all. Once an infestation starts it is very hard to control. Prevention is key. For reference I have worked in veterinary medicine for 10 years.

Here is a link about fleas:

http://baileyvet.com/fleas---ticks.html

I have an indoor cat but he still gets fleas because I also have a dog who goes in and out.  Having said that, the dog is on Sentinel with the flea treatment and the cat is on a similar one so fleas haven't been a huge problem for us.  I love our cat, he's such a funny little fellow, can't imagine life without him now he's part of it.  I adopted him from a rescue organisation when he was a kitten 2.5 years ago.  Some people just aren't cat people, I think they may have mice in an earlier life ;)