Rate this topic

Greetings from the U.K. Liking this forum a lot - seems very supportive and informative.

I have been given a positive blood test result today and am currently awaiting a biopsy date. Am just curious about eating gluten until then...I understand I will need to have some in my system when the biopsy done but am keen to start the diet as soon as I can because I think I will struggle with it and I'll have to be disciplined!

I should also mention I have also been diagnosed with gallstones and a possible bile duct blockage so I don't know if this will complicate things?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Chrissie and Welcome to the Forum.

You should keep eating gluten until all testing is complete.  If you have already had the endoscopy procedure and are ONLY waiting for the results then you should be fine to stop eating gluten now, however if you still have to have the procedure then wait until it is finished.

Good Luck.

Colleen

Follow Colleen's advice which is standard Celiac protocol per the University of Chicago's Celiac website (they are one of the leading experts in the field of Celiac Disease).  

Do not do what I did!  Anemia was my only symptom (I attributed my craziness to perimenopause) and I was in shock about my positive celiac blood test.  "Really my husband has this and now me?  What are the odds?"  I know exactly what being gluten free was all about having dealt with it for 13 years, so I went on a binge.  I ate at every restaurant and bakery that I adored for the next seven weeks.  I ate, literally, a loaf of sourdough bread (not within my husband's sight) a day.  I ate every brand of my favorite cookies and goodies.  By the end of seven weeks, I had stomach pain (lump in stomach).  

My advice is to eat normal amounts of gluten until all testing is complete!  By the way, it's been a year and I feel pretty good!  No more anemia!  Back to being physically strong!  

Good luck!

Thank you both for your replies. I was interested to read about the lump in your stomach cycling lady, I often have bloating in my stomach (left side) and I never thought before today that it could be celiac related! I do plan on enjoying as many foods as I can before going gluten free that's for sure!

Thank you both for your replies. I was interested to read about the lump in your stomach cycling lady, I often have bloating in my stomach (left side) and I never thought before today that it could be celiac related! I do plan on enjoying as many foods as I can before going gluten free that's for sure!

You will still enjoy many foods if you have to go gluten-free too!

I promise! 

Enjoy a cinnamon bun for me.  ;)  

All you need is the equivalent of 1-2 slices of bread per day, so you don't need to be excessive and make yourself too sick before getting tested.  If I was you, I would pick my favourites and eat those items until the biopsy... and enjoy the eating out without worrying about being glutened.  ;)

Welcome to the board.  :)

If you see a probable diagnosis coming, just take this time to do your research and look up the foods you already use, what your favorite store carries, etc.  Welcome to the forum, and let us know how everything turns out! :)

Great to hear about those of you who were diagnosed, gone gluten free and now feeling better! I am struggling keeping a positive outlook while testing...it's encouraging to read about the light at the end of the cannoli (tunnel). Lol

Great to hear about those of you who were diagnosed, gone gluten free and now feeling better! I am struggling keeping a positive outlook while testing...it's encouraging to read about the light at the end of the cannoli (tunnel). Lol

:D well, keeping a sense of humor will help tons while healing!

Hi Maggie and welcome to the forum!