This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Halloween Boo Boo

Bette

Bette Explorer

Okay I am trying to figure out why I am reacting to a Snickers bar, that I snuck out of my daughters candy last night. I had 2 of the minatures, plain (not the one with the crispies). That's it , I swear :huh: , I am having a definate gluten reaction starting with the big D, this morning, stomach cramping, nauseus, brain fog, and very thirsty.

Has anybody else had a problem with the Snickers bar?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Okay I am trying to figure out why I am reacting to a Snickers bar, that I snuck out of my daughters candy last night. I had 2 of the minatures, plain (not the one with the crispies). That's it , I swear :huh: , I am having a definate gluten reaction starting with the big D, this morning, stomach cramping, nauseus, brain fog, and very thirsty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What else did you eat/drink that day? Have you tested for food allergies, esply egg?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I've heard that the mini Snickers are not gluten-free, but the big ones are. I have NO idea why there would be a difference, but I am quite certain the delphi list says mini snickers are chock-full of gluten. (in Canada, anyway)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Regular snickers bars are ok, the miniature snickers have gluten in them.

VydorScope Proficient
Regular snickers bars are ok, the miniature snickers have gluten in them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Errrrr does not mention it on the bag I have. Nothing on it suggested gluten... although the ones I have say "Fun Size" on them, is that different?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The following are gluten-free: Snickers (except mini's in Canada); Skittles; Starburst; Dove (milk & dark choc); Mars Almond Bar; 3Musketeers; MilkyWay Midnight (all other MilkyWay's are not gluten-free). All mini versions of the above are gluten-free except Snickers in Canada)

That is from the Delphi List

Last time I called the company they told me the mini ones are gluten free..

Vydor-the ones you have I believe to be safe

This is also said on the Delphi list:

M & M Mars will clearly list wheat and barley in the products. The rep said they did not use oats or rye in the candy products.

So unless it says on the package I believe you are safe...maybe you should check to see if you could have been contaminated any other way through products or foods etc.

skbird Contributor

We were at the Grocery Outlet (it's a store) the other day and they had a Snickers Fun Pack, that had about 6 different kinds of candy bar that company makes, including Milky Way Dark. I was tempted to try one of those, I don't usually eat sugar these days but have read the Milky Way Dark is gluten-free. The label on the bag though didn't break down ingredients for all the kinds of bars, just lumped them all in one list, and barley malt was one of the ingredients.

I know there wasn't a Milky Way regular (which has gluten) and all the other ones I'd seen on gluten-free lists so I was surprised, but wondered if it was a mini-bar thing?

Weird that in Canada Snickers Fun Size has gluten but full size does not.

Anyway, hope you figure it out.

STephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

I've been eating the mini Snickers and not having a problem (USA). And as I just found out, I am sensitive down to 31 parts per million. I got glutened by an Amy's Kitchen Shepherd's Pie (gluten-free) and they sent it to the University of Nebraska for testing and that was the amount of gluten it contained. But.... could you be having a problem with lactose or eggs? I would call the company and let them know you suspect a reaction. Maybe there has been some sort of cross-contamination problem at the plant? Boo-hoo is right- Snickers rock!

lovegrov Collaborator

In the U.S. the mini Snickers ARE gluten-free.

richard

Bette Explorer

<_< Thanks for all the replies everybody. I kinda think Stephanie is onto something

We were at the Grocery Outlet (it's a store) the other day and they had a Snickers Fun Pack, that had about 6 different kinds of candy bar that company makes, including Milky Way Dark

I checked out mmmars.com and they do have 2 other candy bars Snickers Krispies and another type (can't remember what it was-it is on their website) that do have gluten in them from barley malt. So I emailed and asked if cross contamination can be an issue (are all these products made in the same facility) and could there be a problem with the multi packs, where the fun size Snicker bars are mixed with the other candy bars that have gluten in them.

I will post the response when I get it. Not everybody has an issue being so sensitive to cross contamination but I am one of the unlucky ones, and it seems to get worse the longer I am gluten free. :angry:

Berneses - Sorry to hear about you being Glutened by Amy's Kitchen Shepherds Pie. Haven't tried that one, just her Mac -n-Cheese, (which I always have stocked for those I don't feel like cooking nights). That is amazing they are testing their food now. I sure wish we had a way to check it out for ourselfs. (Oh great, now I am advocating we all become chemist-to try and figure out what we are eating!)

jrom987 Apprentice
I am sensitive down to 31 parts per million. I got glutened by an Amy's Kitchen Shepherd's Pie (gluten-free) and they sent it to the University of Nebraska for testing and that was the amount of gluten it contained.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am new to this and was wondering 1) how did you find out that you are sensitive down to 31 parts? and 2) who sent it the University of Nebraska for testing? I eat Amy's stuff all the time and have not had any problems with it that I have noticed so I am very curious.

Thanks!

Jo Ann

Guest BERNESES

Hi JoAnn- Welcome! I ate an Amy's Gluten Free/Dairy Free Shepherd's Pie and within two hours was very sick. So, I thought "What the heck? I'll call Amy's" (there's a whole other thread about this called "Mysteriouly glutened by Amy's Kitchen?") So, I called and told them what had happened and they sent two different products that I had reacted to from the same batch to the U of Nebraska (where they routinely send samples for testing) and the results came back that the Shepherd's Pie did have gluten in it- 31 parts per million (U of N can paarently test down to 10 parts per million).

Some of Amy's products copntain the warning that even though they are gluten-free, they ARE processed in a plant that also processes wheat. However, after talking with the rep, she said that they sanitize and test their own equipment regularly BUT they just started getting some ingredients from a new supplier who also processes wheat in their factory so they are going to check with that supplier.

Unfortunately, it seems for me, cross-contamination is a BIG problem.

Bette- I have long thought about how great it would be if you could just stick a little thing in your food to test it before you eat it! How great would that be? A little gluten-o-meter that you could just carry around with you. There's gotta be a way someone can make one. Maybe I'll stop my doctorate in education and become a mad scientist!

eeyor-fan Contributor

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad I'm not the only one who made a Boo Boo at Halloween. My tummy is still sore. On the gluten list it had Newman's Own Organic :( dark chocolate sweet bars...believe me, the list was wrong and I should not have trusted it so much because when I went back and read the ingediance...for sur there was gluten in it. I'm a moron! :huh:

jrom987 Apprentice
Hi JoAnn- Welcome! I ate an Amy's Gluten Free/Dairy Free Shepherd's Pie and within two hours was very sick. So, I thought "What the heck? I'll call Amy's" (there's a whole other thread about this called "Mysteriouly glutened by Amy's Kitchen?") So, I called and told them what had happened and they sent two different products that I had reacted to from the same batch to the U of Nebraska (where they routinely send samples for testing) and the results came back that the Shepherd's Pie did have gluten in it- 31 parts per million (U of N can paarently test down to 10 parts per million).

Some of Amy's products copntain the warning that even though they are gluten-free, they ARE processed in a plant that also processes wheat. However, after talking with the rep, she said that they sanitize and test their own equipment regularly BUT they just started getting some ingredients from a new supplier who also processes wheat in their factory so they are going to check with that supplier.

Unfortunately, it seems for me, cross-contamination is a BIG problem.

Bette- I have long thought about how great it would be if you could just stick a little thing in your food to test it before you eat it! How great would that be? A little  gluten-o-meter that you could just carry around with you. There's gotta be a way someone can make one. Maybe I'll stop my doctorate in education and become a mad scientist!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found on a cool website:

"Have you ever used a Gluten Home Test Kit?

I was over the moon when I discovered I could buy a gluten home test kit from Tepnel. On my travels, I had frequently been made ill by products marked 'gluten free' and desperately needed some way to test them.

It was slightly less exciting to find out that the test kit costs over £30 and could only be used 5 times. It only tested for >200ppm (200 parts per million), which is too high for my sensitivity.

I got a kit and tried it out, but the LCD screen was difficult to read and I couldn't really place any confidence in the results I got, so it was back to avoiding anything that wasn't made by Orgran, whose food I have never had problems with.

This was a couple of years ago, and I have just been back to look at the details of the Tepnel Home Gluten Test Kit (links to a pdf document).

It looks as if the test kit has changed, and now comes with a high sensitivity 16 ppm, as well as one for higher levels of 160ppm. This sounds much better, and I think I'll order one to try it out."

Interesting, huh? I am going to look further into this but thought someone else might be as interested as I am!

Jo Ann

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
I'm glad I'm not the only one who made a Boo Boo at Halloween. My tummy is still sore. On the gluten list it had Newman's Own Organic :(  dark chocolate sweet bars...believe me, the list was wrong and I should not have trusted it so much because when I went back and read the ingediance...for sur there was gluten in it. I'm a moron! :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lists are good for guidelines but I have definitely learned to always check the ingredients no matter what.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I also got sick when I tried Amy's Shepherd's pie once. Never tried it again. I must also be that sensitive......

Karen

Archived