Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

I wondering if anyone knows if the supplement "Celiact" - celiac with a t on the end - contains trace amounts of milk (casein and/or lactose) in it? I am having trouble finding the answer by going to stores that sell the product. Some reviews by customers reference that it does have trace amounts of milk in it. The supplement works miracles for me but I am casein intolerant. I can handle trace amounts of casein in butter. However, my mother may not, and I don't want her taking this supplement if it has milk bi-products in it. 

Hi Blu,

Have you contacted the manufacturer?  Usually they will be able to give you the best, most up to date information.  If you do, post your response here to help others :)  Welcome to the forum! 

Thanks. I am having trouble finding contact info for the manufacturer. I'll keep looking and I will definitely post what I find out.

Here is an address and email, right on their website

http://www.celiact.com/gfds?utm_source=celiac&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=120x600

Thanks kareng. I emailed the company and got the following response:

Hi Blu,

CeliAct is dairy-free / casein-free. We test all inventory in a third party lab before it can be sold. There is an undetectable amount of both dairy and casein in CeliAct.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Best,

-- 

Giliah Nagar | General Manager | CeliAct

I emailed Giliah Nagar back asking her to clarify what "undetectable" means but haven't gotten a response so far. I am wondering if "undetectable" means that they meet the legal requirement for the amount of milk in the supplement to be considered to be technically "milk free". Or perhaps milk is involved in the process of manufacturing some of the ingredients but the end product has little to no milk in it.
I do hope for transparency-sake that the celiAct manufacturers get back to me. Otherwise there is too much room for conjecture on the part of their customers and they might lose business unnecessarily. 
The product has been amazing for me and my cousin. We both have Celiac. Some of my symptoms disappeared soon after taking it and return if I don't take it. I am casein intolerant but can handle small amounts. However, I don't want to recommend celiAct to people who cannot afford to have even the smallest trace of milk in their diet.

I received clarification from Giliah Nagar, General Manager of Celiact, as to what "undetectable" amounts of milk in the CeliAct supplement means:

Hi Blu,

Sorry for the late response. It means that machines responsible for detecting a certain allergen only search for it to a certain level. This is how allergen testing works in food and supplements. There are cutoff amounts where tools will not attempt to detect below (for dairy, for example, it is below 5 PPM and for gluten, it is below 3 PPM). If the tools cannot detect for those amounts, then the results for allergen testing come back as “undetectable” to those amounts.

Does that make a little more sense now?

Thanks,

-- 

Giliah Nagar | General Manager | CeliAct