user001

Best Exercise Options

Rate this topic

So I am recently diagnosed, over the years I have accumulated so many aches and pains, Im losing count. I have arthritis all over, my back and fingers are the worst though. Whats the best form of exercise for keeping healthy and maybe even weight loss down the road?

Do you have access to a swimming pool or is there a public pool with water exercise classes?

If pool exercise is not an option...then walk....doesn't matter if you start with just walking out your front door. Walk every day and eventually you'll be walking much farther than your front yard...I find music helps!

I need to learn how to swim a little better. I assume the practice would be good exercise. I usually walk alot but find that walking on pavement makes me joints hurt even worse. I am certainly not cut out for living in a city, much prefer the rail trails where i used to live.

You really don't have to learn how to swim.  Just paddling around and using a float thing and kicking will help.  You can walk the length of the pool swinging your arms by your side (waist high water so hands get in water)  Do it backwards and sideways.  Hold onto the side and do leg lifts, front, back and side.  Knee bends.  Use the corner, hands out, elbows bent and squeeze should bones back.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Colleen

Ditto what Colleen said....the shallow end of the pool is all you need...the water is simply more forgiving on our painful joints and muscles...the hardest part is often getting in or out...but always worth the effort.

You don't need a class...but if your local pool has one it would be worth it to help get you moving and more confident in the water :)

YMCA's usually have a warm and cold pool.  You want the warm.  You can get financial aid at the Y too if you need it.  I'm a silver sneaker because of my SSD.

Colleen

Thanks so much. I can't believe i never thought of it. I am a non traditional student (30yo) at a state university. I moved down here a year ago to attend. The university has a few fitness centers and all have multiple pools. Access to the fitness centers and pools are included in my tuition.

Thanks so much. I can't believe i never thought of it. I am a non traditional student (30yo) at a state university. I moved down here a year ago to attend. The university has a few fitness centers and all have multiple pools. Access to the fitness centers and pools are included in my tuition.

Excellent :D

I agree with the pool or walking.  My lupus manifests as arthritis and pool exercise is the best thing I can do,  as long as the water isn't stark cold.  I also walk.