BlessedMommy

Help Me With Pie Crusts!

Rate this topic

You will have to use the vegan shortening.  I suggest you check out Cybele Pascal's recipe books.  I LOVE, love, love, The Allergen-free Baker's Handbook (how to bake without gluten, wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame)

I have not baked the original pie crust recipe, but I have made some of the other pie crust recipes (cornmeal galette) it was yummy and my family loves many of these recipes. cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, and blueberry boy bait.  In fact my daughter seems to be tolerating eggs now ~ but I'm still using these recipes!

I don't remember where I got this recipe but I have used it a couple times and it seems to work ok.  I changed a couple ingredients, this is exactly what I used.

1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)

1 Tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/4 tsp salt

6 Tbsp cold lard

1 egg

2 tsp lemon juice

mix all dry ingredients & butter until crumbly, then add egg & lemon juice.  Mix until it all holds together.

Shape into a ball , put between 2 pieces of wax paper, roll to desired thickness, remove 1 sheet wax paper, flip into pie plate, remove other sheet of wax paper & shape as needed.

It worked fine. I have not made a pie with a top crust using this recipe.  I made a pumpkin and pecan pie  using this recipe.

Good luck!

I'm lazy. I omly "make" pie crusts from crushed cookies and butter.  LOL

When I was in middle school I made graham cracker crusts with jello and whipped cream filling.  I love those "pies".  I wonder if they are as good as I remember...probably not :D

I find that the crusts roll out better if you refrigerate the dough (wrapped in plastic wrap) for about an hour before rolling. The liquids don't seem to absorb as quickly into gluten-free flour. The rest period lets it absorb completely.