This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mystery Symptoms? Possible Celiac?

jamie101

jamie101 Newbie

I really need some help clearing up a host of mystery symptoms I've had since July of this year..

One night I went to sleep and had a sudden onset of heart palpitations. I thought they would be gone by morning but little did I know I would still have them months later. I went to the dr. twice & received two blood tests (not celiac panels either time) - nothing. I have no other symptoms related to this other than the palps - no pain, weakness etc. I don't do drugs either and only drink occasionally and socially. They have been gradually disappearing since then but it has seriously taken months upon months. My dr told me its related to anxiety. They were the absolute scariest experience of my life and I would rather walk through hell barefoot than experience it again. Besides this I've had recurrent, severe mouth ulcers for years and my dr. did diagnose me with Herpes Simplex Virus 1 but I feel they come when I'm really stressed and know there is another reason why I'm suddenly getting them more and more often. 

A few days ago I developed a severe skin rash on my legs that is unbearably itchy and blistery. It got worse and now is stable but not going away. It is so bad that I haven't even been able to shave in about 2 weeks. I kid you not. 

For the last symptom... I used to get bad heart burn/indigestion/upper abdominal pain after eating foods such as salsas, pickles, peppers etc. Now it seems to be happening more often... First it was after pizza and now this AM I had a bagel and felt discomfort all day - burning abdominal/diaphragm, bloating, grumbling etc.. Seriously?? WTF is this? Who experiences pain from a bagel?!

I just don't know what to do but want to know if this at all sounds celiac related..

Symptoms read:
Heart Palpitations 

Mouth Ulcers

Skin Rash

Abdominal discomfort after eating 

Please help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

Call your doctor and ask for the full Celiac panel.  What other blood work did they do?  Did they test your thyroid?

Brandiwine Contributor

I really need some help clearing up a host of mystery symptoms I've had since July of this year..

One night I went to sleep and had a sudden onset of heart palpitations. I thought they would be gone by morning but little did I know I would still have them months later. I went to the dr. twice & received two blood tests (not celiac panels either time) - nothing. I have no other symptoms related to this other than the palps - no pain, weakness etc. I don't do drugs either and only drink occasionally and socially. They have been gradually disappearing since then but it has seriously taken months upon months. My dr told me its related to anxiety. They were the absolute scariest experience of my life and I would rather walk through hell barefoot than experience it again. Besides this I've had recurrent, severe mouth ulcers for years and my dr. did diagnose me with Herpes Simplex Virus 1 but I feel they come when I'm really stressed and know there is another reason why I'm suddenly getting them more and more often. 

A few days ago I developed a severe skin rash on my legs that is unbearably itchy and blistery. It got worse and now is stable but not going away. It is so bad that I haven't even been able to shave in about 2 weeks. I kid you not. 

For the last symptom... I used to get bad heart burn/indigestion/upper abdominal pain after eating foods such as salsas, pickles, peppers etc. Now it seems to be happening more often... First it was after pizza and now this AM I had a bagel and felt discomfort all day - burning abdominal/diaphragm, bloating, grumbling etc.. Seriously?? WTF is this? Who experiences pain from a bagel?!

I just don't know what to do but want to know if this at all sounds celiac related..

Symptoms read:

Heart Palpitations 

Mouth Ulcers

Skin Rash

Abdominal discomfort after eating 

Please help

Forever ago in the beginning of my symptoms I got heart palpitations which then lead to panic attacks. My youngest sons first symptom was mouth ulcers and my oldest sons was skin rashes. The discomfort you describe from eating foods like "salsas, pickles, peppers etc. " could be caused from sensitivity in the lining of your small intestine due to damage and inflammation from gluten which is Celiac disease. When you have so much damage it can make it hard for you to tolerate acidic foods, dairy, sugary foods and a number of foods it tends to be a little different for all of us. The bagel is full of gluten and if you had cream cheese on it the dairy might also upset your stomach. The only way to know for sure if you have Celiac is to get tested. Most prefer to have a diagnoses and for good reason. If you start with the diet and feel better on it, then you know that you have a problem with gluten but you won't be certain it is Celiac, the argument here is that the treatment is the same to follow a 100%  gluten free diet but if you ever wanted the diagnoses you would have to go back to eating gluten 1-2 times a day for somewhere around 8-12 weeks. This could make you violently ill some of us couldn't go through the gluten challenge again. The choice is ultimately left up to you, and in my opinion from the sound of it there is a possibility of Celiac or Gluten Sensitivity. 

jamie101 Newbie

Call your doctor and ask for the full Celiac panel.  What other blood work did they do?  Did they test your thyroid?

Yes, I had my thyroid tested and as far as I am concerned  it all checked out normal. My dr. thought I might have a thyroid problem seeing as the way I was presenting with my symptoms. I was tested for the herpes virus (which I do have the oral version of - corfimed in said blood test) and I was also tested for several electrolytes and vitamins/minerals. I thought I might be lacking magnesium in my diet and suffering the effects of that after some extensive research though now I am pretty sure that is not the culprit. I also had my B12 levels checked as I thought that was causing my mouth sores and I began taking a supplement on my own at my own discretion but my blood tests checked out that my B12 levels were actually on the high end of the spectrum (not overly so, and no concern was raised here). Now as far as my thyroid goes my T3 level is in the 'safe' range of the spectrum but it is severely at the low end though my dr. never said anything about it, this is just me looking at my results online. The 'norm' says to be anywhere between 71 - 180 ng/dL and mine are at 74 - again, in the range but really low. 

I don't know exactly if any of these factors play into the possibility of celiac as I don't know much about the disease, just its sudden prevalence and some symptoms that appear to be matching it. 

jamie101 Newbie

Let me also add, if this is of any help at all, my palpitations really seem to happen every morning after I have completed breakfast. All I usually ever eat is oatmeal or a bagel, alternating throughout the week. It doesn't matter at what time I eat, how slow or fast I consume the food - I get the palps soon thereafter. They used to be horrendous but they have subdued and are manageable now although I've never had them before & they are really annoying. I also get bloating & a 'grumbling' feeljng & do usually have to go to the bathroom either after my meal or sometimes during it (ridiculous). I've also had an EKG, which checked out great so my dr said no need for a cardiologist. Now since I've had the rash I really feel like my symptoms are allergy related.

cyclinglady Grand Master

The only way to know for sure if you have celiac disease is to get tested. There is no way to guess if you have celiac disease as there are over 300 symptoms that overlap with many other diseases.

Complete Celiac Blood Panel

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

total serum IgA - a control test

AGA IgA and AGA IgG - less reliable older tests

endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

Good luck!

jamie101 Newbie

The only way to know for sure if you have celiac disease is to get tested. There is no way to guess if you have celiac disease as there are over 300 symptoms that overlap with many other diseases.

Complete Celiac Blood Panel

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

total serum IgA - a control test

AGA IgA and AGA IgG - less reliable older tests

endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

Good luck!

Thank you for informing me of the necessary tests. I will hopefully have a dr. appt by the end of the week. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced heart palps in conjunction with celiac ? They came on suddenly and have tapered off considerably (though they've taken months..literally) but they do happen literally every.single.morning without fail following my breakfast (usually a bagel or bowl of oatmeal). These palpitations along with my mouth sores are absolutely debilitating and I'm sick & tired of them. Has anyone else ever experienced mouth lesions/sores with celiac? I have tried godawful things to try and eliminate them all together or even lessen their severity when they come to no avail and I've just had enough. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

Have you had any cardiac testing done?

jamie101 Newbie

Have you had any cardiac testing done?

Yes, EKG was normal as I stated. My dr. said he does not feel my symptoms are due to cardiac reasons and I do agree. 

• 2 months later...
sunny2012 Rookie

I had heart palpitations. In my case, it came from low iron numbers. Low hemoglobin (low enough to need blood transfusions) is a side effect of not absorbing nutrition properly.

Get the Celiac blood tests. 

Archived