Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sella

Sparse Bangs

My hair has been very thin in bang area since I was a child (I recall back to 10 years old...not sure if I had it longer). Could this be related to celiac disease? Although I have been on gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years, the hair is still gone there.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have untreated Celiac disease, hair loss can be a symptom.  However, with it being in just that area, it makes me wonder if it is from something else.  If you wear ponytails or do stuff where tension is on your hair often, that can cause hair loss. Usually when you see a young lady with thinning, fuzzy hair in the temples and above the forehead, that is what that is from.  Could be something to think about.  Other times hair loss and hair line patterns are genetic.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

It can also be from a lack of a vitamin or a mineral, If you have had Celiac and not treated. Maybe get a get a vitamin level checked??

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Join eNewsletter

My hair thinned at the front due to celiac disease and hypothyroidism.  I had very thick hair as a child though.  Now... I would have to start my bangs back on the top of my head.  LOL

If your hair changed, I would suspect disease.  If it has always been thin I would guess it is genetics or possibly a deficiency you have had since infancy.

Best wishes.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):