Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just my opinion but if the child has the genes AND has gluten intolerance already that is Celiac.

*Judy
Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs RE-TESTED ALL FOOD ALLERGIES IN JUNE 2015 AND THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE NOW!  TIME TO RE-INTRODUCE FISH AND NUTS!!! 
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. c
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010 

Hyperthyroid 2013 - benign tumors and entire thyroid removed

Join eNewsletter

30% of everyone on Earth has the DQ2 and / or the DQ8 genes but less than 1 % of the world has celiac disease.  Of that <1%, 97% of the celiacs have the DQ2 or DQ8 genes.  If my math is approximately right, that means that about 2-3% of that 30% will have celiac disease.  Chances are low, statistically speaking.

As a mom of children who have a gluten sensitivity, and a mother who has celiac disease, I'm assuming they have celiac disease and have made them gluten-free.  I found the option of continuing to feed them gluten, until one day they may get sick enough to give a positive test result, completely unacceptable.  Feeding us is inconvenient, but they are healthy.

She could have celiac disease but there is no way to know for sure unless she continues to eat gluten and you keep retesting.  :(  I wish there was a better way to test.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

If she has been diagnosed with 'gluten intolerance' and has both the most commonly associated celiac genes she likely has celiac,IMHO. Testing on little ones is not very reliable, from what I understand, and she may have had a false negative. What celiac testing did she have and what were those results?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

She was also diagnosed with milk protein allergy-- although I've wondered if it was a true allergy...

Anyways, her biopsies were negative. Her bloodwork was very negative. They tested gliadin IGG & IGA, TTG IGA & IGG. And her IGA was at the bottom of the range. She was 21, range was 20-100.

I am a type 1 diabetic and do not have celiac disease. Her father does not have celiac disease but he has a distant cousin with celiac.

Join eNewsletter