Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Cyanste

Celiac And Allergic To Wheat?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There are several folks here who have both. I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Have you (before you went gluten-free) had allergic type reactions to wheat? You know, hives, breathing problems, that sort of thing? You should have an epi pen. Exposure to wheat on the celiac side can make you sick and damage your gut, but on the allergy side it can kill you quickly.

Be extra careful!!

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Yes, you can be both celiac and allergic to wheat & I second what Bartful said about getting an epi pen.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Really wondering if I am allergic to Gluten or the Roundup weed killer that farmers use on wheat and other foods .

I seem to have gluten sensitivity .I have not tested myself yet with  fully organic bread that has gluten in it. I have night sweats after eating wheat and  bottom of feet go numb along with stomach sloshing around more than usual and lower intestines feel irritated/painful when pressing on them any.

Not had any allergy tests done,but some in my family have many allergies.

If your test came back positive,I would not doubt it if you already have celiac symptoms or problems.

I felt like I had food poisoning when I ate too many wheat products.

Join eNewsletter

Really wondering if I am allergic to Gluten or the Roundup weed killer that farmers use on wheat and other foods .

I seem to have gluten sensitivity .I have not tested myself yet with  fully organic bread that has gluten in it. I have night sweats after eating wheat and  bottom of feet go numb along with stomach sloshing around more than usual and lower intestines feel irritated/painful when pressing on them any.

Not had any allergy tests done,but some in my family have many allergies.

If your test came back positive,I would not doubt it if you already have celiac symptoms or problems.

I felt like I had food poisoning when I ate too many wheat products.

Hank,

I would encourage you to visit the University of Chicago's celiac website.  It contains valuable information about celiac disease.  First of all  there is no allergy to gluten!  Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder like Multiple Sclerosis or Lupus.  The body attacks the small intestinal tract damaging villi.   It is the only AI disorder that is triggered by gluten which is found in wheat, rye and barley.  Any medical doctor can order a celiac blood panel to test for celiac antibodies but you need to be consuming gluten daily.  

If testing is negative, you might have Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (symptoms but no intestinal damage).    Unfortunately, there is no specific test for that just adhering to the gluten free diet to see if all symptoms resolve.  

You could be allergic to wheat (not gluten) but that typically presents with breathing issues, swelling, hives, , passing out, anaphylaxis, itchy skin or eyes, sneezing, asthma, etc.  An allergist could help with a wheat allergy diagnosis.  

This is a great site for information too!  Ask away!  

Take care!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I also did not say on this topic but I had pain in my side where my gallbladder is after I had too many processed wheat products.Pain has been there over 2 months and I had a Hida scan to check the function and they said it was 28% working,doc said need to be at least 35% to keep it.My gallbladder is feeling less numb and my bloating and constant burping has gone mostly away since I went on a gluten free diet for a little over 1 month.I have lost weight since the pain in my side came about and doctor wants to take my gallbladder out in 4 days from now.I'm not sure I should have it done.I'm feeling better than I was a month ago.Not sure if I should postpone the surgery or not.  I had an ultrasound done and I only have 2 small polyps in my gallbladder and no gallstones.

Join eNewsletter

Hank,

I think you should discuss your concerns with your doctor about your gallbladder. I wish you well!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter