Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Life499

Celiac or non celiac gluten sensitivity

Rate this topic

I have been dealing with various symptoms for most of my life. Over time my symptoms got worse and the number of symptoms increased.  I have had about 20-30 symptoms everything from depression and brain fog to joint pain and severe abdominal gas pain. I have been eating gluten free for a while now but if I eat gluten I will get a delayed reaction that will start in 12-48 hours. It usually starts with mental symptoms and fatigue if I continue to eat gluten things will get worse and other symptoms will appear like abdominal gas pain. Does the worsening of symptoms over time indicated celiac or non celiac gluten sensitivity or can it be either?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1 hour ago, Life499 said:

I have been dealing with various symptoms for most of my life. Over time my symptoms got worse and the number of symptoms increased.  I have had about 20-30 symptoms everything from depression and brain fog to joint pain and severe abdominal gas pain. I have been eating gluten free for a while now but if I eat gluten I will get a delayed reaction that will start in 12-48 hours. It usually starts with mental symptoms and fatigue if I continue to eat gluten things will get worse and other symptoms will appear like abdominal gas pain. Does the worsening of symptoms over time indicated celiac or non celiac gluten sensitivity or can it be either?

Have you shared this with your doctor and asked for a referral to a GI doctor? 

If gluten affects you as you indicate, you need to be tested for celiac. Keep in mind, however, that you have to eat gluten for a certain amount of time prior to testing. 

Join eNewsletter

Unfortunately, there is no test to diagnosis Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.  It is a process of elimination (namely, eliminating celiac disease and other intestinal illness (e.g. SIBO, Crohn's)).  Since you have been gluten free, you would need to consider a gluten challenge:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/diagnosingceliacdisease/f/Gluten-Challenge.htm

Here's more about testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/medical-professionals/guide/diagnosis

Remember, celiac disease is not an allergy.  It is a autoimmune disorder that is triggered by gluten (unlike Lupus, RA, MS, etc. where triggers are not known for sure).  A tiny amount can set off a chain of events that can last for days, weeks, months, or years!  

I hope this helps! 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, Life499 said:

I'm not going be to be able to do the gluten challenge, going to have to wait for the new tests that are being developed that does not require a person to eat gluten to test positive for it.

Is there anyway to distinguish celiac and non celiac gluten sensitivity?

Not without doing the celiac testing. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter