This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety and depression! ?

KJDx

KJDx Rookie

Hi all,

Since my teenage years I've had GI problems and been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's all related to celiac. A lot of the symptoms I have and I'm currently being tested for celiac disease.
I'm just wondering if people's anxiety and depression worsened prior to diagnosis?
I'm at my wits end at the minute, it's affecting every aspect of my life, from studying to relationships to my social life (that's non existent). I don't even wanna get out of bed let alone the house and the only thing I can do to help my anxiety is to research and find answers, the link between serotonin and celiacs is interesting.

I'm wondering whether anyone else feels this way? I wanna pull my hair out ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the forum!  

Depression and anxiety have been linked to celiac disease.  Here is a link to a government study:

Open Original Shared Link

if you are getting tested, please make sure you are consuming gluten or the tests will be invalid.  Check out the University of Chicago's celiac website for diagnostic testing.

Hang in there!  

cristiana Veteran

About six months prior to my diagnosis I developed the most awful debilitating anxiety.   Coincidentally my B12 levels were extremely low and I had iron anemia.  These deficiencies were treated with supplementation before my actual diagnosis and I believe it helped tremendously.   Do get your levels checked with your doctor first as if you are deficient you may find supplementing will help.  

On the other hand - a recent poster discovered they had too much of another B vitamin that caused problems of its own, so make sure you are only supplementing if you need to.

• 2 weeks later...
KJDx Rookie
On 25 February 2016 at 6:13 AM, cyclinglady said:

Welcome to the forum!  

Depression and anxiety have been linked to celiac disease.  Here is a link to a government study:

if you are getting tested, please make sure you are consuming gluten or the tests will be invalid.  Check out the University of Chicago's celiac website for diagnostic testing.

Hang in there!  

Hi @cyclinglady,

Im still eating gluten, I know it's important until tests are done.

After a month I'm still waiting for blood test results :( it's so frustrating!! 

KJDx Rookie
On 25 February 2016 at 9:32 AM, cristiana said:

About six months prior to my diagnosis I developed the most awful debilitating anxiety.   Coincidentally my B12 levels were extremely low and I had iron anemia.  These deficiencies were treated with supplementation before my actual diagnosis and I believe it helped tremendously.   Do get your levels checked with your doctor first as if you are deficient you may find supplementing will help.  

On the other hand - a recent poster discovered they had too much of another B vitamin that caused problems of its own, so make sure you are only supplementing if you need to.

Hi @cristiana

I know the feeling! I've never felt anxiety like it! My doctor said he's tested for b12 and vitamin d too. Just waiting on results. It's ruining all aspects of my life at the minute as I'm in the most toughest part of my studies :( 

cyclinglady Grand Master
56 minutes ago, KJDx said:

Hi @cyclinglady,

Im still eating gluten, I know it's important until tests are done.

After a month I'm still waiting for blood test results :( it's so frustrating!! 

Hang in there!  Having to study and not feel well is hard!  Try walking outside for 15 to 20 minutes a day.  It will improve your mood and help you with studying.   Another tip is to play an instrument.  It really improves your brain!   Seriously!  It fires it up!  Consider a $5.00 recorder.  You can teach yourself to play it.   Too much?  Listen to music.  Not as effective, but still good! 

sdlane Rookie

When I feel I'm about ready to let loose on some idiot at work, I go to a quiet place for 10 minutes and do a meditation with my Headspace app...basically just guided breathing exercises.  I downloaded it from the iTunes store onto my iPhone.  I also listen to it with my sleep mask on at night when my mind is racing too much to go to sleep.  I'm always out within a few minutes!  Now staying asleep, that's another issue altogether!  At work, I also turn on Pandora on my laptop and listen to either 40s music or Jazz...or chill or spa, or.... lol  I can't wait for this challenge to be over so I can get off the gluten.  I have become so negative and miserable for no apparent reason, it's good to know that it's probably all gluten related and will go away when I can get off it for good.  Keep your chin up...you're not alone!  <hugs>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran

Well done for getting those blood tests done.  It will be interesting to learn the results, do let us know how you get on.

Re: dealing with anxiety I  found the following website very helpful.

There is also an excellent book to go with it, At Last a Life.   Obviously, there can be physical reasons we are anxious such as vitamin deficiencies etc as was the case with me but I found this book really helped me figure out what was happening.  It was good to read about other people that had come through it.  My anxiety got so bad at one point I just could not stop my mind racing and could hardly think about anything.  The website and book helped break a cycle.

Re: depression, this one is good too.

I remember reading the customer reviews, as I waited for the book and started to implement the changes I could glean from them even before it arrived.    I have bought this for several people who have all been helped by it.

Cyclinglady is right - walking outside is good.  Also, try to be outside in the morning light as that is apparently very good for you.   

Keep us posted.

Irene Joanne Explorer

My anxiety was really bad the six months before I was  diagnosed too. My mental health is so much better after going gluten free. 

KJDx Rookie
On 7 March 2016 at 9:20 PM, cyclinglady said:

Hang in there!  Having to study and not feel well is hard!  Try walking outside for 15 to 20 minutes a day.  It will improve your mood and help you with studying.   Another tip is to play an instrument.  It really improves your brain!   Seriously!  It fires it up!  Consider a $5.00 recorder.  You can teach yourself to play it.   Too much?  Listen to music.  Not as effective, but still good! 

Hi all,

@cyclinglady I'm trying my best at the moment.  Having to consider possibly taking 6 months off my course due to how I'm feeling at the moment. Thank you for your advice, a very interesting point you make, one which ill look in to :) 

@sdlane ive previously tried the headspace app which did help. So that's one thing I am going to do again. Thank you for reminding me :) Over a month of waiting for blood results is making me even more anxious so the sooner I know the better. 

hi @cristiana, I will keep you posted on my results. Thank you for the useful sites I will be having a look at those. I can empathise with you regarding your previous anxiety because my mind is constantly racing at the moment even when I'm exhausted. Trying to look on the brightside though.

@Irene Joanne hi there, the body is a strange thing. Glad you're mental health has improved though :) it gives me hope.

Archived