This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

anxiety, celiac, problems, doctors, i'm lost

Jm34

Jmg Mentor
21 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

Be strong! We know that it's not all in your head.  We're all supporting you!  

Well said! I can't help with advice, but I and many others are wishing you well Jm34, hope that things pick up for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leotto Rookie

Hello again Jm34, i've came here again to see how you're doing and so i've read the previous posts. What i was going to suggest before coming here has already been suggested, and it is to eliminate the other grains, at least for some time.

Celiac disease sufferers, as well as NCGS sufferers, have a problem of increased intestinal permeability, which easily translates in proneness to food intolerances, as dietary toxins have an easier pass to the bloodstream. Certain food groups contains particularly toxic proteins; grains are one of them. While gluten is the most accused compound, you could be experiencing problems due to other toxins contained in the other types of grains. The vegetable nightshade family (bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants) also carries some problematic toxins, and many celiac disease need to avoid them.

Some last research also seem to indicate that heartburn and acid reflux is more a problem of immune response than a chemical imbalance. If that is actually the truth, it could indicate that you are reacting with some foods. Dietary lectins (the toxins i wrote above) could well cause immune activation and thus reflux and acidity.

It also is my last experience: i was doing well on a grain free diet, and then i reintroduced a small plate of brown rice. Some hours later i got fatigued, and the next day i had heartburn and acid reflux. I noticed i get this only and solely when i eat grains, even if they are gluten free. Instead, nightshades give me bloating, scary nightmares and bad mood.

I think the fact you get severe stomach pain when not eating could be the result of what you've eaten before, which caused an "heartburn response". Eating food then softens the acidity, but if you are eating the allergenic food, then the cycle goes on. And the time you need for the immune response to stop is individual. It could take 1 day or 2 weeks.

Thus i strongly agree with some other comments. Commit to a low allergenic diet, made up of white fresh meat (poultry), fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. Avoid grains and nightshades, and go easy with fish and seafood, as well as broth (could be high in histamine), nuts and legumes. Sweet potatoes are not part of nightshades family and should be fine. Fats could be helpful in your situation as they stay in the stomach and soften acids, so experiment with healthy fats like avocado and olive oil (avoid dairy and cooked fatty foods like red meat and eggs).

I'm quite sure two weeks of such diet should give substantial relief to your condition.

Some other things to care about: posture (a bad posture can compress the stomach and lead to acidity problems, as well as hiatal hernia), sleep (acid secretion also depends on circadian rythm), and stress (stress increases acid production). Also, as someone suggested, organize your own space in the kitchen, so you can cook by yourself and be sure no gluten contamination occurs.

Let us know how it goes!

• 3 weeks later...
Jm34 Explorer

So i almost died in the past days at least it  felt like... My serum potassium levels dropped even more then i took the prescribed retard potassium chlorid  capsules again, which turned me into this state where i have heart problems now or at least it feels like now i stopped taking the pills and got serum tested again for potassium, which went back to normal levels but in the past 3 days i couldn't even get out of my bed or talk... The chest pressure were so bad and these feeling like someones stabs you in your heart were terrible. Now that my potassium levels got back to normal my internist gave me another pill which contains a higher dose of potassium with magnesium, that i should take for some time.

I managed to do the b3 ~ niacin serum test in the end, and the results came back were good (sadly :SIGH)... Tho i ate some corn flakes with added niacinamide and some corn masa with added niacinamide sometimes before the serum test... 26.85 while [14-52] is the reference range (i don't have the results paper in my hands i don't remember the measures...).

While i was feeling better some days after my last post both of my left and right ears ~ earcannals started to develop dermatitis or it seems like and i started to develop these huge acnes all over my body, like this very huge bumps on my skin filled with blood or similar... i can feel the fluid inside if i burst them somehow it's just like blood is coming out..... :SIGH

After the serum tests again i'm feeling terrible and weak, and it's like i'm almost fainting... like my last serum test were yesterday then in the afternoon i almost lost my vision, like i couldn't concentrate my vision on what i want to look onto... it's very weird... My memory is still quite numb...

I don't even know if this is an anxiety i feel or not because it's like i talk to myself every day all day long...

BUT the worst stuff still comes at every day at the exact same hours... with the difficulty to swallow... the full symptoms of reflux... even if i sit down after drinking the water comes up... and the nonstop burst of shivering and sweating randomly...

Even 5 days after i took the last retard potassium chloride capsule the small blue pellets still empty with my stool...

I will read what you wrote and maybe i will just simply take some niacin pills even tho the deficiency is not there at least according to my serum test...

When i just feel terrible and sometimes scared i keep taking these pure valerian pills sadly they don't really help at all...

My tummy still hurts like someone is circling a knife in it like at the duodenal part or similar... :SIGH

I will read all of your posts which i missed by my last post...

I just don't understand what kind of reaction or deficiency could i have... i just can't seem to understand... i started to feel way better eating yeast and sugar this b3 deficiency felt like i could be since when i read it's symptoms it really related to me... :SIGH Now i'm feeling lost again, going back to my internist tomorrow he will probably say nothing and still wants to pump me full of SSRI... which i can't take cause of my low DAO which i tested again (my internist told me one result isn't a result)... and my newer DAO results were the same sh*t below the reference values... :'( :SIGH I'M LOST!

kareng Grand Master
1 minute ago, Jm34 said:

So i almost died in the past days at least it  felt like... My serum potassium levels dropped even more then i took the prescribed retard potassium chlorid  capsules again, which turned me into this state where i have heart problems now or at least it feels like now i stopped taking the pills and got serum tested again for potassium, which went back to normal levels but in the past 3 days i couldn't even get out of my bed or talk... The chest pressure were so bad and these feeling like someones stabs you in your heart were terrible. Now that my potassium levels got back to normal my internist gave me another pill which contains a higher dose of potassium with magnesium, that i should take for some time.

I managed to do the b3 ~ niacin serum test in the end, and the results came back were good (sadly :SIGH)... Tho i ate some corn flakes with added niacinamide and some corn masa with added niacinamide sometimes before the serum test... 26.85 while [14-52] is the reference range (i don't have the results paper in my hands i don't remember the measures...).

While i was feeling better some days after my last post both of my left and right ears ~ earcannals started to develop dermatitis or it seems like and i started to develop these huge acnes all over my body, like this very huge bumps on my skin filled with blood or similar... i can feel the fluid inside if i burst them somehow it's just like blood is coming out..... :SIGH

After the serum tests again i'm feeling terrible and weak, and it's like i'm almost fainting... like my last serum test were yesterday then in the afternoon i almost lost my vision, like i couldn't concentrate my vision on what i want to look onto... it's very weird... My memory is still quite numb...

I don't even know if this is an anxiety i feel or not because it's like i talk to myself every day all day long...

BUT the worst stuff still comes at every day at the exact same hours... with the difficulty to swallow... the full symptoms of reflux... even if i sit down after drinking the water comes up... and the nonstop burst of shivering and sweating randomly...

Even 5 days after i took the last retard potassium chloride capsule the small blue pellets still empty with my stool...

I will read what you wrote and maybe i will just simply take some niacin pills even tho the deficiency is not there at least according to my serum test...

When i just feel terrible and sometimes scared i keep taking these pure valerian pills sadly they don't really help at all...

My tummy still hurts like someone is circling a knife in it like at the duodenal part or similar... :SIGH

I just don't understand what kind of reaction or deficiency could i have... i just can't seem to understand... i started to feel way better eating yeast and sugar this b3 deficiency felt like i could be since when i read it's symptoms it really related to me... :SIGH Now i'm feeling lost again, going back to my internist tomorrow he will probably say nothing and still wants to pump me full of SSRI... which i can't take cause of my low DAO which i tested again (my internist told me one result isn't a result)... and my newer DAO results were the same sh*t below the reference values... :'( :SIGH I'M LOST!

Sorry.  I am not up on all of your history.  But this part stood out to me " i ate some corn flakes ".   Do you have Celiac?  And were those gluten-free cornflakes?  Because, in the US at least, regular ones usually have malt barley.

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, kareng said:

Because, in the US at least, regular ones usually have malt barley.

In Europe also Karen. I slipped up eating some regular cornflakes which had previously been listed as ok by coeliac UK. I developed a rash on my elbows that went once I removed them from my diet. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor
3 hours ago, Jm34 said:

maybe i will just simply take some niacin pills even tho the deficiency is not there at least according to my serum test...

Sorry to hear you are still suffering so much.  I wish I had some info that might give you some relief.  Please keep in mind that you can have too much of a good thing. It is always a good idea to look up side effects to any med you take. That includes supplements.

If your levels for niacin are in a good range please don't take mega doses. As with many supplements too much can be as bad or worse than not enough.

Open Original Shared Link

"Niacin overdose is unlikely if you take niacin only in the amount prescribed by your doctor. While it's not possible to overdose on niacin simply by eating too many niacin-rich foods, taking too much over-the-counter or prescription niacin can be dangerous.

Niacin overdose signs and symptoms include:

Severe skin flushing combined with dizziness

Rapid heartbeat

Itching

Nausea and vomiting

Abdominal pain

Diarrhea

Gout

If you think you may have overdosed, seek medical attention immediately.

Because niacin has also been linked to liver damage and stroke, most doctors now recommend it only for people who can't take statins to treat high triglyceride levels. If you're concerned about taking niacin, talk to your doctor."

Posterboy Mentor

5 hours ago, Jm34 said:

jm34,

Sorry you are still suffering.

Taking either  Niacinamide  or Slow - Niaicn (IHN) should not make you flush.  You would have to take Niacin at extremely high dosages (Usually only obtained by prescription) to overdose on Niacin.  Like greater than 3 gram day.  Putting some on cornflakes only once would not do it.  It is  water soluble vitamin and your body depletes itself easily especially if you are stressed.

See this link Open Original Shared Link

Dr. hoffer says it (Niacin) is so safe a toxic level has never been established because no on has ever OD on Niacin.  Niacin will cause flushing because it floods your body's with histamines thus defusing itching in a couple days of use.

*****This is not Medical Advice please research this yourself.

Now I am going to say what I think it is.  You have been taking PPI's too long and as your body rebuilds it's own stomach acid your getting acid rebound that is locking you into taking the PPI's.  It is called attachment rate and all "good" drugs have high attachment rates because it makes it hard for people to get off them.

See this link by dr. chris kresser than explains why this is.

(this is part of 3 part series but I have only linked this first in the series)

and read this article about how to take betainehcl to help you jump over this acid rebound.

PPI's are horrible medicine's.  Your potassium problem is probably because you are low in Magnesium which people with extremely low stomach acid can no longer absorb.

SINCE this is happening when you eat anything even water then your stomach acid is already too low. Truly high stomach acid happens between meals.

See dr.myatt article about why there is this blindspot in medicine.

She explains why this is quoting

"But My Symptoms Feel Like Too Much Acid…"

"Strong stomach acid and pepsin quickly "emulsify" fats and proteins, making them ready for the next step of digestion, passage into the small intestine. When these digestive factors are weak, food remains in the stomach for longer and it begins to ferment. Gas pressure from the fermentation can cause bloating and discomfort and can can also cause the esophageal sphincter to open, allowing stomach contents to "backwash" into the esophagus.

Even though weak stomach acid is the central cause of this, even this weak stomach acid, which has no place in the esophagus, will "burn." This burning sensation confuses many people, including doctors, who then "ASSuME" that excess acid is to blame. Too little acid, resulting in slowed digestion, and gas which creates back-pressure into the esophagus is the real cause of almost all "heartburn" and GERD."

You need to have your internist perform a gastric acid function test aka known as heidleburg test (a common capsule test is sold as pH gastorgram to doctors) this if you are so inclined to confirm this.

But taking enough betainehcl can get you over this acid rebound.

The pharmaceutical companies know this (that you need strong acid) to absorb you medicine they have even studied how to reacidify your stomach by taking betainechle to helps absorb your medicine.

They rely on a strong stomach  acid for the medicine you take to work properly.

see this article where they study this topic to help people absorb medicines better.

(I thought i was neat the way they used a simple coca-cola (coke) to test this theory since it is very acid (phosphoric acid) but it didn't last long enough to accomplish their purpose's so they had to use betainehcl instead)

It is the same for food.  As Dr. Myatt noted above.

Celiac.com actually reported information about this topic.  No they are not saying it does or does not cause anything they are just reporting research on the topic.

Quoting the researchers summary  about PPI's increase the risk of developing celiac disease.

"The data clearly show that patients who use anti-secretory medications are at much greater risk for developing celiac disease following the use of these medicines.

The fact that this connection persisted even after the team excluded prescriptions for anti-secretory medicines in the year preceding the celiac disease diagnosis suggests a causal relationship."

See the link below to this research.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23432/1/Do-Proton-Pump-Inhibitors-Increase-Risk-of-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

Note they say causal not casual (only occurs with) but causal occurs because of.

The PPI's are causing your sickness I believe.

Here is the latest bad news about PPI's that you probably didn't hear reported in the news.

Quoting "PPIs May (most likely my words) Increase Risk for Chronic, Silent Kidney Damage" and another reason you could be having trouble with your potassium levels.  It can be an early sign of reduced kidney function.

Sorry to give you so much information before you got back to your internist but I thought it was better to get you in the know before your appointment rather than after.

I hope you feel better soon and I do think now that they have added Magnesium will help your Potassium levels level out hopefully.

The Magnesium is best as a Citrate or Glycinate so if they have given you only an oxide for it/with it be sure you look up a Citrate or Glycinate to help with  balancing your potassium levels (hopefully) if you kidneys are not already struggling from taking PPI's for a couple years now (I think you mentioned).

Again I hope this is helpful. ***** this is not medical advice but the experience I have gained from research and taking some of the same supplements I have researched for myself and others.

I hope it helps you in the same way.

posterboy,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
16 hours ago, Posterboy said:

See this link by dr. chris kresser than explains why this is.

I don't think Chris Kresser is a doctor mate. I've read his blog previously and he's often got some interesting content, but as far as I'm aware he's not qualified to give medical advice. I don't want to seem pedantic, because I respect the efforts you put into helping others, but I think it's an important distinction! 

Posterboy Mentor
6 hours ago, Jmg said:

I don't think Chris Kresser is a doctor mate. I've read his blog previously and he's often got some interesting content, but as far as I'm aware he's not qualified to give medical advice. I don't want to seem pedantic, because I respect the efforts you put into helping others, but I think it's an important distinction! 

jmg,

your right thanks for correcting me on that.  Dr. Mark Hyman called him a "medicial clinician" but he is not a doctor as best I could tell after visiting his site again.

I am sorry for the error.  I think it was just a pavlovian response on my part.

Every doctor's office (and/or hospital) I have been to only the doctor's where smoks/ white coats etc and though he didn't say it in his bio in his head shot that is prominent on his site you see a jacket/lab coat (that's looks like what only doctor's) wear and I erronously assumed the person who could wear such jackets/lab coats had to be a doctor.

The white coat is so universally associated with a "dr.'s suit) that I inferred something that was not true.

While a relatively new tradition it (the white coat) is part of a medical student's formal training these days even before they are doctor's.

I honestly didn't realize he indeed was not a doctor.

Sorry for the error on my part.

I will make a note of it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I am sorry for misrepresenting chris kresser's credentials.

And thank's again for noticing it and correcting me on it.

We all want to present as correct information as possible so as to avoid confusion so if you see somewhere/something else that I  incorrectly cited something please don't hesitate to let me know and point it out so other's can be alert to it too!

We all make each other better and thanks again for noticing it.

posterboy,

kareng Grand Master
27 minutes ago, Posterboy said:

jmg,

y

Every doctor's office (and/or hospital) I have been to only the doctor's where smoks/ white coats etc and though he didn't say it in his bio in his head shot that is prominent on his site you see a jacket/lab coat (that's looks like what only doctor's) wear and I erronously assumed the person who could wear such jackets/lab coats had to be a doctor.

The white coat is so universally associated with a "dr.'s suit) that I inferred something that was not true.

posterboy,

Lots of people wear white medical coats.  You can buy them at uniform supply stores.  You can even take them to someone and have your name, Dr. Posterboy, embroidered on them.  :D

Lots of people wear them - lab techs that draw your blood, nursing supervisors, people, like me, who review records and go on rounds with doctors for research purposes.  The purpose is to keep your clothes clean but, also, to keep the germs, dust and cat hair that might be on your clothes from falling off on a patient. glamorous!

knitty kitty Grand Master

Jm34, 

Has your calcium level been checked lately?  

This article describes things that can affect your calcium intake, such as proton pump inhibitors (which you have taken in the past), vitamin D deficiency (which you have) and magnesium deficiency.   

Some of the symptoms include difficulty swallowing, depression, irritability, changes in personality, tingling and numbness, and eye problems.

Doctors need to advise patients to take calcium citrate when a vitamin D deficiency is found. Since you have gone dairy free, you need another source of calcium, like supplements and green leafy veggies like kale, or broccoli. 

A vitamin with 100 mg of each of the B vitamins in it may also help.  I think the vitamins your mother got for you may be similar.  I take Bluebonnet Stress B 100.  You may be low on more than one of the B vitamins. Keep taking the vitamin D, and add omega 3 fats.

I hope you find all the puzzle pieces to your health problems and start improving soon.  

• 2 weeks later...
Posterboy Mentor

jm34,

if you take vitamin d you also need to look into vitamin k they are often sold together and for good reason.  They work together to balance each other.

Vitamin K us actually used to reverse artery calcification in Japan.

see this link that talks about  this Open Original Shared Link

This is an archive issue so you might not be able read the whole article.

I am not a doctor so I can't interrupt your Niacin levels but other people on this board  have noticed being "within in range" but still doing poorly on vitamin d levels.  It possible you need a higher range of Niacin to feel better.  But I think it is more likely that it is PPI's that are blocking many of essential minerals form being absorbed that is leading to much of the anxiety your are experiencing.

Elsewhere on this board there is good information that explains how those low in Iron can experience panic attacks.

I found for generalized anxiety.  Taking Zing lognezes really helped my over all anxiety levels.

I linked to Dr. Myatt's website and I don't know if you visited or not but wanted to share some of her information for others that might read this forum thread.

Quoting from dr. myatt's what's burning you article.

"The Dangers of Antacids and Acid-Blocking Drugs

Our bodies need 60 or so essential nutrients. "Essential" means that the body MUST have this nutrient or death will eventually ensue, and the nutrient must be obtained from diet because the body cannot manufacture it. Many of these essential nutrients require stomach acid for their assimilation. When stomach acid production declines, nutrient deficiencies begin.

Calcium, for example, requires vigorous stomach acid in order to be assimilated. Interestingly, the rate of hip replacement surgery is much higher in people who routinely use antacids and acid-blocking drugs. We know that people who have "acid stomach" were already having trouble assimilating calcium from food and nutritional supplements due to lack of normal stomach acid production. When these symptoms are "band-aided" with drugs which decrease stomach acid even more, calcium assimilation can come to a near-halt. The result? Weak bones, hip fractures and joint complaints resulting in major surgery.

Jonathan Wright, M.D., well-known and respected holistic physician, states that:

"Although research in this area is entirely inadequate, its been my clinical observation that calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, chromium, selenium, manganese, vanadium, molybdenum, cobalt, and many other micro-trace elements are not nearly as well-absorbed in those with poor stomach acid as they are in those whose acid levels are normal. When we test plasma amino acid levels for those with poor stomach function, we frequently find lower than usual levels of one or more of the eight essential amino acids: isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. Often there are functional insufficiencies of folic acid and/or vitamin B12."

Remember, these are essential nutrients. Deficiencies of any single one of them can cause serious health problems over time. Weak bones, diminish immune function, failing memory, loss of eyesight and many other "diseases of aging" are often the result of decreased stomach function.

Ulcers can even be caused by too little acid. Surprised? We know today that most ulcers are caused by a bacterium called h. pylori. This little beastie is killed by strong stomach acid. But when stomach acid is weak, watch out! Weak stomach acid is how h. pylori gets a foot-hold. (People with active ulcers should not supplement hydrochloric acid until the ulcer has healed)."

It is me again.

Anyone of these deficiencies that taking PPI's can lead to can could your Anxiety issues.

I really think getting off the PPI's will help you.

being low in Niacin can trigger the low stomach acid in the first place taking  PPI's can lock you into this condition.

see this link

then when low people innocently take PPI's for gastric support when all along they should be taking betainehcl instead to replace the low stomach acid.

then get locked into taking it.

I linked this in my previous thread but provide it here again for reference then taking PPI's after taken them for year's exposes us to develop NCGS or Celiac disease as reported on celiac.com

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23432/1/Do-Proton-Pump-Inhibitors-Increase-Risk-of-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

I helped my gastric function by taking betainehcl first then by taking Niacinamide second luckily without ever needing to take PPI's inadverently possibly making things worse in the long run.

In the mean time I would take some magnesium citrate or glycinate to help with fatigue, muscle cramps, and your energy levels.

In one of your previous thread posts you said taking betainehcl helped for 4 hours then it all came rushing back.

That is the rebound from your body now producing acid.  Taking MORE acid not less will help it get better.  If it helped for 4 hours then it stands to reason taking 2 betainehcl pills will last 8 hours.

You take it enough/often enough to help you get off the PPI's over a month to 6 weeks rebound period to get off of them for good.

see this link from 20somethingallergies site that explains how to do this so the burn (rebound) is minimized until all the burning is gone once you stop the PPI's for good.

*** this is not medical advice.

good luck on your continued journey.

posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor

jm34,

the other post was getting too long.  so here a  list of nutrients that helped my depression and anxiety issues.

Vitamin D

Zinc

Magnesium Citrate

Niacinamide

Iodine

These all helped me you may have to take them in higher doses than the RDA if you are low in them to catch back up but only for a cycle say 3 to 6 months max.

Also taking PPI's (see above) restricts your bodies ability to absorb them so many people have to take B-vitamins in higher doses (and magnesium) to get the desired affect.

People also  have noted they need higher levels of vitamin D to function normally.

Iodine can be absorbed through the skin.

If it stains you after 8 hours you are no longer low in Iodine.

I hope this is helpful.

*** this not medical advice only my experience from taking some of these nutrients to help my anxiety and seemingly constant depression which thanked be too God is now better.

Which I never thought would ever be possible.

So I wanted to encourage you there is hope.  It might be on the far horizon now but many people on this board have gotten better.  too few maybe but people do get better.

hang in there.  YOU are worth fighting for.

2 Timothy 2:7  Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

posterboy by the grace of God,

deb-rn Contributor

Excellent Post!  Lots of links to help you learn!  

New changes at our house.  We have been Keto (low carb/high fat/mod protein [LCHF]) since November.  My weight wasn't coming off as it should.  I have now started IF(Intermittent Fasting) and am really noticing the difference this week.  The Keto way of eating is naturally gluten-free and keeps carbs at 20 net grams daily.  No starchy wheat substitutes!  We are loving the health benefits.  I have done 23 hr fasts the past 3 days and I feel so good!  The carbs I used to eat always kept me hungry!  You can't do this successfully until you are fully fat-adapted, without feeling hungry and miserable!  I even slept 8 full hours last night!  My usual is 3.5-5.5....not by choice. More sleep would aid my body in repair as it should.  As this toxic fat leaves, I'm hoping my chronic pain will ease up too.  Traveling later this month will be easier by eating just 1 meal a day too!  I'm pretty excited about the changes in my health!

Debbie

Ennis-TX Grand Master
45 minutes ago, deb_rn said:

Excellent Post!  Lots of links to help you learn!  

New changes at our house.  We have been Keto (low carb/high fat/mod protein [LCHF]) since November.  My weight wasn't coming off as it should.  I have now started IF(Intermittent Fasting) and am really noticing the difference this week.  The Keto way of eating is naturally gluten-free and keeps carbs at 20 net grams daily.  No starchy wheat substitutes!  We are loving the health benefits.  I have done 23 hr fasts the past 3 days and I feel so good!  The carbs I used to eat always kept me hungry!  You can't do this successfully until you are fully fat-adapted, without feeling hungry and miserable!  I even slept 8 full hours last night!  My usual is 3.5-5.5....not by choice. More sleep would aid my body in repair as it should.  As this toxic fat leaves, I'm hoping my chronic pain will ease up too.  Traveling later this month will be easier by eating just 1 meal a day too!  I'm pretty excited about the changes in my health!

Debbie

Sounds a bit like my diet, high fat, fiber and protein....got to admit fasting kills me. Fighting to get and stat at 128 and shooting for 130 at 5'11".   And I eat 3 meals a day and take protein powder shot between meals and at night 2-3 times waking up to eat. Tried a 8 hours fast by not snacking at night, woke up feeling like I was hit by a truck, hurt all day, and dropped 3 lbs.  My endoscope fast last month made me loose 6 lbs in 24 hourss constantly drinking broth and BCAAs.

deb-rn Contributor

You know most of us want to hurt you, right?  LOL.  You must have an amazing metabolism.  I could never fast before... not even 8 hrs... until I got my macro numbers in order!  The very low carbs are the key, for me, I think.  My body was just so carb dependent, it kept making me hungry so I would eat more!  NEVER in my wildest dreams did I think I would feel satisfied eating only once a day!  Hubby is going to try the fast with me now too.  It would be nice if we were both eating at the same time and not have to stop and make something when I'm not eating!  GOD has led me to places I never would have dreamed I'd go 5 yrs ago!  First it was giving up gluten, then dairy, soy, tomatoes, potatoes, corn & all grains.  I don't know that I could have done this all at once, but progressively, it wasn't hard at all.  Just think about the things you CAN have and keep it as natural as you can.... the way we were intended to eat before the Industrial Revolution!  I always say... I have an OLD spirit.... from the Laura Ingalls Wilder generation!  Now I'm actually living it!

Debbie

cyclinglady Grand Master

@Ennis_TX -- you have both celiac disease and UC.  I would not recommend fasting.  You are not overweight and do not have diabetes.  You need every bit of nutrition you can absorb.  

Fasting is the new "thing" out there in diet land.  But there is no scientific evidence as to how it impacts you in the long term.  Sure, historically, if you did not find food, you fasted.  But typically, you were dead by 40.  

Keep doing what works for you!  There is no "cookie cutter" recipe for anything in life because there are too many variables.  

• 1 month later...
emma6 Enthusiast

@Jm34  how are you doing now? i was following your posts since i have similar symptoms hope you're alright

• 3 months later...
knitty kitty Grand Master
On 3/8/2017 at 11:53 AM, Jm34 said:

So i almost died in the past days at least it  felt like... 

Jm34, 

How are you?  We have been concerned about you and your progress.  Has your health improved?  Did you and your doctors discover what was wrong?  We would love to hear from you.  Hope you are feeling much better. 

Best regards, 

Knitty Kitty 

Archived