This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Panera New Englad Clam Chowder from grocery store

Deades

Deades Contributor

Here are the ingredients:

light cream, clam broth from concentrate, potatoes, clam meat, onions, contains 2% or less of:. corn starch, butter (cream, salt) sea salt, garlic, fish stock (pollock, salt) onion powder, nisi preparation and spice.  Contains milk and shellfish.  May contain crustacean shellfish.

I bought from grocery store because I didn't see any gluten on label.  I had for lunch yesterday and by night fall was covered in hives.  What did I miss?  I looked at the Panera website and on their website wheat flour is listed as an ingredient.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It could be cross contamination at the plant. It also could have been something else you ate fairly recently as sometimes reactions can be delayed.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

New England Clam Chowder (Water, Whipping Cream [Milk], Potatoes [Russet Potatoes, Calcium Chloride], Sea Clam Juice [Sea Clam Juice, Salt], Clams [Sea Clams, Water, Salt], Onions, Salted Butter, Clam Base [Cooked Clams In Clam Broth, Salt, Yeast Extract, Potato Flour, Butter, Clam Extract, Sugar, Onion Powder, Cod Powder, Garlic Powder], Wheat Flour, Corn Starch, Seasoning [Sugar, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Corn Starch, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Canola Oil]).

This is from the panera website....I think the grocery store typed out the label in their label machine and missed a few ingredients to make it look better. I would go back to the store and ask to talk to a manager about it. Inquire as to why the ingredient list is different from the websites, how it is made, like do they get sent a dry mix or liquid mix from HQ or do they make it all fresh on the spot. Talk to them about the gluten issue you had with it.

On a side note NEVER buy a soup or something from a grocery store, restaurant, or soup kitchen if they are not 100% gluten free. It is very common to use wheat flour as a thickening agent, and even if not used in the soup you bought it was probably used in a soup that used that same pot and utensils....can you imagine them cooking a bunch of pots of soup some with wheat ingredients in them in a huge kitchen the chef going from pot to pot. Perhaps using the same ladle to give each a stir or get a bit out to sample.....CC is a huge issue.

cyclinglady Grand Master

The issue here is that it could be ANYTHING and there is no way to really determine exactly what hit you.     What I would suggest that as a Newbie, try to avoid processed foods even if they do not contain any gluten ingredients.  Celiacs usually have additional complications.  We often have or can develop other intolerances or allergies. 

When you are well (symptoms dissipate), then feel free to experiment.  I hope you feel better soon!  

TexasJen Collaborator

What's nisi preparation?

Deades Contributor

I called paneraathome and they told me the food made for retail sale is made  in a different location and the labels are accurate.  She assured me the clam chowder was gluten free.

Deades Contributor

Nisin is a polycyclic antibacterial peptide produced by the bacterium Lactococcus lactis that is used as a food preservative. ... In the food industry, nisin is obtained from the culturing of L. lactis on natural substrates, such as milk or dextrose, and it is not chemically synthesized.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Errors are made during ANY manufacturing process.  Take a look at this mis-labeled product now being recalled because it contains wheat:

Open Original Shared Link

DO NOT panic!  Fortunately this type of occurrence is RARE.  Odds are that your soup does not contain gluten.  But as I stated earlier, celiacs can have or develop food intolerances or even allergies to preservatives, additives.....ANYTHING.  Read about Zonulin and leaky gut.  Reasearchers know so little about the GI system.  

Your best bet is to avoid processed foods until you feel better.  At least choose minimally processed foods.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
10 minutes ago, Deades said:

Nisin is a polycyclic antibacterial peptide produced by the bacterium Lactococcus lactis that is used as a food preservative. ... In the food industry, nisin is obtained from the culturing of L. lactis on natural substrates, such as milk or dextrose, and it is not chemically synthesized.

Gee, I add Nisin to my homemade soups just like my Grandmother -- NOT!  ?

Archived