This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yellowstone trip

KathK

KathK Newbie

Anyone have ideas about eating in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons? We're travelling there for a week, and I'm trying to plan my meals. We will have a cooler and hot pot, but no stove top or grill or microwave. Thanks for any suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Are you camping or staying in a hotel?  If camping, start looking for a propane small camping stove.  You can find them at garage sales or they should be on sale at Walmart.  A stove top can make it easier and you need no electricity.  If staying in motels, ask for a microwave.  But your hot pot  (I am assuming it is like my Instant pot) is so versatile.  You can make just about anything!  Prepare lots of soups and stews in advance.  Freeze and then reheat in the pot.  I would not leave it unattended in a motel (they might frown on it too).  I take my hot pot in the RV.  Usually, because I am on vacation, I prep as much as possible in advance (frozen bags of cooked chicken, pork, ground beef, besides chili and stews), so that I get a break from cooking.  Have it frozen as it will keep longer in the cooler.  Pack your cooler according to use (like I am not going to have chili until mid week so I am going to bury it deep).  Save foods like canned tuna, salmon, pasta, spaghetti sauce, rice for the very end as they require no refrigeration.   

Look at camping websites for  valuable and common sense tips.  

You will have so much fun!  

Edited by cyclinglady
  • 1 year later...
vvicin02 Enthusiast

This is good stuff. I was going to post to get idea's on how to deal with road trips. My wife and I want to travel out west (Yellow Stone or Grand Canyon) but eating is always a concern. I am not a fan of any restaurants but I will take me wife to eat anywhere she likes. I need idea's on to store food or prepare food for the trip. We like to rent cabins but sometimes we stay at Hotels. Just curious on how folks deal with this. I assume, like cyclinglady says, to prepare a lot of food in advance. I do enjoy grilling and cooking so I have no concern about that. I just wonder how it will work out on the road...Man things really change with celiac disease.

notme Experienced

I have just come off two weeks of traveling - had to fly to nj for a wedding, had to drive to fl for the birth of a grandkid :) - flying is more of a pain than driving is lolz - I had to check a bag bc I was bringing sandwiches/food and you can't go through security with it.  after I checked it, we just 'foraged' after going through security.  I was surprised at how many snickity snacks you can get that are safe!

when we are driving, I just take an extra suitcase with things I think i'll need depending on where we are going.  I usually make a rough 'meal plan' - including places to stop that have a good rating on find me gluten free.  I take a cooler, I make a few sammiches, etc - I have an insulated backpack I keep snacks in for the car, we usually hit the grocery store when we get to wherever.... once I got used to plan a, plan b, breakfast, lunch and dinner (and being ok with compromising like that time after my father in law's funeral when everybody decided to go for Chinese, mleh, I just heated up the cheesesteak I brought)  I used to bring EVERYTHING lolz, but i'm getting it down to a science.  after awhile you stop freaking out and it's like an adventure :D