This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Little Improvement on GFD with Blood Work

vvicin02

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Well I got my results today and I really thought I would see better numbers. My ferritin improved from 17 to 46 and Gliadin IgG Antibody dropped from 113 to 48 and my Gliaddin IgA dropped from 102 to 38. However, my Tissue Transglutaminase IgA was 193 then two months later it dropped to 154 and then two months after that it only went down to 150. I really thought I would see a lower number since my Ferritin seems to be improving. Am I doing something wrong with my diet? It has been 4 months. Since I asymptomatic I cannot tell if I am getting exposed. I do not know what to cut from my diet. I never eat out. Anyone else experience this? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

Four months isn't very long. As long as your numbers keep going down you should be good. CYA I'm not a doc.

• 2 weeks later...
1desperateladysaved Proficient

It looks to me very exciting. Ferritin moved very slowly for me and yours jumped much!  I feel that it is a great sign.  I don't have experience with the other numbers.  Keep up the good work!

RMJ Mentor

I am also asymptomatic and my antibody levels decreased slowly. What type of processd foods do you eat?

vvicin02 Enthusiast

I try to avoid as much processed foods as I can. But I have to admit I do eat some Gluten Free processed foods like: Gluten Free Rice Cereal (ingredients look okay - rice, can sugar), cranberry juice, Costco Gluten Free Cashew Clusters, Frito's, Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream, home made bread (tapioca flour, corn starch and brown rice flour), homemade jam and McCormick spices on meats. I stopped drinking coffee and cream thinking there might some cross reaction. I also stopping using skim milk in my granola cereal (made up of gluten-free nuts from nuts.com) and went with Almond milk. My wife is not gluten-free so I have to be very careful where I prepare my food.

How much progress did you make improving your antibody levels? I am glad my Ferritin is dropping but I thought there would be a greater decrease in my Transglutaminase iGa numbers. Thank you both for your feedback.

cyclinglady Grand Master

You are doing well!  It can take years for the TTG to come down.  Really.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/after-going-gluten-free-can-a-positive-ttg-mean-anything-other-than-gluten-present-in-my-diet/

Keep up the good work!  And since I am having my first morning cup of coffee with cream, I suggest you do too!  It will not cause a celiac flare up.  Need more convincing?  I am healed based on a repeat endoscopy and I never gave up plain old coffee and cream.  Since I am no longer lactose intolerant, I consume plenty of dairy.  

vvicin02 Enthusiast

lol thank you so much cyclinglady (love that name) - I really miss my coffee. Thank you so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

Most of  my antibody levels were normal within a year, but my DgP IgA was very stubborn and took several years and a very strict diet - eating limited processed food and that only when certified gluten free. You’re doing great for four months.  Keep up the good work!

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Thank you RMJ. Glad you are doing well also. This Celiac journey is a real challenge. There are days when it seems too much to handle. I appreciate the support - I am a rookie at this..lol

healthysquirrel Enthusiast

Hey vvicin02, I am so glad that your ferritin is better. Do you take supplements or is it just that you are absorbing better already? WOW! That's great! 

I am also a rookie, I understand those moments where you get discouraged. I am trying to find solutions. Having at least 1 or 2 small meals in my fridge at all times helps. When I eat, I serve myself and my tupperware at the same time. That way I don't overeat and have something to grab if I need it. It is so helpful for those moments when you just don't want to cook and keeps you from eating processed foods. Good luck!

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Hi healthysquirrel, I did not take any supplements. I assume because like you said my villi is healing allowing for absorption. I was a little perplexed why my ferritin improved but my anti tissue did not improve as much as I thought. I guess it's on its way.

That is a good idea on the food - I need to take time out and prepare some foods and have it ready. Boy - I miss the days when I could eat anything I want..lol. At least now I am forced to eat more fruit and less sugary foods (my weakness). Thank you for the feedback - I had mac and cheese today...

• 4 weeks later...
Palvyre Apprentice

You may have to get a lot more strict. I was extremely sensitive and got extremely sick from cross contamination. A blessing and a curse. I was able to completely eliminate gluten from my diet and my antibodies were < 3 after 4 months. I avoided any processed product not certified gluten free, I didn't eat out at all, I even found a family butcher for meat to make sure it wasn't contaminated at the grocery store.

ch88 Collaborator
On 11/27/2018 at 6:12 AM, vvicin02 said:

I also stopping using skim milk in my granola cereal (made up of gluten-free nuts from nuts.com) and went with Almond milk

Is the granola made with oats? If so are they certified gluten free? If they aren't labeled gluten free there is a very high risk of cross contamination.

Some people with celiac disease still may not be able to tolerate oats even if they are gluten free. 

vvicin02 Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your reply. In my granola I do not use any oats. It is mainly made up of almonds, pecans, coconut flakes, flax meal, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and puffed rice (gluten-free). I buy all my nuts from nuts.com gluten-free. I hope it is all safe. 

I try to avoid any processed products but I do on occasion eat some gluten-free rice cereal and things like Frito's and ice cream. I make my own bread which I have every morning with margarine and homemade Jam. I also have coffee with pumpkin spice creamer.

My real concern I guess is when I make any meats I do season it with spices that are pure and not blended from McCormick. My wife has a large selection. I have read that it is safe. Has anyone really had any issues with spices impacting their iGa numbers? I guess in a few months we shall see if I have regressed or continue to improve. 

This is like detective work...lol

Thank you all for letting me vent...

Vic

pikakegirl Enthusiast

It took over 6 months for my numbers to get in normal range. I am Silent Celiac and I ate gluten free beginning in 2007 when there was no legislation for ppm gluten free. I wish my doctors had done more extensive vitamin panels and genetic testing which in later years finally helped me add or subtract nutrients for healing. It has been 11 years and I am now just starting to get over some of my food intolerances I had while healing. I was misdiagnosed for over a decade, maybe even 2. I guess it took that long for my immune system to adjust. My pill camera and colonoscopy are unremarkable now. Well wishes in your healing journy.

• 3 weeks later...
Palvyre Apprentice

Mccormick single ingredient spices are safe.

Archived