This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help! Weight Gain On gluten-free Diet

MegGFBoston

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Before I have sympathy for you, Ken, how tall are you??? :P Just kidding -- regardless of your height, if you are struggling with weight issues, you have my complete sympathy. Don't know anything about the Southbeach Diet, but if I find any good information, I'll let you know. Good luck to you . . . Lynne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMCM Rising Star
Hi,

Even us guys have it bad. I have been making some really great dinners lately and some nice desserts. I got on the scales this morning and it hit 200. I usually stay at about 180. I couldn't believe it. What flours are the highest in fat anyone know? How is the South Beach diet and can it be adgusted to the gluten free diet?

South beach is kind of like Atkins, but allows a bit more veggies. In the begining phase it's basically Atkins, but in the later phases it incorporates more low fat dairy and more fruit.

For someone eating gluten free it's great because there are no grains. Lots of protein, certain veggies, certain limited fruits, certain limited cheese & ricotta cheese things.

It's a fairly sound diet. You'll lose weight staying away from baked goodies. Things made gluten free tend to have a lot of calories and not a whole lot of nutritional value, frankly. We feel deprived due to the gluten free situation, and it's easy to eat too much of the high-calorie comfort goodies. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Heather B Newbie

This has been a real problem for me too. I work full time, am a nursing nursing and have a young daughter. I am always on the run. When I didnt have time to pack lunch (and sometimes) dinner, I ended up at the vending machines getting corn chips. I gained probably 15 pounds in a very short period of time. Well, I have cut that out and am exercising regularly but cannot take the weight off. I spoke to my doctor about it and he was actually happy I was gaining weight. He said it meant the diet was working because before I wasn't absorbing nutrients. So now I am stuck with this extra weight and am miserable with no success in taking it off. The real hard part is that I was for the most part unsymptomatic before diagnosis. My celiac was found by a fluke - looking for stomach ulcers and found Celiac. So I don't really feel any better on the diet and am gaining weight which makes me feel worse.

Me too! Have gained about 10 pounds on the diet. I ditto what everyone has said. I think of it as "rebound eating" ... can't eat any pasta, no problem, I'll eat some gluten free brownies. It sucks because I feel like I'm starving half the time because I travel a lot and it's hard to find stuff to eat. So I'm hungry but I've gained weight. Very annoying.

Now I'm back on a fairly low carb diet. I seem to feel better on that anyway and maybe I'll lose these damn 10 lbs.

Susan

BlondeTexan Newbie

If I may make a suggestion, I have found hidden wheat/barley in the most unlikely places. So, I went totally fresh for awhile to identify what was making me break out in rashes and occasionally bloating. I would eat Pace picante sauce, for example, and found it didn't like me. After seaching the internet for postings like these, I found out they put filler in it. ACK. So now I make my own. I found it's sometimes what I am eating that I think is ok, but it has something in it that makes me bloat, creates water weight, and I gain 5 pounds overnight.

rsavage Newbie

I just loved the thread on this particular topic.I am a 62 year old woman who has had her share of weight battles. I own an entire wardrobe for 4 different sized people. (6, 8, 10, 12, and some 14's.) I have been on Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig until I was diagnosed at 58. I am hypothyroid and have both kinds of arthritis. Exercise is still an option but I don't do as much as I used to. Of course, if you don't get it off before menopause it is like skating on gravel. Still, I have found that Weight watchers minus all the bread etc. is just right for me. I have lost 8 lbs. in 6 weeks. I know that isn't much but given the circumstances I am very happy. I am thrilled with the flex plan because I am quite stubborn that I want to eat what I want to eat. Some days I do very well on fresh fruit and salads and vegetable soups. Other days I want to eat peanut butter,chocolate chip rice cakes. It's OK. Now I know how to control the pounds. I don't have to be fat and wonder how I got there. Yes, my system absorbs better. Horray!! I am getting vitamins and minerals that I need. We just need to remember that we are willling to do what it takes to be healthy. Even if that means counting points and staying with it. Hope all of you are successful. I'm thrilled and hope you will at least give it a fly by. It is no harder that Gluten-free.

Stay happy, Rsavage

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

My sister lost a LOT of weight on weight watchers -- she suggested the same thing with regard to using the plan, just incorporate it into my gluten-free diet. Okay, that's the second person to suggest it to me . . . one more and I know I'm being sent a VERY strong message :lol: . . . .Lynne

• 3 weeks later...
Ronnie Apprentice

Hi, I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease about two weeks ago. I have been eating way healthy since! NO FAST FOOD, or junk!

So, i expected to lose weight like everyone keeps telling me. But my weight keeps bouncing from losing one pound to losing four pounds. One day i'll way myself (before food or water) and i weigh one weight, then the next day i weigh myself and i weigh three pounds heavier. Then the day after that i go back down again. I'm so confused, and depressed. One thing i kept telling myself when i was diagnosed was that at least i'll lose some fat.

Does anyone know what the heck is wrong with me?

Thanks for listening, it's hard when noone around you fully understands what it's like!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Pixi
Help - I have been on a gluten-free diet for about 2 months and it wasn't such a bad transitionfor me -the problemis though that I'm gaining too much weight - how can that be when I'm not eating any bread, pasta etc???

Any suggestions? I've gained about 12 lbs and its driving me crazy. Perhaps I'll start Weight Watchers in the New Year - but wanted to hear any other responses

Maggie

I found that I tended to eat tons of meat and snickers and hershey kisses to make up for not having bread and pasta the first week. But, then, I found the gluten-free breads and sweets that satisfied me and I stopped going overboard to make up for the foods I couldn't have that used to satisfy me.

You may just simply be eating too much -- bread and pasta aren't the cause of weight gain, it's the amount. Same thing with meats and gluten-free foods.. its the amount you're eating.. not the fact that they're not innately fattening.

Lauren M Explorer
Hi, I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease about two weeks ago. I have been eating way healthy since! NO FAST FOOD, or junk!

So, i expected to lose weight like everyone keeps telling me. But my weight keeps bouncing from losing one pound to losing four pounds. One day i'll way myself (before food or water) and i weigh one weight, then the next day i weigh myself and i weigh three pounds heavier. Then the day after that i go back down again. I'm so confused, and depressed. One thing i kept telling myself when i was diagnosed was that at least i'll lose some fat.

Does anyone know what the heck is wrong with me?

Thanks for listening, it's hard when noone around you fully understands what it's like!

Your weight naturally fluctuates day to day. For instance, one day you eat a lot of salty foods, your body will naturally retain water = the # on the scale goes up. I think most experts recommend weighing yourself once a week, as weighing yourself daily just isn't an accurate measure of how "well" you're eating/managing your weight. Just a thought!

- Lauren

Ronnie Apprentice
Your weight naturally fluctuates day to day. For instance, one day you eat a lot of salty foods, your body will naturally retain water = the # on the scale goes up. I think most experts recommend weighing yourself once a week, as weighing yourself daily just isn't an accurate measure of how "well" you're eating/managing your weight. Just a thought!

- Lauren

Thanks for the advice. I'll defenitely try that. I know i've been obsessive about my weight!

Thanks again!

Copper Newbie

I am so glad that I logged on and am reading this. I was diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving, 2005. I was shocked and in disbelief for 3 days. I have been on the gluten free diet since and have gained 12 pounds. (mostly due to snickers and Rebecca's Pecan Shortbread cookies!!) I have never been a fan of vegetables and fruits so I am eating horrible. (mostly I am eating a lot of Puffins!) I too feel no energy and am always tired. I need to snap out of my pity party and start exercising and eating better. It is so hard, I have no symptoms and do not feel any different from before my diagnoses. I am also drinking Diet Cokes by the cases, that can't be good for the stomach either. I am also lactose intolerent and have IBS. I am hoping that something improves soon. I hope that this site will help with some insight.

Thanks

Copper

Hi Maggie,

Have been on my gluten free diet since Nov. 1st, 2005 and have gained 9 pounds; feel very bloated. But know what my problems is; have been compensating (perhaps a slight pity party) for not being able to eat regular food, therefore am treating myself to some things I would have rarely eaten before, i.e. Snickers, etc. The wonderful thing is that since my diagnosis of Nov. 1st, am also eating healthier with juicing, smoothies, lots of fruit and vegetables. Also haven't had the energy to exercise like I usually do. Was bicyling 8 miles daily in Sept. and fast walking 2-5 miles, and now it takes all my energy just to get to the grocery store. Am not feeling very socialable either (also unlike me), but am forcing myself to do things, i.e. volunteer at the local library two hours every other week. Finally talked w/ my Qualifying Broker today about putting my real estate career on the back burner. That was hard to do. But I have a saying for times like these; "this too shall pass".

This Message Board is good for all of us. So many people have never heard of Celiac Disease and therefore can't relate. But we need to put the brakes on our weight gain before it's out of control. I lost 60 pounds (Southbeach Diet) a few years ago and sure don't want to gain it back. That reminds me; the Southbeach Diet frowns on potatoes, and I've been eating more of them lately, again to compensate for the change in diet.

My best,

Dianna

francelajoie Explorer

I was doing an hour of exercise a day, 4 days a week before I went gluten-free. After I started the diet I started gaining weight. I don't eat sweets at all. I have chocolate here and there to satisfy my cravings. Now, I exercise 6 times a week and I'm back to my normal weight. I figure that gluten-free stuff have more calories.

rsavage Newbie
I am so glad that I logged on and am reading this. I was diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving, 2005. I was shocked and in disbelief for 3 days. I have been on the gluten free diet since and have gained 12 pounds. (mostly due to snickers and Rebecca's Pecan Shortbread cookies!!) I have never been a fan of vegetables and fruits so I am eating horrible. (mostly I am eating a lot of Puffins!) I too feel no energy and am always tired. I need to snap out of my pity party and start exercising and eating better. It is so hard, I have no symptoms and do not feel any different from before my diagnoses. I am also drinking Diet Cokes by the cases, that can't be good for the stomach either. I am also lactose intolerent and have IBS. I am hoping that something improves soon. I hope that this site will help with some insight.

Thanks

Copper

rsavage Newbie

Just a word or two about weight loss and Celiac. I have been gluten free for about 4 years. At first I had lost so much I just didn't care. I wanted to gain back weight but went about it in the wrong way. Soon I couldn't stop gaining. I believe (right 0r wrong) that my system had been starved for so long that it over compensated. I also ate a lot of gluten free foods and white rice. I have tried to diet including glutenfree processed foods. This was to no avail. I have recently (last 9 ) weeks discovered that Weight Watchers is good for me. I am finally learning how to eat at 62 years old. There are many temptations out there inspite of no doughnuts w/gluten and assorted other goodies. At weight watchers I count points (not too hard considering what I had to learn with gluten intolerance). Of course any gluten containing foods are not available but I can eat anything. I just can't eat everything. I find with plenty of variety in fruits and vegetables I am not so hungry. Hope this helps even a tiny bit. R. Savage

• 1 month later...
mxblum Newbie

I couldn't agree with RSavage more. Just because you have Celiac doesn't mean you HAVE to eat the unhealthy crap they package as gluten-free. There are plenty of gluten-free foods that are filling and work great when counting Weight-Watchers points (which we've had to do since we got back from Italy). Fresh vegetables are crucial and many have zero points. There are even plenty of grains that fit nicely with Weight Watchers. Half a cup of rice is only 2 points, and a slice of the brown sandwich Kinnickkinnick bread is only ONE point. Another thing--my wife and I are extremely carb-sensitive, but we find we can really put a stop to the cravings between meals by also incorporating some basic techniques of the Zone diet into our lives. This one's easy: Just make sure you get some protein, some fat, and some carbs at each meal. It doesn't have to be the ideal Zone ratio of 30% of calories from good protein like broiled fish, 30% from good fat like olive oil, 40% from GOOD carbs like fruits and veggies, whole grains like buckwheat or brown rice, etc., but the closer you are to this ratio, the better. Once we stopped eating alll those bad carbs (refined flours and sugars), and took control of our glycemic indexes with a Zone-friendly Weight Watchers regimen, we were amazed at how little appeal the sweets and starches had for us.

Bromo Newbie

I was diagnoised about 2 months ago, and have gained about 10+ pounds in a month. I do not eat any sweets. I save my extra carbs (Rice / Pototoes/ Gluten free pasta ) for the weekends only. I go to the gym 4 nights a week and try to walk at least 3 nights. I have to push myself to go, because I feel so fatigue all the time. (Also I have been going to the gym now for 2 years, since I quit smoking. I did not gain this much weight when I stop smoking. GO Figure!!) I went to the family doctor, but she does not know much about Celiacs.

Bromo

Lauren M Explorer
I was diagnoised about 2 months ago, and have gained about 10+ pounds in a month. I do not eat any sweets. I save my extra carbs (Rice / Pototoes/ Gluten free pasta ) for the weekends only. I go to the gym 4 nights a week and try to walk at least 3 nights. I have to push myself to go, because I feel so fatigue all the time. (Also I have been going to the gym now for 2 years, since I quit smoking. I did not gain this much weight when I stop smoking. GO Figure!!) I went to the family doctor, but she does not know much about Celiacs.

Bromo

Hi Bromo and welcome to the board :)

I'm not sure how many calories you're taking in per day, but there is such a thing as too eating too little, sending your body more or less into "starvation mode" -basically conserving your weight even though you're eating less. I'm no expert, but no one should be eating less than 1200 calories a day!

Plus, if you're working out, you may be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. If you weigh more on the scale, but your clothes feel looser, it definitely means you're gaining muscle mass - that's a good thing!

You're still new at the whole gluten-free thing, so give your body a chance to figure out what is going on. You may want to see a nutrionist for a visit or two so you can get a balanced meal plan - I know it has helped me (even though my problem was that I needed to gain weight). The lack of energy could also indicate some problem the nutrionist or a good doctor could help you improve.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

- Lauren

jesscarmel Enthusiast
Help - I have been on a gluten-free diet for about 2 months and it wasn't such a bad transitionfor me -the problemis though that I'm gaining too much weight - how can that be when I'm not eating any bread, pasta etc???

Any suggestions? I've gained about 12 lbs and its driving me crazy. Perhaps I'll start Weight Watchers in the New Year - but wanted to hear any other responses

Maggie

Hi Meg

Ive also been on the gluten-free diet for almost two months and ive been paraonoid about gaining weight because i heard alot of people start gaining weight when they start the diet. i am a normal weight so i dont want to gain more. ive put on a few pounds since starting the diet. does anyone know if the weight gain would take place right away (like the first few months) or later on.....im hoping it wont continue...and that im out of the clear of the initial gain from beginning to absorb nutrients.

thanks

Jess (Boston)

Guinevere Newbie

Thanks

Copper

=====================================================

you're consuming alot of sugar, try to phase yourself to vegetables. start with your favorite veges and move on to trying different/new ones. your fatigue probably comes from high blood sugar levels, followed by crashing. get off the sugar, because most celiacs have candidas.

DO get yourself on water, more veges, fruit, and be patient. it takes time for your stomach to heal and make sure you get yourself on probiotics.

give yourself some time and do not weigh yourself more than once a week. if you're really pressed to lose weight, try walking 3 times a week for 20 minutes each day. drink water, water, water and eat more fruits and veges - they're naturally high in fiber.

good luck!!

Lynxear Rookie

hmmmmm....I have been wheat-free for 2 months now and have had an annoying 10lb weight gain since then.

I attribute the weight gain to the gluten-free breads I have tried.

A small loaf of this stuff weighs about 900gms (2 lbs)...an equivalent sized wheat flour loaf would have weighed less than 450gms(1 lb).

I have two slices/day either with eggs (I love eggs on toast) or just with peanut butter. I did this in the past with wheat bread too.

I figure each slice of gluten-free bread is at LEAST the equivalent of 2 slices of whole wheat bread...probably more.

ALSO....the gluten free breads are full of tapioca starch, cornstarch, rice flour and potato starch....the first two are certainly thickeners....my observation is that my stools are certainly solid and while I am not constipated....bowel movements are certainly fewer....

I will lay dollars to donuts that the tapioca and corn starchs are the reason for this and are a major reason for my weight gain....I will prove it to myself by cutting down on gluten-free breads (as I said earlier....I am a bread-aholic, so this is a challenge)

Archived