This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Weight Gain On gluten-free Diet

MegGFBoston

MegGFBoston Rookie

Help - I have been on a gluten-free diet for about 2 months and it wasn't such a bad transitionfor me -the problemis though that I'm gaining too much weight - how can that be when I'm not eating any bread, pasta etc???

Any suggestions? I've gained about 12 lbs and its driving me crazy. Perhaps I'll start Weight Watchers in the New Year - but wanted to hear any other responses

Maggie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mookie03 Contributor
Help - I have been on a gluten-free diet for about 2 months and it wasn't such a bad transitionfor me -the problemis though that I'm gaining too much weight - how can that be when I'm not eating any bread, pasta etc???

Any suggestions? I've gained about 12 lbs and its driving me crazy. Perhaps I'll start Weight Watchers in the New Year - but wanted to hear any other responses

Maggie

Maggie- i would try not to freak out about the weight gain, as it is probably your body absorbing what it was not absorbing prior to going gluten free. It may take your body a few months to level off, at which point it will be much easier to lose the weight you have gained. Right now, your body is looking for extra calories, nutrients, etc to replenish itself. I gained a few pounds when i went gluten-free too, but after a while, my body is starting to adjust and i expect the pounds to go away as quickly as they came. Also keep in mind that a lot of gluten-free foods are low in fiber and high in calories- so try to stick to naturally gluten-free foods instead of processed foods. Good luck!

Guest kim07

Maggie

Hello Maggie, :)

I have the same problems! So don't feel alone! I've however gained 30 lbs not 12lbs. I wish it was only twelve!

Like what Mookie said before, a lot of the gluten free foods that we have on the market today, contain a lot more calories than the 'non-gluten' foods found on the market.

This is mainly due to the fact that gluten free food might contain 2 or 3 different types of four in it, for example, like almond, tapioca, and rice flour, where as a regular item on the market that contains gluten has just plain gluten flour in it.

My advice for you would be to stay away from sweets. That was my downfall.

I was so much missing the foods that I thought I could never eat again, I began to eat gluten free sweets such as gluten free cookies, (specialty breads, like banana bread, pumpkin bread, etc), brownies, and of course candies. DON'T DO THAT! OR DO THAT VERY RARELY!! They are like 3 times the calories of the regualar cookies that contain gluten.

Just try to stick to a diet with fish (salmon), broccoli, other fish, (any thing Real and not packaged), try to avoid starches for a while (potatoes, rice), to help you lose weight, and of course exercise.

I'm in the same boat, but I have a little bit more to lose than you.

Celiac Disease is hard because, I don't know about you, but with me it sucks my energy away. And the last thing you feel like doing is exercising! But I am trying to start walking again, it helps to have a friend to walk with (maybe 45 minutes a day), to make it more enjoyable.

Twelve lbs isn't that bad, so don't get discouraged, and just watch what you eat, and remember to try to burn some of it off!

Good luck,

Kim 07

• 3 weeks later...
PreOptMegs Explorer

I know I gained a bit these holidays.... when you know that you are limited to the deserts you can eat compared to the rest of the people in your house, then I know I tend to over-indulge on the bad things like Snickers and M&Ms. It is just going to take some massive will power to get through it.

Guest Rad

Hi Maggie,

Have been on my gluten free diet since Nov. 1st, 2005 and have gained 9 pounds; feel very bloated. But know what my problems is; have been compensating (perhaps a slight pity party) for not being able to eat regular food, therefore am treating myself to some things I would have rarely eaten before, i.e. Snickers, etc. The wonderful thing is that since my diagnosis of Nov. 1st, am also eating healthier with juicing, smoothies, lots of fruit and vegetables. Also haven't had the energy to exercise like I usually do. Was bicyling 8 miles daily in Sept. and fast walking 2-5 miles, and now it takes all my energy just to get to the grocery store. Am not feeling very socialable either (also unlike me), but am forcing myself to do things, i.e. volunteer at the local library two hours every other week. Finally talked w/ my Qualifying Broker today about putting my real estate career on the back burner. That was hard to do. But I have a saying for times like these; "this too shall pass".

This Message Board is good for all of us. So many people have never heard of Celiac Disease and therefore can't relate. But we need to put the brakes on our weight gain before it's out of control. I lost 60 pounds (Southbeach Diet) a few years ago and sure don't want to gain it back. That reminds me; the Southbeach Diet frowns on potatoes, and I've been eating more of them lately, again to compensate for the change in diet.

My best,

Dianna

Guest gfinnebraska

I agree with Kim07 ~ gluten-free foods are very dense and full of calories!!! Yikes! I have stopped buying all gluten-free desserts. I treat gluten-free donuts as a special treat for Christmas, etc. If you exercise, eat foods like plain meat, veggies, fruit, then you should see the weight come back off soon. :) I think we all go through the stage of eating all the yummies we miss!! gluten-free oreo cookies & donuts would be on my menu daily... except I wouldn't be able to fit through the door in a month or so!!! Ha! Good luck and know that you are not alone!! :)

jerseyangel Proficient

The gluten-free baked goods were making me gain weight also. I went through the "I can't have so many things anymore, so I'll eat as much as I want of the safe stuff" period and gained 12 lbs. in 2 months. I've cut way back on the treats--and begun exercising again. My weight is headed back down. I am not dieting the way I used to--I make sure I eat plenty of the good stuff (meats, veggies, fruit, and olive oil, dark chocolate :) ) because I'm still healing and my health is more important to me than a certain weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sspitzer5 Apprentice

Maggie

Me too! Have gained about 10 pounds on the diet. I ditto what everyone has said. I think of it as "rebound eating" ... can't eat any pasta, no problem, I'll eat some gluten free brownies. It sucks because I feel like I'm starving half the time because I travel a lot and it's hard to find stuff to eat. So I'm hungry but I've gained weight. Very annoying.

Now I'm back on a fairly low carb diet. I seem to feel better on that anyway and maybe I'll lose these damn 10 lbs.

Susan

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Okay, guys, so what can we do about this?????!!!! I eat around 900 - 1000 calories per day, and I'm STILL gaining weight. Has anyone seen a nutritionist who gave them any good information?

Heather22 Rookie

Hi tiredofdoctors

Why are you eating that little calories? That is VERY low...for anyone. If you are eating too little, your body goes into starvation mode and will store every single thing you put in your mouth (and your metabolism drastically slows down). I would put $ on that is why you are gaining weight. Nine hundred calories is hardly enough to sustain normal living. Don't do that to yourself!

It is true that some Celiacs gain weight when going gluten free, but I really suggest up'ing your calories. Also try to replace your food with fresh veggies, fruit and organic meat. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust.

Good luck!

H : )

Thanks for the advice, Heather. I'll try upping my calories -- I mostly have smoothies 1) they're easy and 2)I don't feel like eating. I'll try eating fruits & veggies and increase the calories -- my neuro doc wants me to swim to see if it will help increase some of the cerebellar coordination -- maybe that will help with weight loss, as well. Thanks for the advice -- I'll let you know how it goes! . . . . Lynne

ndunn43 Newbie

Hi, I have also gained a lot of weight since going gluten free. Except, I have always had a problem keeping weight off. I was diagnosed Nov 2004 and have gained 20 lbs since. I was thinking of doing weight watchers. I also compensated with gluten-free sweets, now I wait for a special occasion. I joined a gym, but have not gone in 3 months. I work about 50 hours a week and just started to slow down a little. My children are 18, 21, and 24, so I don't run around like I used to. Any suggestions about calorie count and diet to get all this weight off? It is very depressing.. Weight watchers?

CMCM Rising Star
Okay, guys, so what can we do about this?????!!!! I eat around 900 - 1000 calories per day, and I'm STILL gaining weight. Has anyone seen a nutritionist who gave them any good information?

I have read a million times that women should never eat fewer than 1200 calories per day. Please believe it that you can GAIN weight on low calories. The body is easily triggered into starvation mode where it attempts to store every calorie as fat. Your metabolism shifts into a much slower mode (think of a bear hibernating) and therefore burns even fewer calories than it would normally. I have read about bodybuilder diets where they manipulate calories (some days more, some days less) and by slowly increasing their metabolism by eating more and more, and if this is done correctly, they actually LOSE weight as they eat more. The point of mentioning this is to emphasize how efficient your body is at survival, and that eating low calories doesn't necessarily correlate with weight loss. You mess up your metabolism when you eat low calories.

You need to evaluate WHAT you are eating. Concentrate on higher protein....and more veggies, controlled fruit intake, and forget the gluten free treats...they are high calorie and can really mess things up.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I definately agree that the gluten-free treats are really a lot more harm than they are worth eating. Your body will perform according to how you fuel it. I try to eat as few of processed foods as possible and lots of protein and complex carbs. It is so easy to gain weight even if following a gluten-free diet. There are so many ice creams, trail mixes, pancake mixes, pizzas, candy that are gluten-free, we really can get plenty of cals per day.

cgilsing Enthusiast

Hi Maggie!

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain! I think it happens to a LOT of people who start the gluten-free diet. I gained 20lbs! :o It does level off once your body finishes healing itself from the years of illness. I don't know how you feel about it, but I was really used to seeing my too skinny self in the mirror. When I started gaining weight, it looked really strange to me. However, since then everyone has commented on how I look good. Plus I have had several comments from people that they had wondered if I had an eating disorder. My own mom admits that she followed me into the bathroom at the dorm eating hall once, because she suspected that I was throwing up my food! :rolleyes: Anyways....the 12lbs you gained may look strange to you, but it may really look good on you too! If once your body heals, you still aren't happy about weight you have gained, you might try cutting out potatoes too. That way you will decrease your carbs even more.

Guest stef 4 dogs

Maggie

Hi! I'm so glad you posted! I am having a terrible time with weight gain, I don't know what to do either! I am really struggling with depression because of the weight gain! It seems as if this should be a healthier diet and weight loss should come with it but its not the case for me. Ihave not found to many things gluten free I like, so I have been eating fruits and veggies and meats , what the heck! I'm considering diet pills I'm so desperate!

Stef

Silver-naki Rookie

Good topic here on the Weight Gain & going "gluten-Free."...... :huh:

It seems most of us in our Society nowadays, go through the WEIGHT "thing." Isn't it just a bummer? For the record here, I too have GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT since going "gluten-Free." I kept thinking to myself, "what the heck?" After reading some of the Posts here, I find it is not abnormal.

My biggest problem is, I love POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes! :unsure:

Also, everyone's body metabolism is different, & especially when a person "ages," that doesn't help either, as I think it's a natural "thing" for folks to put on pounds as they age. Our bodies are always in a constant state of "change."

Sooo, I'm debating whether to just stay "FAT" and love my POTATOES, or restrict myself some more! (haven't quite gotten to that point yet with the gluten-Free Diet & all!) All I know is none of us are going to look like BO DEREK, that's for sure~ :(

zip2play Apprentice

I have had the same problem. I have felt sorry for myself since going gluten-free and have turned to M&M's and other allowed chocolates to comfort my pain! I am going to clean out my house and start fresh with no candy type stuff for a while on Monday! See if that helps!

Monica

Glad to know it is NOT just me!

Guest stef 4 dogs
I have had the same problem. I have felt sorry for myself since going gluten-free and have turned to M&M's and other allowed chocolates to comfort my pain! I am going to clean out my house and start fresh with no candy type stuff for a while on Monday! See if that helps!

Monica

Glad to know it is NOT just me!

Hi Everyone!

I think the problem with me is I'm so afraid to eat anything for fear I'll get sick, that I've been eating way healthier than I ever have and that's packin on the pounds! I used to eat bags of cheese curls and filled doughnuts and now its fruit and meats. Somehow you think the weight would slip off. Does your metabolism get screwed up with this disease? I'm on thyroid meds, I'm Hypo and just got tested less than a month ago and my levels were fine. I feel like Balooka in Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory!

stef 4 dogs

Timber4est Rookie

Me too! My thyroid called it quit, I am hypo so no sugar for me and yes, in the first week of being gluten free, I packed five additional pounds (I think all on my caboose).

I do have more energy though and just last night slept for a solid 8 hours. I am exercising more and hope that after a month of this gluten-free diet that the weight gain stops.

Currently I am waiting for my appointment with the dietician to find out what "thyroid" happy foods there are out there and will share them with you once I know.

grr, the junk in the trunk keeps expanding.

Deborah

Guest stef 4 dogs
Me too! My thyroid called it quite, I am hypo so no sugar for me and yes, in the first week of being gluten free, I packed five additional pounds (I think all on my caboose).

I do have more energy though and just last night slept for a solid 8 hours. I am exercising more and hope that after a month of this gluten-free diet that the weight gain stops.

Currently I am waiting for my appointment with the dietician to find out what "thyroid" happy food there are out there and will share them with you once I know.

grr, the junk in the trunk keeps expanding.

Deborah

anyone got a pin HA HA HA! My bluberry is seeping out of the seems in my pants and my ass has become a road block! My body should be tagged "CONSTRUCTION SITE"!!!!LOL

stef 4 dogs

anyone got a pin HA HA HA! My bluberry is seeping out of the seems in my pants and my ass has become a road block! My body should be tagged "CONSTRUCTION SITE"!!!!LOL

stef 4 dogs

someday my thighs are going to catch fire from rubbing together!

stef 4 dogs

I think the best part of this forum is that, because we're all in the same boat, we all have a great, albeit twisted, sense of humor about the whole thing!!!!! :lol::lol:

At any rate, I found a dietician in my area who actually KNOWS about Celiac and Gluten intolerance. I have spoken with her about my concerns, and particularly with the issue of weight gain / wanting to lose, and I have an appointment Feb 20. She is going to put together an entire "game plan" for me with regard to this -- and she said that she has a wealth of information with regard to it, and will give me copies of all . . .

She actually attended a conference recently that was presented by Shelley Case, the author of Gluten-Free Diet: A comprehensive resource guide.

Will let you know if she gives me any good advice. I have TONS of junk in my trunk and have a daughter getting married in August. Her future mother-in-law (who is a real WITCH <_< ), is as skinny as a rail. I don't want it to be :"First comes in the FAT mother, then comes in the SKINNY mother." Hence, gotta lose a LOT of weight. Don't want my daughter to have them play "Baby got back" when I come down the aisle :P

Talk to you soon . . . . Lynne

Guest stef 4 dogs
I think the best part of this forum is that, because we're all in the same boat, we all have a great, albeit twisted, sense of humor about the whole thing!!!!! :lol::lol:

At any rate, I found a dietician in my area who actually KNOWS about Celiac and Gluten intolerance. I have spoken with her about my concerns, and particularly with the issue of weight gain / wanting to lose, and I have an appointment Feb 20. She is going to put together an entire "game plan" for me with regard to this -- and she said that she has a wealth of information with regard to it, and will give me copies of all . . .

She actually attended a conference recently that was presented by Shelley Case, the author of Gluten-Free Diet: A comprehensive resource guide.

Will let you know if she gives me any good advice. I have TONS of junk in my trunk and have a daughter getting married in August. Her future mother-in-law (who is a real WITCH <_< ), is as skinny as a rail. I don't want it to be :"First comes in the FAT mother, then comes in the SKINNY mother." Hence, gotta lose a LOT of weight. Don't want my daughter to have them play "Baby got back" when I come down the aisle :P

Talk to you soon . . . . Lynne

Hey Lynne,

Just laughed out loud reading your thread! You want to chuckle? I work someplace that has a button to automatically open the door ,I happen to have my hands full dropped something bent over to pick it up and my caboose pushed the button and opened the door! CAN YOU SAY DIET??? HA HA And adding insult to injury someone saw it!!! The beauty of age and weight! I can't hold my bladder, I'm overweight, and I'm short! I'm a stump with legs1 HA HA

stef 4 dogs

stef 4 dogs: I about peed my pants after reading your post!! :lol::lol: Time and gravity haven't been kind to me -- I keep complaining that I have to pick my butt up off the back of my knees!!!!! :P . . .Lynne

sillyken Enthusiast

Hi,

Even us guys have it bad. I have been making some really great dinners lately and some nice desserts. I got on the scales this morning and it hit 200. I usually stay at about 180. I couldn't believe it. What flours are the highest in fat anyone know? How is the South Beach diet and can it be adgusted to the gluten free diet?

Archived