This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Month Did You Get Dx'ed?

anerissara

anerissara Enthusiast

I was just wondering what month you were diagnosed in, or specifically how many people got really sick (perhaps leading to diagnosis or to trying the gluten-free diet) around the holidays? Last Christmas/Thanksgiving and the year before that were my sickest times, and this year (first one gluten-free) has been much much better. Just wondering if all those holiday cookies and rolls might have caused a crisis! My 1 year gluten-free aniversary will by the end of January.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmmadden Contributor

Interesting point. I think you are right with all the gluten involved in traditional holiday celebrations.

Thanksgiving weekend '04 I almost passed out from all the stuffing, pies, cookies, etc. I was diagnosed 1-1/2 weeks later in early December '04 and have felt a lot better this holiday season.

Best Of Luck!

Cleveland Bob B)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I was also diagnosed around Christmastime (3 or 4 years ago, I can't remember, I know the boys were already born though and they are 4 yrs old). The first time I was diagnosed (in my early 20's, I can't remember what month that was......)

Karen

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I started getting really sick in October 2003 and I was diagnosed in March 2004.

jerseyangel Proficient

I started getting very ill in the fall of 2003. At that time, my Dr. felt that my anemia was caused by heavy monthly blood loss. In Mar. 04, I had a procedure under general anesthetic to control it. After that, the accute symptoms of Celiac kicked in worse than ever before. I was diagnosed in June of 2005.

carriecraig Enthusiast

I started getting really sick in March '05, and was diagnosed in June '05. I don't remember if the holiday food made me feel really bad last year or not.

uclangel422 Apprentice

I started feeling really sick in January 2005 and diagnosed in April 2005. I guess i was pretty lucky that it only took four months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

4getgluten Rookie

I too started to get really sick last year around the holidays. I continued to get worse until March 05 when I switched to a gulten-free diet. Last New Year I was sick and depressed, this New Year's I feel great. I am so thankful that my health is back... and so very thankful for all the wonderful people on this board! I have spent hours reading your posts and learning everything I could about a gluten-free diet.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I have been sick all my life, but got REALLY sick in May 2005, and diagnosed myself with Celiac disease in October 2005, confirmed by my doctor. I've been feeling terrible this Christmas, probably because now apparently a severe sensitivity to salicylates has kicked in (or wasn't as noticable when glutened, or now my intestines are healing and taking up the salicylates better, which is probably the best theory).

But it seems, looking back, that around Christmastime I'd always be feeling even worse than the rest of the year.

chuikov Newbie

I've never been diagnosed by a doctor. I had always been prone to diarrhea, and it was gradually getting worse over the years. My older sister was much worse, and was misdiagnosed many times before a bright doctor told her to try a gluten free diet almost ten years ago. It helped alot after a short while. I quickly noticed that I tended to get very bad and painful diarrhea after eating things like pizza, pasta or subs. I had never made the connection to something as seemingly benign as wheat flour. I tried cutting out other foods like dairy, meat, spicy stuff, before but not surprizingly, it didn't help. In fact cutting out meat made it much worse because I ended up eating more gluten.

I never bothered to go to a doctor about it because it was pretty obvious what was going on once my sister was properly diagnosed.

dlp252 Apprentice

I don't have an official diagnosis, but I've put the pieces together from the Enterolab testing I had done in November and the positive response to diet. Looking back, the past few years (including this one) I did get sick around this time. Last year I was VERY sick from November to February or March. Interestingly, I had been eating a low carb diet for at least two years before that, but loosened up around the holidays last year and enjoyed some of my mothers yummy cookies that she only makes at Christmas. I also sampled goodies people brought to work--not a lot--just a little here and there. This year I started early--after a cruise at the end of August, I started eating breads and stuff again...sure enough I was sick for the entire month of October and the first half of November.

traveljunkie Rookie

My son and I both got sick in Feb 2005 and finally dx in summer. After a very frust

rating journey to health, we are finally feeling better! :)

Charlene

NYCisTHEplaceTObe Rookie

i have been sick for many many years but it got really bad around 2001 and I finally self diagnosed myself with at least a gluten intolerance fall of 2005.

sillyyak Enthusiast

I got sick in August 2005 and got diagnosed in November 2005.

loraleena Contributor
I was just wondering what month you were diagnosed in, or specifically how many people got really sick (perhaps leading to diagnosis or to trying the gluten-free diet) around the holidays? Last Christmas/Thanksgiving and the year before that were my sickest times, and this year (first one gluten-free) has been much much better. Just wondering if all those holiday cookies and rolls might have caused a crisis! My 1 year gluten-free aniversary will by the end of January.

I have had problems for years, but got really sick in March after a stomach flu. I had fevers and "chronic fatigue for months. Then in July I read about gluten intolerance and it fit what was happening. I was told to stop wheat, but not gluten in April. I was eating lots of spelt and nauseaus every day. I got tested by enterolab in July and was pos for gluten int. I have been gluten free since, and am doing much better.

Archived