• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jajus100

Non-celiac, But Gluten Free....

Rate this topic

Well, I tested negatively for the Ttg test. I was postive on the Antigliadin IGG, but that was the only one. My GI basically said that test was worthless. My general was the one who first suspected Celiac and tested me for it. My GI said it was impossible because the ttg was negative. Well anyway, while I was being tested in all kinds of ways from my GI, except for endoscopy, I experimented with gluten. I would go off it for 2 weeks, I would get better. I would eat a lot of bread for 2 weeks and I would get sick.... My GI, basically said, well, he doesn't think that would be it, but if I believe it kind of thing... UGH... Anyway, he has dismissed me, since he couldn't "find the cause."

I have now been gluten free for a little while. ALL of my gastrointestinal symptoms are gone. I now have my energy back. I still don't know what I have, but I guess it doesn't matter if gluten free seems to be the answer...

Yeah, its sort of hard to argue with the body. I found out I'm not digesting milk correctly either. Amazing how much better I feel since giving that one up too!

Yea, at this point, I've tested neg TTG on the York home test, and low on the IgG and IgA, so I'm pretty much expecting that I'll have a negative biopsy, therefore, not celiac.

BUT, I feel like a completely different person off gluten, and it's obvious to me that my body, my intellect and my psyche are all negatively effected by gluten.

So, the doctors can call it whatever they want. But I'm not eating gluten anymore after the biopsy. I just feel better mentally, physically and intellectually. That's all I need.

In the book Dangerous Grains, they call it non-celiac gluten sensitivity.

I think that when all is said and done, and the doctors, researchers and geneticists all figure all this out, I think that gluten-related disorders will be a group of conditions. Not just celiac-positive or celiac-negative. I figure that 100 years ago there are diseases, medicines and treatments we all know about that they had never heard of. 100 years from now, it will be the same story. Science is an evolution. We just happen to be at the beginning of this particular story.

I think there are tons of people out there who have symptoms of celiac, but were negative on the biopsy and/or blood tests, and are suffering needlessly and still looking for answers because they never tried going gluten-free for a while just to see how they FELT.

Nancy

I think there are tons of people out there who have symptoms of celiac, but were negative on the biopsy and/or blood tests, and are suffering needlessly and still looking for answers because they never tried going gluten-free for a while just to see how they FELT.

Nancy

Listening to your own body--I couldn't agree more.

My dr agrees with me that the tests just aren't sophisticated enough yet to get all of the answers. But you've proved your point with the diet challenge. I still can't understand why so many dr's want to be able to fix things with meds or surgery or some sort of regime while the diet works wonders!!! It's a good thing you have enough sense to listen to your body. I never had any tests, just the diet challenge and that was enough for me. Later I might get my gene testing done, and my dd's too because she's having some problems and I just want to have a better understanding of what might happen to her in the future.

We haven't tested her, but fairly sure my 'better-half' isn't Celiac... but seeing my turnabout, she decided to go gluten/wheat free as well. She started about 1 month behind me, so it's been 4 months. She just turned 50, but she [now] looks 10 years younger from kicking the bread... which is not particularly good for many/most people, IMHO. Especially that made from the current hybrids, processed to death, and made into a near worthless food by the time it reaches "end product".

Where it also makes/made a big difference is; she has Type O blood, which Dr. D'Adamo says do very poorly eating wheat products. Unfortunately, he didn't mention Celiac in his "Eat Right 4 Your Type" book, or I'd known about this disease years ago. But then again, if I hadn't been eating less bread 'cause of his book, I might not be here at all!

:-)

GC

For all the education doctors have they aren't that smart, generally speaking I would rather see a veterinarian. Listening to your body is the best idea. The tests are not that good, I had to pressure the doctor to get them to do something in two instances this year. Getting better shouldn't have to be this difficult if doctors would listen. I have been gluten-free just over a month and many people see the difference and tell me how much better I look. I also feel better and my DH is cleared up unless I get exposed to wheat/gluten. On top of that so far I have lost 23 pounds.

My blood tests came back negative, but my WONDERFUL GI initially based my diagnosis on the fact that my period, which had disappeared for 3 years, finally returned after only a week on a gluten-free diet. Later, my endoscopy proved it, but only because my mother insisted I have it done :blink: . Listen to your body.

Nadia