This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sorghum flour caused gluten reaction

kanucme2019

kanucme2019 Apprentice

Been gluten free for four months now because of wheat sensitivity.  Had a surprise reaction to gluten free pancake mix that contained sorghum flour.  Full blown gluten stomach reactions.  Had stomach pain, bloating, sharp pain in the intestine and diarrhea.  Pain started that evening and lasted for several hours. I checked everything that I ate that day and the pancake mix was the only thing that was new to me.  Did some research on this site and found that some gluten free people cannot eat this flour either.  I am fortunate that all the gluten free products that I have been stocking up did not have this flour in it.  I now verify if this ingredients is in anything I buy.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

No sorghum is naturally gluten free.  If it was in a pancake mix that was labeled gluten free, the gluten content should be less than 20 ppm and safe to eat.  The company took the steps to insure the sorghum flour was not cross contaminated.  Was the pancake mix certified?  That is even safer.  

Chances are you might have an intolerance to sorghum products.  Just like I can not consume garlic.  But it is not a celiac disease reaction.  It could also have some bacteria in it and you suffered from food poisoning.  Recalls often occur with even regular wheat flour due to salmonella, e. Coli, etc.  like this recent one from General Mills Gold Metal flour:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/general-mills-recalls-five-pound-bags-gold-medal-unbleached-all-purpose-flour

Listen to your body and do not eat this stuff.  Your body does not like it.  

kanucme2019 Apprentice
On 9/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, cyclinglady said:

No sorghum is naturally gluten free.  If it was in a pancake mix that was labeled gluten free, the gluten content should be less than 20 ppm and safe to eat.  The company took the steps to insure the sorghum flour was not cross contaminated.  Was the pancake mix certified?  That is even safer.  

Chances are you might have an intolerance to sorghum products.  Just like I can not consume garlic.  But it is not a celiac disease reaction.  It could also have some bacteria in it and you suffered from food poisoning.  Recalls often occur with even regular wheat flour due to salmonella, e. Coli, etc.  like this recent one from General Mills Gold Metal flour:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/general-mills-recalls-five-pound-bags-gold-medal-unbleached-all-purpose-flour

Listen to your body and do not eat this stuff.  Your body does not like it.  

Thanks for update.  I too cannot eat garlic so it makes sense that other foods could cause problem even if they are gluten free.  Right now I am going to stay away from sorghum products until my inside heals some more. 

GlennJ Newbie
On 9/24/2019 at 3:03 PM, kanucme2019 said:

Been gluten free for four months now because of wheat sensitivity.  Had a surprise reaction to gluten free pancake mix that contained sorghum flour... 

there are so many other foods that may cause intolerance because of gluten-sensitivity... there’s probably something else in the pancake mix that is affecting you.  here’s the most common..

cow’s milk

casein

casomorphin

American cheese

chocolate

rye

barley

kamut

spelt

yeast

oats

coffee.

Common foods often included on a gluten-free diet that one may be sensitive to that could cause continued inflammation include:  

sesame

rice

corn

potato

hemp

buckwheat

sorghum

millet

amarath

quinoa

tapioca.

Up to 82% of patients with celiac disease have antibodies to other foods including:

beef

sheep

egg

fructose

By comparison I read another article from this site that says:

“soy, dairy, wheat, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, and eggs. While others are less commonly known like corn, coffee, tomatoes, apples, citrus (orange, lemon, lime), chocolate, and even candida.”

A third research article’s list:

• Amaranth
  • Buckwheat
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Corn
  • Dairy, i.e. milk and cheese (alpha-casein, beta-casein, casomorphin, butyrophilin, whey protein)
  • Egg
  • Hemp
  • Millet
  • Oats
  • Potato
  • Rye
  • Rice
  • Sesame
  • Sorghum
  • Soy
  • Tapioca
  • Teff
  • Yeast....   so you see there are lots of possibilities you haven’t even considered. It’s frustrating. 
Sean Crawford Newbie

Welcome to a life of Science, you have won the food elimination lottery. At anytime you have a reaction, isolate it. I react with sinus problems and "Restless Leg Syndrome" to Xanthan gum, yet not Guar gum. If you want to know, eat pure sorhgum. No reaction, aha, it's something else. If you have a reaction? I hope you didn't like that product much.

Candida? SIBO? Systemic Candidiasis? Even Leaky gut Syndrome, that's a nightmare of a whole different animal and might be associated with MY Xanthan gum reaction.

Any other Anaphylactic Celiacs out there? I know of two of us that are still alive.

What about Celiacs with NF1? Neurofibromatosis? Please contact me, google DHNFCD, you will get only me, nobody else on this planet, or on the web is associated with those six letters.

If you had DH also? either NFCD or DHNFCD, please contact me,

• 11 months later...
JaneSwim Newbie

Hi Kanuc:

As a newly diagnosed celiac-type, I have been experimenting with various gluten free flours. I had a TERRIBLE reaction to the sorghum. In fact, it was way worse than wheat. Upon further review, I discovered the following article which explains that sorghum contains CYANIDE containing glycosides that can be absorbed depending on processing and growing conditions. I was using the sorghum to make a gluten-free sourdough bread, exposing it to a highly acidic and otherwise unpredictable environment. Here is the title of the article and link reference for those who might like to learn more about this topic:

REFERENCE TITLE:

Toxicity Potential of Cyanogenic Glycosides in Edible Plants

By Kumbukani K. Nyirenda

Submitted: October 25th 2019Reviewed: January 29th 2020Published: March 20th 2020

DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.91408

REFERENCE LINK:

https://www.intechopen.com/online-first/toxicity-potential-of-cyanogenic-glycosides-in-edible-plants

Scott Adams Grand Master

Sorghum is gluten-free and eat my millions of people ever day. This reminds me of how rice can be high in arsenic. I guess like most this you need to decide it you want it in your diet or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master

Cyanide destroys thiamine based enzymes that are necessary for the production of ATP (energy) in the human body.  

"Cyanide's main effect is that it inhibits oxidative phosphorylation, a process where oxygen is utilized for the production of essential cellular energy sources in the form of ATP. It does so by binding to the enzyme cytochrome C oxidase and blocks the mitochondrial transport chain. After that, cellular hypoxia and the depletion of ATP occur, leading to metabolic acidosis. The utilization of oxygen by the tissue occurs and is followed by the impairment of vital functions.[8][9]"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507796/

Vitamin B12 in the form of hydroxocobalamine will chelate cyanide and help remove it from the body.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/hydroxocobalamin

Replace lost thiamine with thiamine tetrhydrofurfuryl disulfide (TTFD)

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/ttfd-thiamine-derivative/

This form of thiamine will also chelate arsenic.

😸

• 1 month later...
marc9803 Apprentice

I read a book called, No Grain, No Pain, by Dr. Peter Osborne and he states that Sorghum and other grains are not gluten free. He argues that gluten is not a single protein found in a few grains; rather, it refers to a huge family of proteins-- and only one protein, gliadin, found in wheat, barley and rye has been extensively studied. Each grain has one or more types of gluten proteins. A recent study identified four hundred new forms of gluten-- forty of which were more damaging than the form of gluten, for which doctors most commonly tested. 

He further states that all grains contain gluten, including corn, which produces numerous intestinal and health problems for the gluten sensitive. 

He then shows a big table with all gluten in other grains and  mentions that sorghum's primary form of gluten is kafirin and has 52 gluten of the total percentage of protein. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

While I do believe that some people with celiac disease may also need to eat a grain free diet to fully recover, the vast majority do recover as evidenced by the regrowth of their villi and normalization of blood antibody tests while on a standard gluten-free diet that includes eating corn, sorghum, quinoa, GF oats, and other greens that are considered gluten-free. The problem with Osborne‘s opinion is that it’s not supported by science. You can argue that the science needs to be done, but many studies have been done while celiacs were eating those grains, and most celiacs do recover while eating them daily.

• 1 year later...
Rspyke Newbie

I'm another one of those that has major issues with sorghum flour. I start getting issues 20 minutes in and it ends with diarrhea some hours later. My mother told be how babies used to be given sorghum syrup if they were constipated, so apparently it has a laxative effect on week digestive systems. It sucks that 80% of the gluten free bread on the market uses it. Besides that and wheat, the only other stuff that affects me are dairy as well as corn and peas if I eat too many.

Beverage Rising Star

Could there have been any oat flour in the pancake mix?  I can only eat oats if they are purity protocol oats, not just gluten free, not just certified gluten free, purity protocol.  So I stay far away from any pre-made item or mix that has oats, but I do eat oats separately, like brand gluten-free Harvest, which are purity protocol.

• 2 weeks later...
Laetitia Newbie

Don't look for gluten, look for prolamin which is the major proteins that make up gluten . Gliadin is the prolamin in wheat. Zein is the prolamin in corn, hordein the prolamin in barley, kafirin is the prolamin in sorghum . Prolamin is the culprit. I no longer just look for gluten free labels. Instead, I Google the food to check if it contains prolamin. In genaral all grains, seeds contain prolamin, as well as certain tuber like potato. However, the percentage of prolamin  in potato is so low (4%) that I can eat one potato/day without symptoms. I react if I eat more than one.

Test the food if you want... See how you react, and trust your gut. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, do you have a link to back up this concept? I ask because you’ve mentioned grains that are clearly regarded as safe for those with celiac disease, for example sorghum. Potatoes have never been in question. Perhaps you are referring to people with celiac disease who have ongoing symptoms?

• 7 months later...
heatherzeye Newbie

I also have a gluten reaction or a celiac reaction to sorgham..

Although I secretly believe my celiac disease is actually a sensitivity to glycophytes because it's only the grains that are harvested using Roundup that I react to gluten-free oats set me off as well and a few others that are harvested with Roundup, but any of the ones that are not harvested with Roundup don't bother me at all and that's how I've come to this conclusion. I've seen many studies based on it, but if you're reacting to it, I would also avoid other gluten-free grains that are harvested with roundup. You can look that up in your country. What greens are harvested with roundup or what grains are what they call Roundup ready

Wheatwacked Veteran

You can be reacting to the Roundup independantly of your celiac disease.  If you really want to prove you don't have celiac disease, eliminate all Roundup contamination and do a gluten challenge with a safe source of gluten. While celiac can mimic hundreds of other symptoms it does not preclude other toxins and infectious diseases  and other diseases don't preclude celiac.

Studies have shown that glyphosate can have an impact on numerous systems of the body, including:

• Kidneys
  • Pancreatic system
  • Skin
  • Blood cells
  • Endocrine system
  • Metabolic pathways
  • Gut microbiome
  • Liver
Scott Adams Grand Master

I doubt your celiac disease, if it was properly diagnosed, would be triggered only by gluten crops where glycophytes was used on them. This would mean that you would be able to eat all organic wheat products without getting any reaction. If you have celiac disease, the reaction is due to the gluten.

heatherzeye Newbie
On 1/27/2023 at 4:29 PM, Scott Adams said:

I doubt your celiac disease, if it was properly diagnosed, would be triggered only by gluten crops where glycophytes was used on them. This would mean that you would be able to eat all organic wheat products without getting any reaction. If you have celiac disease, the reaction is due to the gluten.

All organic crops are round up ready. Do your research

Wheatwacked Veteran

"Organic farmers cannot use glyphosate at any point in food production, and their crops are highly regulated and monitored carefully during the certification process. If contamination from any chemical, including glyphosate, is present, organic farmers cannot sell that crop as certified organic.... The best way to ensure you are not consuming products sprayed with glyphosate is to buy certified organic. Organic farmers cannot use glyphosate at any point in food production, and their crops are highly regulated and monitored carefully during the certification process. If contamination from any chemical, including glyphosate, is present, organic farmers cannot sell that crop as certified organic." The best way to ensure you are not consuming products sprayed with glyphosate is to buy certified organic.