This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm New And Stupid!

ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn Newbie

I'm still trying to figure out how to get around on this board. It doesn't take much to confuse me! Here's my problem. The past year or so, I get kind of sick whenever I eat pasta, corn, peas, bread, etc. Last week, we went to Happy Hour at our local bar, and I had pizza and one bottle of beer. I was up all night, bloated, felt awful. Last night we had pizza here at home, no beer. I was up all night, AM STILL UP , it's 6am, feeling horribly bloated and uncomfortable. Is this celiac? I'm 54, and started having problems with wheat a couple of years ago. I used to be able to eat anything, anytime. What's going on here, I hate it!

I've read that as we get older, our stomachs lose some of the enzymes it needs to digest foods, so we start having problems. Thats not considered celiac is it?

Marilyn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

it sounds like you could have Celiac or a gluten intolerance. If you want to try for a firm diagnosis, find a Dr. that is extremely knowledgeable about Celiac. Continue to eat gluten if you are going to have testing done, as if you go gluten free, any test results will not be accurate. OR you could simply try the diet and see if it helps you if you don't want to mess with Dr.s. Keeping in mind that if you choose that route, you probably will not be able to get a firm dx of Celiac.

celiachap Apprentice

I'm still trying to figure out how to get around on this board. It doesn't take much to confuse me! Here's my problem. The past year or so, I get kind of sick whenever I eat pasta, corn, peas, bread, etc. Last week, we went to Happy Hour at our local bar, and I had pizza and one bottle of beer. I was up all night, bloated, felt awful. Last night we had pizza here at home, no beer. I was up all night, AM STILL UP , it's 6am, feeling horribly bloated and uncomfortable. Is this celiac? I'm 54, and started having problems with wheat a couple of years ago. I used to be able to eat anything, anytime. What's going on here, I hate it!

I've read that as we get older, our stomachs lose some of the enzymes it needs to digest foods, so we start having problems. Thats not considered celiac is it?Marilyn

It certainly could be celiac! There have been times in my life when I had what I described to people as a "Cast Iron Stomach", and I could eat anything (or so I thought) - and other times the complete opposite was true. I always had trouble with beer, though.

First, I think that you should try some Lactaid, or another Lactase Enzyme supplement. If I don't take them, I have problems, even though I am totally gluten free. I make gluten-free pizza - but I can't eat it more than once or twice a week becase the dairy in the cheeses gives me trouble, even with the lactase enzymes. Whether you have Celiac or not, the digestive enzymes for dairy may help until you find out more.

I also take other enzyme supplements, but that is because I don't know if my villi (in the small intestines) are 100% normal yet (if they ever were "normal", lol).

This sounds like you have a dairy intolerance - but don't rule out Celiac as being the root cause. I had many of your symptoms, and I could live with them for most of my life - but eventually it caught up with me and my digestive system went off the deep end - almost taking me with it.

Good luck, and feel free to keep us updated on your quest for a solution.

ssMarilyn Newbie

Thank you so much....I hadn't even thought about the dairy part of the pizza. Hmmmm......something else to consider now.

M :)

Lisa Mentor

M.

Just wanted to say that there are no stupid questions here so ask away.

It is obvious that you have a reaction to either wheat or cassin products. As stated before, if you choose to be tested continue as usual although painful to you.

If you choose to go gluten free, we can send you the Delfi Product List, that lists product by brand name and it is easier for you to shop for appropriate foods.

We all can get you started.

Let us know. Lisa

• 8 years later...
ssMarilyn Newbie

M.

Just wanted to say that there are no stupid questions here so ask away.

It is obvious that you have a reaction to either wheat or cassin products. As stated before, if you choose to be tested continue as usual although painful to you.

If you choose to go gluten free, we can send you the Delfi Product List, that lists product by brand name and it is easier for you to shop for appropriate foods.

We all can get you started.

Let us know. Lisa

I just now found this old thread from years ago. Lisa are you still there and do you have the product list?

kareng Grand Master

I just now found this old thread from years ago. Lisa are you still there and do you have the product list?

I don't know what list she is referring to - but you wouldn't want a list that is 8 years old.  Products change over time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Yeah, the best thing is to learn how to read labels. And it's a lot easier now than it was years ago. In the US, wheat MUST be listed on the ingredients label because it is one of the top eight allergens. Rye is pretty much only in rye bread. Barley is the only one you have to watch out for. Sometimes a product will contain malt but it won't say from barley. (Often it WILL say from barley because barley is expensive and companies want you to know they use expensive ingredients, but not always.) Oh yeah, and oats are usually contaminated unless they are marked certified gluten-free.

But if you're new to the diet you should be sticking to whole foods right now anyway - you know - meats, veggies, fruit, potatoes, rice. Processed foods are hard to digest with all the garbage they put into most of them. Give yourself time to heal. And DO go to the coping section here and read the Newbie 101 thread. It will give you a wealth of information about the diet and cross-contamination and so much more.

Archived