Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

I have just had a Gastroscopy to investigate heartburn and abdominal discomfort, the findings showed typical signs of coeliac disease, 4 biopsies were taken. I was told I will still need to continue to eat gluten every day for four weeks when I will have a blood test to confirm the diagnosis. Is a positive biopsy result enough evidence to enable me to start my gluten free diet more quickly?  I feel so unwell and would like to begin my recovery as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Well, listen to your doctors!  

I assume you had been gluten free or light prior to your endoscopy which visually showed damage.  By making you wait four weeks more, the antibodies tests (blood tests) should concur with the biopsy report.  Many things besides celiac disease can cause small intestinal damage.  The blood test will solidify the root cause.  

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/

On 1/14/2020 at 3:32 PM, cyclinglady said:

Well, listen to your doctors!  

I assume you had been gluten free or light prior to your endoscopy which visually showed damage.  By making you wait four weeks more, the antibodies tests (blood tests) should concur with the biopsy report.  Many things besides celiac disease can cause small intestinal damage.  The blood test will solidify the root cause.  

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/

Thanks for your reply, I had no idea I may be coeliac, I was eating a full gluten diet prior to the endoscopy, I was referred as they thought I may have an ulcer.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, cyclinglady said:

Hang in there!  If it becomes too unbearable to continue to consume gluten, let your doctors know, but a firm diagnosis can be a very good thing.  So many people go back to eating  gluten because they have doubts.  

Thank you for your reply, I thought a positive biopsy would confirm I had the disease as a blood test is usually done first I wondered if this would mean this wasn’t necessary.

3 hours ago, Gertie said:

Thanks for your reply, I had no idea I may be coeliac, I was eating a full gluten diet prior to the endoscopy, I was referred as they thought I may have an ulcer.

I am sorry.  I think we are not communicating well.  

Why are they making you stay on a gluten diet for four weeks after your endoscopy?   If you have always been eating gluten daily and have never gone gluten free, they should have been able to blood test you on the same day as your endoscopy or the next day if they forgot.   I assumed you had been gluten free or gluten light months up to the day of your endoscopy because all celiac disease testing requires you to be on a full gluten diet (about 8 weeks prior to blood testing or 2 weeks for intestinal biopsies).  

Something is not making sense.  Did you get your biopsy report yet from the pathologist?  

Edited by cyclinglady

20 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I am sorry.  I think we are communicating well.  

Why are they making you stay on a gluten diet for four weeks after your endoscopy?   If you have always been eating gluten daily and have never gone gluten free, they should have been able to blood test you on the same day as your endoscopy or the next day if they forgot.   I assumed you had been gluten free or gluten light months up to the day of your endoscopy because all celiac disease testing requires you to be on a full gluten diet (about 8 weeks prior to blood testing or 2 weeks for intestinal biopsies).  

Something is not making sense.  Did you get your biopsy report yet from the pathologist?  

No I don’t have the biopsy result yet but the gastroenterologist told me that she saw very typical signs of coeliac disease but as she was performing the procedure for an absent consultant I should continue to eat gluten until he reviewed me as he would want to perform some blood tests and organise a DEXA scan.

1 hour ago, Gertie said:

No I don’t have the biopsy result yet but the gastroenterologist told me that she saw very typical signs of coeliac disease but as she was performing the procedure for an absent consultant I should continue to eat gluten until he reviewed me as he would want to perform some blood tests and organise a DEXA scan.

Ok.  I am sorry you have to wait.  Perhaps, you can see if there are any cancellations.  You might be able to see the consultant sooner.  

Until you get the results back (or Dr. advises) you should continue to eat gluten. 

You can't visually DX Celiac during the EGD, it has to be done microscopically. 

If it comes back positive for Celiac that's as good a DX as you'll get.