• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

WGibs

Reese's Valentine Hearts Not gluten-free

Rate this topic

Hi all,

This is just a warning for candy-addicts like myself. The special Valentine hearts from Reese's contain wheat flour. It's clearly spelled out on the package, but I know I sometimes forget to check when something seems safe. I don't know about the mini Reese's cups in special holiday-colored wrappers, though. The ones I'm talking about are actually shaped like a heart, about the size of a Dove promise, and wrapped in pink and gold.

I am so glad that I randomly decided to check...

Bummer dude. Love the Reese cups.

I'm glad you decided to randomly check too. Thanks for the warning.

The Dove hearts, on the other hand, are gluten free and quite tasty.

Don't you love holidays invented by the candy companies? B)

The Dove hearts, on the other hand, are gluten free and quite tasty.

Don't you love holidays invented by the candy companies? B)

Yes, the Dove hearts are yummy. I did check the red and gold mini Reese's cups tonight at the store and they are still gluten-free (same as usual), so it's just the special hearts we have to avoid. In a way, it was okay, though, because a co-worker had brought them in and I asked if she still had the bag. She said sure, but obviously there's no gluten in them! Then I read the ingredients -- wheat flour -- and I think it was a realization for her that it's more than just avoiding things that look floury.

I love holidays that give me an excuse to buy candy!

By the way, Al, I picked up another box of Envirokidz animal cookies -- I think I have a problem! I did manage to make the last box last a whole week, though!

By the way, Al, I picked up another box of Envirokidz animal cookies -- I think I have a problem! I did manage to make the last box last a whole week, though!

They're AWESOME dipped in Nutella, as I discovered at breakfast this morning...

I'm such a pig sometimes!

There oughta be a law against that... that's why I now read EVERY label, EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

There really should- I totally agree! But while we are on the subject, does anyone know of any other holiday candies that we should watch out for? (i mean specifically those companies that sell candies that are gluten free all the time but then come out w/ special holiday packaging and they contain wheat). WGibs, thanks so much for posting that, as im sure i would have just eaten them w/o checking (im not as smart as luvs2eat)

They're AWESOME dipped in Nutella, as I discovered at breakfast this morning...

I'm such a pig sometimes!

Oh, man! Why do you tell me these things? My BF jokes with me sometimes when I have a junky snack or candy by asking "Would you like some peanut butter to dip that in?" Nutella! Al, I think you and I would get along great!

Now, I don't know yet how to put more than one quote in my message, but in response to mookie3 -- I'm not usually good about checking either! I glutened myself hard with Hershey's miniatures over Christmas -- because they are all run on the same lines and in the same molds, the malt flavoring from the Krackels gets into all of them. I also read something about the paste to keep the wrappers on in the miniatures assortment bags containing gluten. The package did list malt, but I just assumed that if I didn't eat the Krackels, I would be fine.

I think the solution, as painful as it can be, is to avoid those community candy dishes at the office, because you can never read the labels.

I pretty much only eat something if I've purchased it myself or verified for certain that it is gluten free. Because boy does it suck to get sick at work. And was it worth it? Not usually.

Keep your own stash in your desk and don't share! :D

Now, I don't know yet how to put more than one quote in my message, but in response to mookie3 -- I'm not usually good about checking either! I glutened myself hard with Hershey's miniatures over Christmas -- because they are all run on the same lines and in the same molds, the malt flavoring from the Krackels gets into all of them. I also read something about the paste to keep the wrappers on in the miniatures assortment bags containing gluten. The package did list malt, but I just assumed that if I didn't eat the Krackels, I would be fine.

I did the same thing! I was prepping for a trial at work and the attorney i was working with ALWAYS had the minis on her desk, so every time i went in there (which was like 50 times a day) i would grab one (or 5) :blink: but i kept getting sick and then found out the minis were no good! once i found out, she started setting aside the peanut butter M&Ms for me b/c i told her i could have them...they are so much yummier anyway!

Hi all,

This is just a warning for candy-addicts like myself. The special Valentine hearts from Reese's contain wheat flour. It's clearly spelled out on the package, but I know I sometimes forget to check when something seems safe. I don't know about the mini Reese's cups in special holiday-colored wrappers, though. The ones I'm talking about are actually shaped like a heart, about the size of a Dove promise, and wrapped in pink and gold.

I am so glad that I randomly decided to check...

I hope you aren't talking about the big heart shaped reese's peanut butter cup because I just got one from the poeple I babysit for. But I checked the label and it didn't say anything about wheat flour on it. If it's not the big ones than which one?

Guest jhmom

I am looking at a Reece's peanut butter hearts and there is NO wheat in them, they are gluten-free. I've had one as well as my daughter with no reaction at all. Maybe you are talking about something else but the regular size are OK.