This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Cookbooks

plantime

plantime Contributor

I can only afford one gluten-free cookbook, so I am asking for suggestions on which is best to get. I do not do gourmet cooking, so a basic one is what I need. Which is your favorite?

• 4 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

My new favorite cookbook is called "The AiA Gluten & Dairy Free Cookbook"compiled by Marilyn Le Breton. I recomend this book for anyone who has multiple intolerances and allergies. For each recipe it states what it is "free" of in addition to gluten and dairy.

There are recipes for things that are:

CF = Corn Free

EF = Egg Free

FF = Fruit Free

SF = Soy Free

SGF = Sugar Free

TF = Tomato Free

YF = Yeast Free

They also give you basic gluten-free cooking tips. gluten-free flour mix recipes for making all-purpose flour, all-purpose flour mix for baking, and self-rising flour. Also they give tips for conversions to use your old recipes and substitution guides for eggs, dairy and other things like syrups, spices, and how to make natural dyes for those allergic to dyes. And since the recipes are for the UK they also give a list of cooking terms and what is the US equivalents like: plain flour=all-purpose flour, biscuits=cookies and aubergine= eggplant, etc.

Some of the recipes are a bit gourmet, that I'm not sure my kids would like, but they might surprise me! This has the best pastry recipe I have found since going gluten-free! And the other recipes I have tried have worked great. I can't say that about very many cookbooks. <_<

God bless,

Mariann

Boojca Apprentice

I only have one, and it's Bette Hagman's gluten-free Gourmet Living Well without Wheat. It has some great recipes, and easy. The Tapioca Bread is the closest thing to "real" white sandwich bread ever!!!

Bridget

beelzebubble Contributor

this is my favorite gluten free cookbook. in fact, it is my favorite cookbook period.

Open Original Shared Link

it has lots of variety, i highly recommend it.

carrie

Guest Lindam

I love The Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg. I have tried many of her recipes, carott cake and the pound cake to name a few, and they are delicious. She mainly uses corn starch and potato starch for all of her recipes, and so far nothing has had that gritty taste.

Good Luck!

Guest PastorDave

If you think you can only afford one - try Ebay!!! I bought four gluten-free cookbooks for less than the price of one new one on ebay and love them all. Unfortunatly, I don't have enough time to use them all...

Dave's wife - Christina - have fun baking (all these new flours are great!)

Archived