This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

CC Kitchen and Roommates

Hank-Richter

Hank-Richter Newbie

Hey Guys!  I love this forum, full of really useful information.  I am new to the gluten free world and have just been diagnosed with celiac disease.  I live in a apartment with 2 other roommates that are not gluten free.  We share the kitchen, utensils, and various other pots and pans.  I try to keep my dishes, forks, etc as separate as possible but I was recently ‘glutened’ and I’m trying to figure out why. I have a suspicion that it was because my roommates were not careful while cleaning share kitchen supplies, or I’m paranoid, I’m not sure anymore. I can’t figure out if it was more likely from gluten CC from “gluten-free” foods, lack of attention to detail when doing the dishes, or some something else, or are they all likely to happen?
I really appreciate any feedback and have been really trying to educate myself by browsing this forum.  Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Cross contamination in your kitchen is certainly a possibility, but there are probably just too many variables for us to be able to figure it out. It’s also possible that gluten was in food you ate during that time.

I think the important thing for you is to move forward and try to make sure it doesn’t happen again rather than try to figure out how it happened. Be sure to explain to your roommates how important your diet is, and maybe create some protocols in your kitchen to protect yourself.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Many find they need their own set of cookware and labeling them so they do not get used for gluten (IE choosing certain colors or putting colored tape on jars of condiments and pan handles that are yours. But CC can come from many sources, crumbs on the counter that got on food being prepared, scratched pots/pans, wooden spoons, any flour used in the kitchen can go airborne for hours and does tend to settle on everything, people dipping into a condiment jar can get gluten residue/crumbs in it, shared toasters, etc.
Another trick people tend to do is keep all there gluten free products on the top shelf in cabinets, and the fridge to prevent CC issues. Others fix their own little prep station separate from everyone else. We have a Newbie 101 thread that has some good information in it although a bit outdated.

If your on a budget I might suggest getting your own set of Microwave Cookware like nordicware, grill plates with splatter covers, omelette cookers, rice cookers, and steam trays are very useful. Use butcher paper for a prep surface for very easy clean up and to prevent CC...I fell in love with this one and use it even when I live by myself as it makes cleaning up after much easier.

Hank-Richter Newbie

Thank you for the thoughtful responses!  I am going to talk the my roommates this week and will certainly look into buying my own color corded plates to help ensure this doesn't happen in the future.  Have you found, in your experiences, that some soaps or detergents work better at removing gluten from shared pans or appliances?  I am hopeful that my roommates will take better care when I explain to them my circumstances but I want to take all precautions possible.  Thanks in advance!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Are you using a dishwasher?  If not, keeping separate sponges (like one dedicated for gluten) for cleaning is recommended.  Pots and pans that are porous or could scratched (cast iron or non-stick) should not be shared as gluten can get into cracks and scratches and be hard to keep clean.  

My house is gluten free, but when visiting my family, I use toaster bags, have my own little non-stick pan and use parchment paper or foil as a barrier in the oven or grill.  I keep my stuff in a bin in case my family forgets and uses it while I am not there.  

docaz Collaborator

The results of this research paper might make your life a little easier.

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(19)41340-1/fulltext

cyclinglady Grand Master
12 hours ago, docaz said:

The results of this research paper might make your life a little easier.

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(19)41340-1/fulltext

A good start to researching something that has never been researched, but I personally am more cautious like the Gluten Free Watchdog.  More studies are needed.  

https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/gluten-free-watchdog-comment-on-the-recent-gluten-cross-contact-study-preparation-of-gluten-free-foods-alongside-gluten-containing-food-may-not-always-be-as-risky-for-celiac-patients-as-diet/

And this that quotes Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac disease researcher:

https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/blog/video-world-renowned-celiac-expert-urges-caution-after-cross-contamination-study/

Edited by cyclinglady

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

docaz Collaborator
6 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

A good start to researching something that has never been researched, but I personally am more cautious like the Gluten Free Watchdog.  More studies are needed.  

https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/gluten-free-watchdog-comment-on-the-recent-gluten-cross-contact-study-preparation-of-gluten-free-foods-alongside-gluten-containing-food-may-not-always-be-as-risky-for-celiac-patients-as-diet/

And this that quotes Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac disease researcher:

https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/blog/video-world-renowned-celiac-expert-urges-caution-after-cross-contamination-study/

I hope that there will be follow up studies to give a better understanding what is necessary and what is not. They should help staying safe but at the same time making lives as easy as possible. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
4 minutes ago, docaz said:

I hope that there will be follow up studies to give a better understanding what is necessary and what is not. They should help staying safe but at the same time making lives as easy as possible. 

I agree!  

Hank-Richter Newbie

Thank you everyone!  I have decided to a bit of research of my own and am starting to gather data from friends and family with celiac or other NCGS through a google poll.  Data so far is suggestive that people tend to have cross contamination problems especially when sharing kitchen supplies.  I would love to get more feedback from around the community.  Once we have more data we may be able to identify to some key problematic areas or household items that lead to CC that can be addressed with reasonable ease.  

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15-VSDL42CFTxukH0DuYl2QEtJ2Cm8Oi4OOjpPgj3aVI/edit