• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

wolfie

Fritos....i Read They Were gluten-free

Rate this topic

and that they are made on a dedicated line, yet I still reacted to them. Really odd too b/c my old symptoms before going gluten-free were mostly excessive gas, gas pain, bloating and this was more an extremely urgent need to go and loose stools (Sorry, TMI). It was within a half hour of eating the fritos, went twice and was then fine. I don't seem to have an issue with any other type of corn product either.

I have been gluten free for 4 weeks today and haven't really pinpointed any other time that I may have had or had a reaction to gluten or anything else. My main symptoms started to go away within 24 hours and while I still have some minor issues, there has been a HUGE improvement.

Bottom line, think I will stay clear of the Fritos.

Kim

Was it a special flavor of Fritos? Always read the labels. To pin point a reaction, is very difficult. The different variables of digestion can depend on how much liquid content, how much physical activity, the fat content of the food, and many other thing.

No matter what, the most important thing is to listen to your body. If you get sick after you eat Fritos, don't eat them. It just occured to me, was MSG one of the ingredients? You don't have to be Celiac to have a reaction to food ingredients, and many people have a hard time with MSG.

Laura

Yes, they were regular Fritos. Actually the Scoops. Ingredients are:

whole corn, corn oil and salt.

I guess it could be the fat content, but I don't normally follow an extremely low fat diet, so this amount of fat was not unusual for me.

hmm, wolfie, I don't know what to say! poor thing. my only additional thought is that since you have only been gluten-free for 4 weeks, you are probably still healing. I would eat very basic things and still get sick....I had cut out a bunch of stuff (which further confused me about gluten) and then once I was healed, I was fine. For me, I think my intestines were just so damaged that they couldnt fully digest everything. Maybe try it once you have been 100% gluten-free (no accidents, etc) for a longer time?

Sorry I can't be of more help-Hope you are having a great day!

Yes--I agree with Laura, at only 4 weeks gluten-free, you are still in the early healing stage. It just may be a bit too soon to try things like corn chips. Sticking to more basic, whole foods is a good idea for now. I know it's no fun! It's not unusual in the beginning to feel better, and then start to react to things again. Keep at it, it will get better :)

I think a lot of people early in their gluten free transition are really not ready for a lot of foods yet. I know I'm very sensitive to corn. I'm going to give it a good 6-12 months before I try it again.

Thanks guys.....maybe I will just give it some more time. I am really trying to follow a bland diet, but I feel like I eat the same thing over and over again......rice, chicken, beans.....LOL! I did just order a bread maker, so I hopefully can make some of my own bread and add that to my diet. I have tried some gluten-free bagels and love them, but they are $$.

Thanks guys.....maybe I will just give it some more time. I am really trying to follow a bland diet, but I feel like I eat the same thing over and over again......rice, chicken, beans.....LOL! I did just order a bread maker, so I hopefully can make some of my own bread and add that to my diet. I have tried some gluten-free bagels and love them, but they are $$.

so spice up those things - add some saffron and salt to the rice. or use arborio, add a bit of sugar and vanilla, and make rice pudding. steam the chicken and shred it into some water with carrots and onions. or barbecue it with garlic and olive oil rubbed in it. mix up the beans with some cumin and cayanne with an onion. or simmer with some molasses and tomato sauce and garlic. or mash and mix with sun dried tomatoes. and don't forget to add some fruit and veggies to that - red bell pepper and zucchini go well in the beans, peas and carrots and rice go well in rice, beets are good by themselves!

My husband reacts to reg. Fritos and the manufacturer that makes them, when contacted, said that there's no gluten in them, but they are produced in a plant that makes wheat products. Perhaps that's the issue: Cross contamination....

so spice up those things - add some saffron and salt to the rice. or use arborio, add a bit of sugar and vanilla, and make rice pudding. steam the chicken and shred it into some water with carrots and onions. or barbecue it with garlic and olive oil rubbed in it. mix up the beans with some cumin and cayanne with an onion. or simmer with some molasses and tomato sauce and garlic. or mash and mix with sun dried tomatoes. and don't forget to add some fruit and veggies to that - red bell pepper and zucchini go well in the beans, peas and carrots and rice go well in rice, beets are good by themselves!

Yum :D --to make rice pudding using the arborio rice, do you cook it as you would for risotto (adding liquid a cup at a time while stirring) but substitute water for the broth?

Yum :D --to make rice pudding using the arborio rice, do you cook it as you would for risotto (adding liquid a cup at a time while stirring) but substitute water for the broth?

one of my rice pudding recipes is on my "as promised, a few recipes" thread. but yeah, it's pretty much the same. I use almond milk instead of water, however, for a sweetness and vanilla flavor (in addition to whatever I add for additional flavor). generally speaking, I'll be more careful to stir more often (if only my kitchenAid mixer could heat as well as stir!) and use more liquid that with risotto, hence cooking it longer. I don't go by specific measured amounts, I go by consistency.