Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy4dolphins

Flour Mixes

HI, I spent a ton of time in the book store the other night reading the Gluten Bible book. I really thought of buying it. LOL SO, I'd like to get away from some of the starches for pancakes, breads, etc. What flour mixes do you use or reccomend?

Nicole

I use betty Hagman four bean mix the most as I can use it in all my old gluten recipes and I don't have to be a scientist and make changes. I use it the way I would use reg white flour. Also I have used Bob's Red Mill and also Mona's mixes which are also good. I'm sure there are many more to choose from..

mamaw

I also like Betty Hagmans. It is made by Authentic Foods. It is more expensive than if you buy all the flours and mix yourself but it is very convienent and tastes good. The only thing extra I do is to add 1/2 tsp or so of xantham gum to my recipe. It makes great tea bisciuts.

I've used Gluten Free Pantry mix and Pamela's mix and I have mixed my own. I have found that it depends on what I am making.

Right now I have a ton of Pamela's and so pancakes and etc are being made with that. Chebe is the only way I'll go for crackers and pizza crust.

I just bought some mix from my health food store.

It was called Good Eatz

It said Gluten Free Flour Mix #2

gluten-free, Casein, Lactose free.

anyone tried it.

It lists what flours are in it.

Do you just substitute say 1 cup for say the Hagmann flour

Judy in Philly

I'm not Susan :D but I do mix my own flours. I use equal amounts of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch/flour, corn starch, and tapioca starch for cookies and cakes. For pancakes, I leave out the potato.

Hi Judy

I'm not sure if you asked how we use ths betty hagman flour? But I just use my old gluten recipes and in place of wheat flour I use the four bean blend...I don't even add the xanthan gum. If the recipe looks a tad to thin I add a few more tbsp's to it but I usually don't have to. I do cookies and quick breads this way.....

Hope this is what you were asking..... I'm in western Pa. hoping to be in Philly within next few months.....

mamaw

I mix up my own flour using brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch with some xanthan gum. I use it cup for cup for all-purpose flour. It doesn't seem to be too popular here and I can't figure out why. I serve cookies, quick breads, waffles and pancakes made from this flour to my kids' friends at slumber parties and baseball games and they slurp them right up - kids who have never had gluten-free food in their lives. All of my baking is gluten-free and even my picky in-laws have to admit that my cookies taste great, finally. It took a lot of failures with rice flour to figure out that a mix was better. I found out about this mix from a Bette Hagman book about 3 years ago and my baking has been great since then. Sometmes I will buy a little bag of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Flour mix, but at $3.69 per bag (about 1-1/2 lbs) it's too expensive to use exclusively. I mix about 1 C of it with 2 C of my flour mix for a change sometimes and it works in pancakes (not well in waffles) and cookies. I haven't tried all-bean flour because I've been sensitive to beans in the past and don't want to overdo them.

I thought I'd ask this question here, with all the flour blend experts weighing in. I am sensitive to soy and tapioca flours. I do still use rice flour, just don't eat it every day. Does anyone know if a mix of rice flour, sorghum flour, and potato starch would work for all purpose baking? I've been thinking about trying it, but hate to buy the sorghum flour before I know if it'll work.

Liz ~ what were the proportions of your flour blend again? I wish I could use brown rice flour. <_<

Wonder if I could try your recipes subbing w/sorghum?

Patti ~ I am trying w/sorghum.... the only success I've had was Carol Fenster's banana muffins and her sandwich bread (made as muffins)... I did modify her blend to 1 1/2c. each of sorghum flour, potato starch and tapioca starch. Wonder if you could use corn starch as a tapioca sub?

Liz ~ what were the proportions of your flour blend again? I wish I could use brown rice flour. <_<

Wonder if I could try your recipes subbing w/sorghum?

I use 2 C Brown Rice Flour, 2/3 C Potato Starch, 1/3 C Tapioca Starch and 2 tsp. Xanthan gum. Sift at least 3 times. I usually make up 3-4 batches at a time and store in the refrigerator.

I don't know if it would work with sorghum flour, but I'm curious! If you have any luck, let me know. Will your daughter be off rice forever or for just a short time? My doctor said it's very rare to be sensitive to rice. I hope you'll be able to add that back for her sometime to make your lives a little more convenient.

The only mix I've tried is Pamela's bread mix, and I made it in my breadmaker that has a gluten-free setting (a convenient co-inkidink). I could build a brick colonial with that bread. I hate the texture, it looks normal, but once it is in my mouth the texture is like slimy hummus. Eww. I'm not sure I can get used to it, I'd rather have my tuna or pb&j on rice cakes. I haven't made the transition to gluten-free baking, I LOVE LOVE LOVE baking, but I'm still in mourning over my wheat flour :rolleyes:

Cheri,

I just got back from the store and looked at the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Pancake Mix. It had Potato starch, sorghum flour, tapioca starch and corn flour or starch. I'm pretty sure it was dairy and soy free too. But I thought of you because it didn't list rice. So maybe you CAN use sorghum to replace the rice flour. I haven't tried it, so I can't tell you how it tastes, but at least it might be something you can buy and try to duplicate the recipe yourself.

Cheri,

I just got back from the store and looked at the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Pancake Mix. It had Potato starch, sorghum flour, tapioca starch and corn flour or starch. I'm pretty sure it was dairy and soy free too. But I thought of you because it didn't list rice. So maybe you CAN use sorghum to replace the rice flour. I haven't tried it, so I can't tell you how it tastes, but at least it might be something you can buy and try to duplicate the recipe yourself.

We love these panckes! The bread is really good too. I love to cook, but hate baking, so Bob's mixes have been a life saver!

Guest nini

I use Orgran's All Purpose Flour Mix, they have a Self Rising All Purpose Flour Mix too. I love it... I can substitute measure for measure with most of my old recipes. (breads still require Xanthan gum though)

I use 2 C Brown Rice Flour, 2/3 C Potato Starch, 1/3 C Tapioca Starch and 2 tsp. Xanthan gum. Sift at least 3 times. I usually make up 3-4 batches at a time and store in the refrigerator.

I don't know if it would work with sorghum flour, but I'm curious! If you have any luck, let me know. Will your daughter be off rice forever or for just a short time? My doctor said it's very rare to be sensitive to rice. I hope you'll be able to add that back for her sometime to make your lives a little more convenient.

Thanks Liz ~ so you mix the xanthan gum directly into the mix? I have been adding a tsp. of it in every time I make something.

I am not sure about my dd and the rice ~ actually, in her blood test, the rice came up as slightly more allergic than the wheat?! It's crazy!!

I made her a pizza crust last night that she really liked. The recipe is from www.savorypalate.com I did sub sorghum flour for brown rice flour or garbanzo bean flour. Also subbed water for milk.

Cheri,

Thanks for thinking of me.... next time I'm there, I will look for that! Sounds like it would work for her.