Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coldandhardy

Gluten In Corn!

A while back I got really cealiac sick from eating pop corn purchased at a sporting event. It made me really sick. I remembered that 'corn gluten' futures are traded on the Chicago exchange. I once discussed this with an animal nutritionist who argued me to the ground that it is the same gluten (chemically) that is in wheat (both are members of the grass family).

Anyway it turned out that the pop corn likely had been treated with MSG and it was that that made me sick. I have eaten corn since without a problem.

Does anyone have an opinion on this one. Do some celiac people get sick from the gluten in corn also??

Corn gluten is vey different from the gluten that causes problems for celiacs. No corn product is a problem for celiacs, as least as far as gluten is concerned. There are some celiacs who have a problem with corn, just as there are some of us who have problems with soy, or other foods. Corn and rice are free from the protein that we know as gluten, even if there is a similarity in wording of some derivatives.

Corn gluten is not a problem as far as celiac goes. This is a scientific fact. Could be a separate problem, however. MSG is gluten-free.

richard

Although MSG is gluten-free but many people have allergies to it.

I am one of those that has a problem with CORN. My seizures all started back with popcorn and after 3 time in 4 years I stopped popcorn. This wa before I know I had celiac disease. I was able to tolerate corn chips and other forms of corn up until my over load of soy created my thyroid problem.

Corn is in almost everything, right down to our medications. If you are like I am you have to have a Compounding Doc make a RX special without corn.

Some of us with celiac disease have secondary food allergies also.

Alot of people react to MSG My wife ends up with a severe migraine the day following MSG ingestion.

I read somewhere that MSG in the USA is mostly gluten-free, however MSG manufactored in other countries may have gluten in it....

Also, popcorn at the movies or at a sporting event is laden with that fake yellow butter, which has dyes and maybe wheat derivatives. So it might not be the popcorn, but what's on it. Also, popcorn is generally much harder to digest than corn meal or corn flour.

As for your nutritionist friend, they may be "right" in a large-scale sense, but when you get down to basic molecular structure corn gluten is not the same. And that's what counts.

Sorry if I sound smug -- it's that kind of day!

I am one of those that has a problem with CORN. My seizures all started back with popcorn and after 3 time in 4 years I stopped popcorn. This wa before I know I had celiac disease. I was able to tolerate corn chips and other forms of corn up until my over load of soy created my thyroid problem.

Corn is in almost everything, right down to our medications. If you are like I am you have to have a Compounding Doc make a RX special without corn.

Some of us with celiac disease have secondary food allergies also.

Are you hypothyroid?

I was hyperactive personality my whole life.

When I came down with celiac disease my thyroid went into the HYPER mode. I grew a hot nodule. Then had RAI raditation treatment. It was too much for my system and it burned up my thyroid now I'm HYPO. I take thyroid medication. The regular tyyoid medication had CORN in it as a binder LEVOXYL. And the dies are cross contaminated with gluten I'm convinced... So I go to a compounding RX and made it for me free of the poison.

Some celiac's have a problem with corn too.

A while back I got really cealiac sick from eating pop corn purchased at a sporting event. It made me really sick. I remembered that 'corn gluten' futures are traded on the Chicago exchange. I once discussed this with an animal nutritionist who argued me to the ground that it is the same gluten (chemically) that is in wheat (both are members of the grass family).

Anyway it turned out that the pop corn likely had been treated with MSG and it was that that made me sick. I have eaten corn since without a problem.

Does anyone have an opinion on this one. Do some celiac people get sick from the gluten in corn also??

corn is about the only thing I CAN eat. I was wondering about the popcorn thing though like movie popcorn. I read on a celiac site that msg was to be avoided my celiac patients. I got really sick once before my diagnosis from eating donuts that may have had it, but then again... I have celiac.