Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
licorice108

barley grasses and oat grasses are gluten-free but for people with celiac disease why isnt it labled on packages

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I saw this dietician at a lecture who also has celiac disease and works for a major celiac disease center on the East Coast.  You can read her comments.  She does not recommend consuming these grasses (usually wheat and barley, but it could be applied to oat as well).  

https://nationalceliac.org/celiac-disease-questions/do-wheat-grass-and-barley-grass-contain-gluten/

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

I remember going to Jamba Juice a few years after I went gluten-free and having them tell me that adding a wheat grass shot to mine was fine because wheat grass is gluten-free. Then, when I watched them make it they grabbed some of the wheat grass growing in their little planters and cut if off but I noticed a couple of wheat kernel seeds mixed into the grass because I asked them to show me what was in their hand. This is when I decided to avoid anything with wheat grass, as the seeds/kernels can easily get mixed into the product.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com