Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

3 3
Sunitha

Coeliac and memory loss

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Untreated celiac disease can definitely lead to many nervous system issues. In some people it manifests as a brain/nerve disease, and we have many articles on this topic here:

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/ataxia-nerve-disease-neuropathy-brain-damage-and-celiac-disease/ 

and this article, although it's older, sums it up well:

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Yes. As mentioned above by admin it does. In my experience my short term memory got thrown off. Sometimes focus as well. Mind drifted more easily. I would have to turn around at end of block to check if I closed the garage door. I just left from. Our garage  repairman actually put in a delay for me last time he was out. I have to hit the garage door button twice to close. It helps me. 

That was a reoccurring problem I had when undiagnosed at my last home. Also, one that re occured at this home during and after my gluten challenge.

This is one example I can think of. My long term doesn't seem to struggle as much, but I am told my long term is very good from people who know me.

Join eNewsletter

Absolutely. I have this bad habit of talking to myself that started when I was a kid and never really stopped. I think it was my coping mechanism for the brain fog. I don't have short term memory loss but I got bullied a lot and thought I was crazy until I admitted that I talked to myself to someone and they were like "dude everyone does that, it's only crazy if someone answers"

Join eNewsletter

yes, I have experienced this - didn't realize I was compensating for my memory by tricking myself - like:  when I see this, i'm going to remember to bring the post office keys when I go out.

I still do it, but not as much.  writing stuff down helps, too.  lists help also, as long as you remember to take it with you!!  lolz  :D 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter