Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

4 4
Coldste

Should I get tested for Celiac ?

Rate this topic

Sorry if this isn’t the write forum it seemed most appropriate. 

So my dad has been diagnosed as Celiac, and his doctor said that if he has any children they should get tested. He’s got 2 me I’m two years older than my sister both in our twenties. Should we get tested? 
The reason I ask is because in May 2019 I had a UTI infection and my doctor ordered a blood test. Out of the things that the blood tests where looking for was Celiac disease since I had similar symptoms. Thankfully everything came back clear.

So is it worth me getting tested again only my way of looking at it is if I had that gene then the blood test would have picked it up even if it’s still dormant 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Did your doctor do the gene test?  Or did they do the ttg screening test?

The gene test does not diagnose celiac disease.  It does tell you if you have the genes that can cause it.  But around 30% of people have those genes and only 1% get celiac disease.

The ttg blood antibodies test is accurate for many people.  But it doesn't catch all cases of celiac disease.  There are more complete antibody tests sometimes called a celiac panel.  It checks more types of antibodies then the ttg screening test.

Celiac disease can appear at any point in life or at none.  Sometimes initial symptoms are digestion oriented but other times they are something else.  Like skin rashes, joint pain, hair loss, insomnia, nuerological issues, reproductive issues etc.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are also possible.

Getting tested every few years might be wise.  But definitely if you develop sustained digestive issues for a few months.

Edited by GFinDC

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

5 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Did your doctor do the gene test?  Or did they do the ttg screening test?

The gene test does not diagnose celiac disease.  It does tell you if you have the genes that can cause it.  But around 30% of people have those genes and only 1% get celiac disease.

The ttg blood antibodies test is accurate for many people.  But it doesn't catch all cases of celiac disease.  There are more complete antibody tests sometimes called a celiac panel.  It checks more types of antibodies then the ttg screening test.

Celiac disease can appear at any point in life or at none.  Sometimes initial symptoms are digestion oriented but other times they are something else.  Like skin rashes, joint pain, hair loss, insomnia, nuerological issues, reproductive issues etc.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are also possible.

Getting tested every few years might be wise.  But definitely if you develop sustained digestive issues for a few months.

Cheers for the info, when I went back to the doctors, all he said was all your blood tests came back clear. Think it might have been a screening because he was looking for other things diabetes being one of them. Might go back and see him when this coivd is over 

Join eNewsletter

While you tested negative now, know that celiac disease can develop at anytime.  A recent Mayo Clinic study found that 44% of first degree relatives had celiac disease and about 80% had no symptoms at all.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-study-calls-for-screening-of-family-members-of-celiac-disease-patients/

My kid has been screened twice.  She will continue to get tested every few years, even if she has no symptoms.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

53 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

While you tested negative now, know that celiac disease can develop at anytime.  A recent Mayo Clinic study found that 44% of first degree relatives had celiac disease and about 80% had no symptoms at all.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-study-calls-for-screening-of-family-members-of-celiac-disease-patients/

My kid has been screened twice.  She will continue to get tested every few years, even if she has no symptoms.  

Thanks for the advice and info, I’ll probably wait until things get some way back to normal then make a doctors appointment better to be safe than sorry 

Join eNewsletter