Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Does anyone ever have tingling/heaviness in their arms due to this?  I have not been diagnosed, but for the past 5 or so years have had such frequent diarrhea that docs can't seem to explain, so I am looking at all options.  I will go pretty much as soon as I eat. Sometimes in the middle of a meal, or up to 30 minutes plus several times in between.  It's at least ten times a day.  I don't usually have pain associated with it.  Maybe if I have taken a lomotil or similar pain can occur. I am not losing any weight, which I guess is why the doctors don't seem to be too concerned.   Anyway, another symptom that is getting worse is a heavy feeling in my arms.  It's is a tingling that starts in one spot and migrates through my arms to where I just have to sit there for a minute and let it pass.  I cannot pick up my arms as they feel they weigh 1000 lbs during these episodes.  This will happen once a week or so just out of the blew.  I have not attributed that to eating anything.  I am on anxiety meds which I have been attributing the diarrhea to, but it is getting worse.  Also on small dose blood pressure meds.  No one seems to understand the heavy arm felling I experience so just searching for someone who can relate.  

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you suspect celiac disease, ask for a simple blood test.  You may be able to do this on your own, depending on where you live.  You can not go by symptoms because there are over 200 for celiac disease and these often overlap with all kinds of other illnesses.    Learn more about the tests:

https://celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/screening-and-diagnosis/screening/

please get tested!  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Definitely get a blood test if you can, and if you have gluten sensitivity or celiac disease it can manifest it’s symptoms in your gut, skin or brain/nervous system. Tingling is, among other possibilities, a symptom of gluten ataxia, which is caused when you are in the group where your nervous system is affected by gluten. More articles on this topic are here:

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/ataxia-nerve-disease-neuropathy-brain-damage-and-celiac-disease/

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

I had gi issues my whole life. I was not diagnosed properly for decades. I began to lose feeling in my big toes then I would lose feeling (numb) in my upper left arm. I could lift my arms though. 

It is frustrating some Dr s may only associate Celiac with weight loss. We don't all fit in that box. My cousin lost weight as a symptom. She had marsh grade damage. I swell , inflame, bloat, as a long misdiagnosed adult. I spent years taking probiotics before they became mainstream/retail ( through Dr only starting in my 20s) to try to manage whatever I had. I have more nerve and  skin issues in addition to my gi. My cousin and I were both missed far too long.

Is your Dr willing to give a celiac panel? Worth ruling in or out. 

Good luck

Join eNewsletter