This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss/Muscle Wasting on gluten-free Diet

Kate333

DJFL77I Experienced

that sounds like a lot of them to take .  Then what did you do after the 3 days?

Can I just try the b 50 with Magnesium...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Kate,

There are a few things to consider about your antibodies still being elevated.

You may be consuming a small amount of gluten on an ongoing basis and not realize it.

You may have a determined immune system that is not going to power down right away.

Going back to a very basic diet may help.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
7 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

I had Casal's necklace which was mistaken for syphilis.  And despite a negative on the syphilis test, no other explanation was given me by that office. I

Wow.This is heartbreaking.💔

knitty kitty Grand Master
15 minutes ago, DJFL77I said:

Then what did you do after the 3 days?

Can I just try the b 50 with Magnesium 

I felt so much better taking the high dose thiamine, but after three days my brain function didn't seem to be improving as dramatically.  I had reached a plateau.  I no longer needed as much.  I cut down on the amount I was taking slowly. When I didn't feel as bright, I took a little more.

Every one is different.  You might have improvement for more than three days.  It depends on how deficient your body is and what makes you feel better.  

Taking the B50 and magnesium is a good place to start.  

I was taking the high doses of thiamine because I had read that the transporters that allow thiamine into the cells shut down when there's a thiamine deficiency.  Sort of like a doorman not allowing anybody in or out of a building.  In order to get the thiamine transporters to work again, there has to be lots and lots of thiamine.  Sort of like an angry mob banging on the doors of that building trying to get in.  It takes about three days for high doses of thiamine to turn the transporters back on.  The doors open.  Once the transporters are working again the thiamine doses can be lowered.  A similar thing happens with niacin.  

If you take just the B-50 complex, there's not enough thiamine or niacin in there to do what I described above.   

27 minutes ago, DJFL77I said:

Then what did you do after the 3 days?

Can I just try the b 50 with Magnesium 

Thanks for your sympathy. 😿

Casal's necklace in syphilis occurs towards the shoulders. 

Casal's necklace in Pellagra occurs on the areas of the neck exposed to sunlight.  In Pellagra, any skin exposed to sunlight  becomes photosensitive, becoming more pigmented and scaly skin develops.  Neck, face, arms, feet.  

I have a hand print on my arm where I rested my hand while my arm rested on the window sill of my dad's truck while he drove me to a doctor appointment.  The pigmentation is permanent.  The scars from the scaling is permanent.  

Google Images for "pellagra rash" .  

Yeah, I'm a mess.

31 minutes ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Wow.This is heartbreaking.💔

Posterboy Mentor
7 hours ago, DJFL77I said:

that sounds like a lot of them to take .  Then what did you do after the 3 days?

DJ,

You can take just the B-50 and Magnesium.....but be sure to take it 2x to 3x with meals.

The best B-1 form is one of the Fat Soluble forms Knitty Kitty already mentioned...

So take your B-complex (Enzymic is better) and a Magnesium either as a Glycinate (anytime including bedtime) or a Magnesium Citrate with meals and one of the Fat Soluble B-1s like Benfotamaine.....

And try to find a Enzymic with the ThiamineHCL form....it has a better absorption profile than the Mononitrate often found in cheaper B-complexs...

And you should notice a noticeable difference in 3 to 4 weeks and a sustained difference in 3 to 4 months....

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
7 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Taking the B50 and magnesium is a good place to start.  

I was taking the high doses of thiamine because I had read that the transporters that allow thiamine into the cells shut down when there's a thiamine deficiency.  Sort of like a doorman not allowing anybody in or out of a building.  In order to get the thiamine transporters to work again, there has to be lots and lots of thiamine.  Sort of like an angry mob banging on the doors of that building trying to get in.  It takes about three days for high doses of thiamine to turn the transporters back on.  The doors open.  Once the transporters are working again the thiamine doses can be lowered.  A similar thing happens with niacin.  

If you take just the B-50 complex, there's not enough thiamine or niacin in there to do what I described above. 

To All Et Al,

This study on ThiamineHCL confirms what Knitty Kitty was saying....

This is just the abstract entitled "Pharmacokinetics of High-Dose Oral Thiamine Hydrochloride in Healthy Subjects"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22305197/

See figure One....the Thiamine blood levels didn't go up significantly for ThiamineHCL until it went over 500 milligram a day...so taking a fat soluble B-1 like Benfotamine with meals should allow your Thiamine levels to stay elevated long enough to do some good...

IE most B-complex's don't have enough B-1 to make a significant difference and why taking a fat Soluble B-1 with your B-complex's is important.....and especially with Magnesium Glycinate again anytime or with Magnesium Citrate with meals as a Co-factor to help the body convert it (thiamine) to it's active form in the body.

Posterboy,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thank, PosterBoy!

Thanks for the link!  You always have the best links and additional input!

Much appreciated!

Knitty Kitty

Kate333 Rising Star

Thanks for everyone's great comments, links, and insight!!....

But could we PLEASE close this thread now??  I am pretty overwhelmed by all the back and forth comments/discussions, info, tons of emails showing up in my inbox.  It will take me DAYS to read through it all!!😵

Thanks,

Kate

DJFL77I Experienced

my Dr wants me to take a multi vitamin with iron...   so i found this:    https://www.riteaid.com/shop/nature-made-multi-complete-with-iron-tablets-130-tablets-0352985?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ZX4BRDmARIsAFYh7ZKMcKhirAsxBMIVsLLFFv0L8rQartuhx4C5Fnd0xUAsmB5U6gvn7TIaAmrcEALw_wcB

it also has magnesium in there.. 100mg    should i still take magnesium separately before a meal and the b-50  ?

Posterboy Mentor
21 hours ago, Kate333 said:

But could we PLEASE close this thread now??  I am pretty overwhelmed by all the back and forth comments/discussions, info, tons of emails showing up in my inbox.  It will take me DAYS to read through it all!!😵

Thanks,

Kate

Kate333,

You can always uncheck the notify button....I have done the same thing myself....(if a thread gets too busy)

Their were a lot of reply's yesterday....but it will probably slow down now....

That said I am going to answer DJ's questions on Vitamin/supplements now....maybe it will help you too when you get a chance to "catch" up on this thread again...

Knitty Kitty had a lot to say....I tend to be a little too long.....so my next reply will be a little long because I don't currently know when I might get back....

Each to his own style.....but I like to answer as many questions as possible in one reply....in case I can't make it back for awhile......which can make my reply's too long to read for some...but as Knitty Kitty said she had a lot of ground cover.....

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
12 hours ago, DJFL77I said:

my Dr wants me to take a multi vitamin with iron...   so i found this:    https://www.riteaid.com/shop/nature-made-multi-complete-with-iron-tablets-130-tablets-0352985?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ZX4BRDmARIsAFYh7ZKMcKhirAsxBMIVsLLFFv0L8rQartuhx4C5Fnd0xUAsmB5U6gvn7TIaAmrcEALw_wcB

it also has magnesium in there.. 100mg    should i still take magnesium separately before a meal and the b-50  ?

And your comment "I just want B1, B3, and the Magnesium guess"

DJ,

I looked at your label.....and the form of magnesium was oxide.....a poorly available form....so you are not getting much Magnesium or Thiamine from this supplement....it was Thiamine mononitrate both with low absorbability...

So yes find a separate Magnesium Glycinate and Benfotiamine taken with meals and it will help you along with this Multivitamin....

these multi-----is not nearly as good as it sounds....

If you have ever taken Magnesium you will know why this..this mutli has only a 1/4 of your RDA of magnesium as an example....

Magnesium are honking big pills.....you would have to take 4 pills just to get the minimum RDA of Magnesium alone.....and with oxides....that might only be 30pct or less of it absorbed...

Also low or no stomach acid is a common cause of Iron deficiency...and until you address that even taking a good iron supplement might not help.

see this research entitled "Is Achlorhydria a Cause of Iron Deficiency Anemia?" and the answer was yes!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25994564/

This goes for Magnesium as well and why it is good to supplement with it...

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
Just now, Posterboy said:

And your comment "I just want B1, B3, and the Magnesium guess"

DJ,

I couldn't answer  your B-complex question in one reply.

Yes B1, B3, and Magnesium is critical to good health but also B-2 aka Riboflavin is important as well and why it is easier to find a good enzymic B-Vitamin.

One of the reason's B-complex's should be taken together is they work synergistically together....

See this medical news today article that explains why this is...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/219561

quoting

Vitamin B2 is essential for:

Maintaining the mucous membranes in the digestive system

Maintaining a healthy liver

Converting tryptophan into niacin, an amino acid

Keeping the eyes, nerves, muscles and skin healthy

Absorbing and activating iron, folic acid, and vitamins B1, B3 and B6

Hormone production by the adrenal glands

Preventing the development of cataracts

Fetal development, especially in areas where vitamin deficiency is common

Some research suggests that vitamin B2 may help prevent cataracts and migraine headache, but further studies are needed to confirm this.

Other studies have found that in children with autism, supplements of vitamins B2, B6, and magnesium appear to reduce the levels of abnormal organic acids in the urine"

And this Riboflavin/B2 also could be contributing to your iron issues...

Read these Posterboy blog posts and I think they will help you....

I ironically wrote these Posterboy blog post(s) so I wouldn't have to type toooooooo much....but sometimes it is necessary no matter what you do!

This one will show you why FREQUENCY is more important than the amount of your B-Vitamin....it written from the perspective of Niacinamide (the flush free form of Niacin) but it true too for B-1 and B-2 (Riboflavin)...

We eat two to three times a day right?

And this one shows how many Celiac's are low in Micronutrients and the doctor's don't know to check our Vitamin status' ......

try and read the comments I think it will  help you.

These are my lesson's learned from supplementing and I have tried faithfully to pass on to other's that are interested...

You will probably notice an improvement in energy and fatigue and lessened muscle cramps in 3 to 4 weeks with the Magnesium Glycinate (good for night time sleeping) alone or Magnesium Citrate (but always with meals)....I know I did!

Knitty Kitty has given you good advise.....take these (Benfotiamine) and a good Enzymic B-complex and Magnesium Glycinate with meals and you will be surprised how much better you feel in 3 months!

A sign of a higher quality B-complex is one with ThiamineHCL in it which has higher availability....

Again I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

2 Corinthians (KJV) 1:3,4 3) “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;  4) who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble (fellow sufferer), by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.”

As always, 2 Timothy 2:7  “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things”

Posterboy by the grace of God,

GFinDC Veteran
On 7/7/2020 at 8:35 PM, Kate333 said:

Thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate,

If you click the red or green follow circle you can change the notification preferences.  Setting notifications to once a day or once a week should cut down on the emails.

Edited by GFinDC
Posterboy Mentor
On 7/7/2020 at 9:38 AM, DJFL77I said:

DJ et Al,

This shows how B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), B3 (Niacinamide) work synergistically to down regulate inflammation in the body (or at least in mammals)

It is new research so it will take years for the medical community to incorporate this the latest fascinating finding(s) on how our B-Vitamins help down regulate inflammation in our body.

But you can benefit by taking an Enzymic B-complex either a B-50 or B-100 with meals now and Magnesium Glycinate now....until more studies prove that indeed B-Vitamins indeed help us with inflammation.

Entitled "Vitamin B Combination (B1, B2, B3) Reduces Fluconazole Toxicity in Wistar Rats"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30903555/

They will say more test will need to be done in humans before this can be proven while people continue to suffer...

Despite additional research a couple years before this latest research already showing this effect in humans...

entitled "Vitamin B diminishes effects of air pollution-induced cardiovascular disease"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170412111211.htm

Posterboy,