Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

I'm 43 and I bought a box if cinnamon chex cereal. Gluten free  although I didn't notice that at all. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Anyways I ate a bowl. Very small bowl and about I don't know a hour later my stomach started to hurt. The kind of hurt that you need to go to the bathroom but can't and it's a constant repeating thing for hours till it finally comes out. I felt relief and another 30 mins go by and I had diarrhea. Which lasted about a little over a hour. Has any one had this happen? Am I allergic to cinnamon? Is it the cereal. I thought gluten free is supposed to be good for you. I always read people ask questions online is the product gluten free. I have also had the same thing occur when I eat cream of rice and add cinnamon. Anyone have any ideas to why this occurs? It's one of the worst experiences ever. I literally rocked back and forth and side to side side holding my stomach hoping it would come out and broke my toilet seat. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Several possibilities:

1. You are allergic to cinnamon.

2. The cinnamon is not gluten free. It is not uncommon for seasonings and spices to use wheat as a substrate or texturing agent or to be processed on equipment that also processes gluten containing grains, such that there is cross contamination. This can be a real issue with some people who have celiac disease. Other celiacs are less sensitive and are seemingly not bothered by the ingestion of trace amounts of gluten from cross contamination. Some other forum members can give some guidance in purchasing truly gluten-free spices and seasonings. 

3. The chex cereal may not have gluten as an intentional ingredient but could not be truly gluten free because of cross contamination. Recently, we had another form member who believed they were "glutened" from chex cereal that was labeled gluten-free. "Gluten Free" is not necessarily the same as "Certified Gluten Free".

4. The cream of rice cereal is not gluten-free because of cross contamination in production, transport, storage or processing.

Edited by trents

7 hours ago, trents said:

Several possibilities:

1. You are allergic to cinnamon.

2. The cinnamon is not gluten free. It is not uncommon for seasonings and spices to use wheat as a substrate or texturing agent or to be processed on equipment that also processes gluten containing grains, such that there is cross contamination. This can be a real issue with some people who have celiac disease. Other celiacs are less sensitive and are seemingly not bothered by the ingestion of trace amounts of gluten from cross contamination. Some other forum members can give some guidance in purchasing truly gluten-free spices and seasonings. 

3. The chex cereal may not have gluten as an intentional ingredient but could not be truly gluten free because of cross contamination. Recently, we had another form member who believed they were "glutened" from chex cereal that was labeled gluten-free. "Gluten Free" is not necessarily the same as "Certified Gluten Free".

4. The cream of rice cereal is not gluten-free because of cross contamination in production, transport, storage or processing.

Well I'm confused then on the cream of rice cause it says it is and a proud sponsor of Celiac disease foundation. My mom asked me do I get sick when I drink egg nog and put cinnamon on it and I don't.  So I don't know what my issue is. I thought I would feel better by now it's been a full 24 hours but I don't. 

My son thought it was funny too. 🤦🏼‍♀️🚽🤣Now I gotta get a new seat. Smh lol that was horrible though. Him and I can eat the exact stuff and I always get sick. 

21 hours ago, Sonique said:

I'm 43 and I bought a box if cinnamon chex cereal. Gluten free  although I didn't notice that at all. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Anyways I ate a bowl. Very small bowl and about I don't know a hour later my stomach started to hurt. The kind of hurt that you need to go to the bathroom but can't and it's a constant repeating thing for hours till it finally comes out. I felt relief and another 30 mins go by and I had diarrhea. Which lasted about a little over a hour. Has any one had this happen? Am I allergic to cinnamon? Is it the cereal. I thought gluten free is supposed to be good for you. I always read people ask questions online is the product gluten free. I have also had the same thing occur when I eat cream of rice and add cinnamon. Anyone have any ideas to why this occurs? It's one of the worst experiences ever. I literally rocked back and forth and side to side side holding my stomach hoping it would come out and broke my toilet seat. 

Why did you go gluten free?  Are you diagnosed with celiac disease or suspect a sensitivity?  It sounds like you might be allergic or have an intolerance to rice, especially if you react to Cream of Rice.  Try cooking plain rice and see if you react.  

Other things to consider is that  you might have food poisoning.  And even though we are in a pandemic, there are still plenty of bugs (virus/bacteria)  or illnesses around that could cause gastrointestinal distress.  

Gluten free does not mean healthy.  It means it does not contain wheat, barley and rye.  Those three grains  cause  problems for those who have celiac disease or a Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

I didn't know I bought gluten free  chex and the cream of rice I've always had a box in my house ever since a kid. I don't know anything about gluten free and I when I got sick I was trying to figure out why. But that chex was the only thing I ate  I got all my teeth pulled 4 days ago. I tried that to kind of just suck down because it gets soggy fast and I was tired of jello pudding instant potatoes. I'm going to email my Dr and see what he says. I just was googling for answers the other day and came across this website.  

See your doctor.  It sounds like it is related to your tooth extractions.  Take care.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Hey Sonique! It sounds like you have some food sensitivities, either to food preservatives in the cereal, gluten, rice, cinnamon, or the kind of milk you used with cereal (if any). It sounds like your diet has been limited lately, and I have found in my experience, this is when my symptoms to food sensitivities become more apparent. When you remove things for a period of time and have them again without the compounding factors of other foods, it becomes more apparent that something is making you sick! I’m not very disciplined about it myself, but keeping a journal of what you eat can be helpful. These experiences help us find more information about how our bodies work, and though it is stressful in the process, in the end it makes better. Eating things that make us sick have a big impact on many areas of our body, and I don’t know your case specifics, but I believe that undiagnosed celiac as a child has left a lot of repercussions for me as an adult- including dental problems from a young age. Again, I know this isn’t about the dental stuff, but just watch what you eat and try to track the specific things that make you feel bad, it might be more than one thing.