This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Found this list of symptoms for Lyme...of course so many other things have these same symptoms...its hard to know....thats why ruling stuff in or out is about all I can do.

Highlighting the symptoms I've had....

Symptoms of Lyme Disease

The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash)

Rash at site of bite

Rashes on other parts of your body

Rash basically circular and spreading out (or generalized)

Raised rash, disappearing and recurring

Head, Face, Neck

Unexplained hair loss

Headache, mild or severe, Seizures

Pressure in Head, White Matter Lesions in Head (MRI)

Twitching of facial or other muscles

Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)

Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing Stiff or painful neck Jaw pain or stiffness

Dental problems (unexplained)

Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem ), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision

Double or blurry vision Increased floating spots

Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes

Oversensitivity to light

Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing

Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears

Buzzing in ears

Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds

Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

Diarrhea

Constipation Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis

Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome

Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow

Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough

Chest pain or rib soreness

Night sweats or unexplained chills

Heart palpitations or extra beats

Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

Tremors or unexplained shaking

Burning or stabbing sensations in the body

Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis

Pressure in the head

Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks

Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking

Increased motion sickness

Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder

Unusual depression

Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)

Feeling as if you are losing your mind

Over-emotional reactions, crying easily

Too much sleep, or insomnia

Difficulty falling or staying asleep

Narcolepsy, sleep apnea

Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

Memory loss (short or long term)

Confusion, difficulty in thinking

Difficulty with concentration or reading

Going to the wrong place

Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)

Stammering speech

Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

Loss of sex drive

Sexual dysfunction

Unexplained menstral pain, irregularity

Unexplained breast pain, discharge

Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

Unexplained weight gain, loss Extreme fatigue

Swollen glands/lymph nodes

Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)

Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)

Symptoms seem to change, come and go

Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts

Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.

Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities

Increased affect from alcohol and possible worse hangover

OK....kinda looks like I've had alot of symptoms. :blink:

I did have all of them back when I was on disability but changing my diet and avoiding chemicals seemed to take alot of stress off my immune system and I dont have every highlighted symptom anymore. I dont know if doing this could improve symptoms of Lymes though. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green12 Enthusiast

I can identify with most everything on this list of symptoms as well.

Do you happen to have a list of symptoms for mercury poisoning/toxicity? I would be curious to know if there are similarities.

Hi Susie Q :D:D it's so good to see you again in the OMG thread!

AndreaB Contributor

Mercury/Toxic Metal Sensitivity Questionnaire

This questionnaire should serve as a warning/alert to persons scoring "yes" in five or more of the questions below.

1. Have you had sore gums (gingivitis) often over

the years? Yes

No

2. Have you had mental symptoms such as

confusion, forgetfulness? Yes

No

3. Has severe depression been a frequent

problem? Yes

No

4. Has ringing in the ears (tinnitus) been present? Yes

No

5. Have TMJ (temoral mandibular joint)

problems been a concern of yours? Yes

No

6. Have you had unusual shakiness (tremors) of

your hands and arms or twitching of other

muscles? Yes

No

7. Do you have "brown spots" or "age spots"

under your eyes or elsewhere in the skin of

your body? Yes

No

8. Have you tended to have more colds, flu, and

other examples of infectious diseases than

"normal"? Yes

No

9. Have you had food allergies or intolerance? Yes

No

10.Have you been to many doctors for your

health problems and they have usually said

"There is nothing wrong"? Yes

No

11.Do you have numbness or burning sensations

in your mouth or gums? Yes

No

12.Do you have numbness or unexplained tingling

in your arms or legs? Yes

No

13.Have you developed difficulty in walking

(ataxia) over the years? Yes

No

14.Do you have 10 or more "silver" fillings? Yes

No

15.Do you often have a "metallic" taste in your

mouth? Yes

No

16.Have you ever worked as a painter or in

manufacturing/chemical or pesticide/fungicide

factories (fungicides with methyl mercury

ingredients) or in pulp/paper mills that used

mercury? Yes

No

17.Have you worked as a dentist, hygienist, or

dental assistant? Yes

No

18.Have you ever had Candida-Related

Complex (CRC) or yeast infections (vagina,

mouth, or GI tract)? Yes

No

19.Do you have a lot of bad breath (halitosis) or

white tongue (thrush)? Yes

No

20.Have you frequently had low basal body

axillary temperature (below 97.4 degrees F.)

over the years? Yes

No

21.Do you have problems with constipation? Yes

No

22.Do you have heart irregularities or rapid pulse

(tachycardia)? Yes

No

23.Do you have unexplained arthritis in various

joints? Yes

No

24.Is it common for you to have a lot of mucus in

your stools? Yes

No

25.Do you have unidentified chest pains even

after EKG's, X-ray, and heart studies are

normal? Yes

No

26.Is your sleep poor or do you have frequent

insomnia? Yes

No

27.Have you had frequent kidney infections or do

you have significant kidney problems? Yes

No

28.Are you extremely fatigued much of the time

and never seem to have enough energy? Yes

No

29.Do you have irritability or dramatic changes in

behavior? Yes

No

30.Are you on antidepressants now or have you been in the past? Yes No

Some Other Facts About Mercury

1. Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive element on Earth.

2. A silver colored mercury amalgam filling normally contains 52% mercury

3. On average, amalgam filling weighs 1 gram and contains 1/2 gram of mercury

4. The typical aduly carries ten amalgam fillings containing about 5 grams of mercury

5. 1/2 gram of mercury in a ten acre lake would warrant issuance of a fish advisory for the lake

6. Running shoes with mercury lights in their heels were banned by the Minnesota Legislature in 1994 because they contained a 1/2 gram of mercury in them and this was considered dangerous to public health

7. The use of mercury amalgams has been banned and are on a scheduled phaseout in Germany, Austria, Denmark and Sweden

8. A proposition passed in California in 1994 requires a warning in dental offices using mercury amalgam stating that "the people of the state of California have determined that the use of mercury in dental amalgam causes birth defects and other health problems" The proposition also requires that permission must be obtained from a patient before placing hazardous material in the mouth. (The new law is being contested by the ADA and California Dental Association and is tied up in Federal Court)

9. Legislation is now being proposed in Minnesota for a similar "Informed Consent" legislation for all dental patients.

Conclusion:

It is our conclusion that mercury toxicity is an autoimmune disorder. This was summarized recently in an article in Advance Magazine. Its wide range of symptoms can only be accounted for by multiple adverse effects on the immune system, nerve tissue in general. The Mercury / Toxic Metal Sensitivity Questionnaire has now been tested on over 200 patients and will serve as a warning/alert to clinicians when patients have scores of "yes" in five or more of the questions. Such patients should then be refered to dentists with special knowledge of mercury amalgam removal and replacement with nontoxic composites and dental materials.

Here's something else.

MERCURY

Prepared by OHCOW

What is Mercury?

Mercury is extracted from a naturally occurring ore known as cinnabar. Mercury, often referred to as "Quicksilver' is a silvery-white heavy metal which is a liquid at room temperature. Basically, four categories of mercury exist:

(1) Elemental or metallic mercury (pure metal)

(2) Organic mercury compounds, which are bonded to carbon, e.g. alkyl mercury

(3) Inorganic mercury compounds

(4) Other organic mercury compounds

How Has Mercury Been Used?

control instruments (thermometers, barometers)

electric switches

arc lamps

mercury vapour lamps

manufacture of explosive caps and detonators

production of polyurethane foams

pesticides, fungicides

tanning

printing

dental fillings

batteries

paints

papers

medications

felt hat industry

floor wax and polish

fabric softeners

jewellery - moulding

Why is Mercury a Health Hazard?

Mercury can affect your health if it is inhaled, ingested or absorbed. Mercury can be harmful if you receive a high dose in a short period of time (acute poisoning), or if you are exposed to low doses over a long period of time (chronic poisoning). Breathing mercury vapour is the most common cause of mercury poisoning, with exposure to mercury compounds occurring less frequently. Mercury evaporates at room temperature, so even small spills of mercury can produce a significant amount of mercury vapour. Alkyl mercury compounds, used primarily in research institutions, are known to have a significantly greater toxic effect than other forms of mercury.

Mercury builds up slowly in the body, where it is retained for years, concentrating in organs, which receive the greatest supply of blood. Usually the kidney has the highest concentration, followed by the liver, the spleen, then the brain. The concentration of mercury in the brain is much higher following exposure to mercury vapour. With inorganic mercury salts, a large amount of mercury is found in the blood, but this concentration decreases quickly.

Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning:

Symptoms of acute mercury poisoning include swelling of the mouth, increased salivation, metallic taste, shaking of the limbs, stomach pain, vomiting, chest pains, cough, shortness of breath, bronchitis or pneumonia. Acute exposure to soluble inorganic salts of mercury may result in inflammation of the kidney within one to two weeks after the exposure.

Symptoms of chronic mercury poisoning may include weakness, tiredness, loss of appetite, weight loss, increased irritability, loss of memory, loss of self-confidence. Later phases of chronic poisoning are characterized by tremors of eyelids, lips, tongue, fingers and limbs, dermatitis, mental disturbances, personality changes, swelling of the mouth, excessive salivation/or dryness of the mouth, loose teeth, decreased peripheral vision and blindness.

How Does the Body Rid It self of Mercury?

Mercury is most often eliminated in the urine. It is also removed from the body by the liver in bile, by the intestines, by the sweat glands, by the lungs, in the hair, nails and from the skin. However, the majority is excreted in the urine.

Urine and blood tests may be analyzed to assess mercury exposure.

In Conclusion:

The toxic biological effects of mercury depend on the level of exposure, the route of entry, and the type of mercury. The amount of mercury exposure due to dental fillings does not appear to produce any adverse health effects.

If you should break a thermometer at home, it is important to make sure all visible mercury droplets are cleaned up by mechanical means (using a vacuum cleaner with a charcoal filter).

The symptoms of mercury poisoning are also symptoms of other diseases, thus, merely having such symptoms does not necessarily mean you have mercury poisoning. If you work with mercury and are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact your Health and Safety Rep, see your family doctor or the Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers Inc.

Mercury is a designated substance. For further Information, see Regulation on Mercury under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

dlp252 Apprentice

Holy Cow Andrea! I only found 5 of those symptoms for mercury that I DON'T have, lol.

Good news everyone...got my new computer up and running at home and can post from home again! Yay. Bad news, work changes really got me down, AND fighting off a cold/sinus infection/or whatevertheheck it is. :)

AndreaB Contributor
Good news everyone...got my new computer up and running at home and can post from home again! Yay. Bad news, work changes really got me down, AND fighting off a cold/sinus infection/or whatevertheheck it is. :)

It will be good to see you on more again Donna. :D

Work is something I don't really miss. Can anyone tell me why I still have dreams about work and always having to get back to the children, and working too long? Don't really expect an answer. I'm glad to be out of my job. My boss was not very supportive during my pregnancy. I didn't figure out until my last day that she was probably jealous that I was going to be able to be a stay at home mom (by a comment she made).

I'm sorry things aren't going well, and not feeling well on top of that makes it even more difficult. Take care of your hazard drop tomorrow and head to the conference and meet up with Susan and have a good time.

We'll expect updates from both of you. :)

Green12 Enthusiast

Thanks Andrea for all the mercury information, very interesting. There are quite a few similarities with symptoms in comparison to Lyme's :blink:

Holy Cow Andrea! I only found 5 of those symptoms for mercury that I DON'T have, lol.

Donna, I'm glad you got your computer up and running :D I'm sorry about the work changes, and the fact that you aren't feeling well on top of that doesn't help. Hope you feel better soon :) and hang in there about work, maybe it will all fall into place with time.

Guest Mtndog

Hi Everyone- Just a quick drive by as I haven't been getting email updates from the board- something's wacky with my email account.

Hugs and love to everyone on here who needs them.

Rachel- When will you get the results? I really hope it's not Lyme. I live in Lyme Central (New England) and know quite a few people who've had it. Not fun! whatever it is, I KNOW that you are strong enough to heal. Just make sure Dave has you chew your blueberries (he sounds like a really good friend).

I'll be back, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
Domingo's wife passed away... and he is home with his other 2 children trying to cope.

My daughter and son-in-law came out for a week... was fun... my son and daughter-in-law and my grandbaby found a house.... moved in...soon his computer will be hooked up and I can have mine back... they are very happy.

Ate a raw red onion right after we got an earthquake in the Gulf (which everyone felt) and thought we were going to get hit with a tsunami... and I had read that onions stop anxiety.... so I ate it... stopped thinking about earthquakes and tsunamis.... just thought about my burning sinuses.. :o:lol:

Whew.... there was more but you get the idea.

Think of you all alot.... hi to everyone!!

Cecile,

Were those the people in the accident back in June? I'm so sorry, that must be so hard for him.

Glad you got to see T & J and that you will get your computer back soon.

Red onion.....I can see how that would divert your attention. :blink:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Good to hear from you Celia!

I'm glad you're feeling ok. :)

Domingos wife passed away??? That is soooo tragic. :( I'll keep him in my prayers.

Julie....yeah the symptoms for Lyme and mercury can be pretty much interchangeable. Thats why its really hard to know whats what. I would assume its also entirely possible to have both...which would really suck. I was thinking about this possibilty and then heard that its common to have heavy metal toxicity with Lyme. The new doctor had said there is likely a multitude of things going on. Same thing the holistic dentest said a long time ago....its like an onion...you got to get rid of one layer at a time.

AndreaB Contributor

Someone else uses the onion analogy too......maybe it was Rinne.

Guest Robbin
Hi everyone!!

Was just on here having some fun... wanted to pop in and say "hi"... wish everyone was feeling better.... I have been reading on this thread now and then but good gaaawwddd Lyme and Metal poisoning? How awful... I do hope you get some results with your tests Rachel.

I'm just plugging along... was a good day for me so I've been goofing around.... it's been fun.

Let me give you a recap for those who have followed this thread... had a couple of hurricane scares but surrived them.

Have my good days and bad days as far as health.

Domingo's wife passed away... and he is home with his other 2 children trying to cope.

My daughter and son-in-law came out for a week... was fun... my son and daughter-in-law and my grandbaby found a house.... moved in...soon his computer will be hooked up and I can have mine back... they are very happy.

Ate a raw red onion right after we got an earthquake in the Gulf (which everyone felt) and thought we were going to get hit with a tsunami... and I had read that onions stop anxiety.... so I ate it... stopped thinking about earthquakes and tsunamis.... just thought about my burning sinuses.. :o:lol:

Whew.... there was more but you get the idea.

Think of you all alot.... hi to everyone!!

Oh, good grief, celia. You have some nerve to come on here and try to tell us in one measly post, all your problems and happenings. Quite frankly, I think you made up the whole "earthquake" thing just to get to eat onions and gross out your husband AND to keep your son away from your computer so you could get on here and fill us in on your life. Hurricane? What about the wind of 5 - 10 miles an hour we experienced here?!! You don't see me worried about that now do you?!!! Hey, and while I am on the subject, you need to drink more coffee.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel- When will you get the results? I really hope it's not Lyme. I live in Lyme Central (New England) and know quite a few people who've had it. Not fun! whatever it is, I KNOW that you are strong enough to heal. Just make sure Dave has you chew your blueberries (he sounds like a really good friend).

Hi Bev,

How is going now that you've left that dreaded apartment?? Hopefully alot better. :)

I dont know when I'll get the results. Hes a new doctor so I dont know if he'll call me or what....I have an appt. with him on the 3rd....I hope I dont have to wait until then for the results.

Yeah....Dave is a really good friend. He's doing exactly what the doc told him to do....making sure I chew my food. I told him I dont like chewing so much...he said "I dont care if you like it or not....thats not the point...its gonna help you get better."

He's on top of the chewing thing. ;)

I'm getting more used to it now...I think I dont pig out as much cuz its takes forever to eat like this.

Its a good thing.... I'm not Racheling everything in sight now. :)

Kat-Kat Newbie

wow !

AndreaB Contributor
I'm getting more used to it now...I think I dont pig out as much cuz its takes forever to eat like this.

Its a good thing.... I'm not Racheling everything in sight now. :)

As Martha Stewart would say....."That's a good thing". :D

That was on our wedding party videotape. Our hostess used that phrase constantly.

I would think that it would be harder to overload your system if you couldn't eat to the point of overload.

Seth can reach the keyboard now even when I push it back so IF you guys ever get chopped off messages you'll know why.....of course I could always go back and edit. He must have got bored playing by himself, he's over picking on his mommy. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
wow !

Yeah...sometimes I dont have much else to say either. :lol:

Did we scare her off with our mercury and Lyme scientificness?? :o

AndreaB Contributor

Maybe she needs to evaluate whether she has any of these possibilities.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Maybe she needs to evaluate whether she has any of these possibilities.

yeah....maybe thats it.

You know....I never see food intolerances on a Lyme symptom list. :unsure:

Maybe its a seperate issue caused by leaky gut or maybe mercury. Oh man am I gonna drive myself crazy till I get those test results. :rolleyes:

AndreaB Contributor
Oh man am I gonna drive myself crazy till I get those test results. :rolleyes:

Let's look at it another way. How much will you learn while you are waiting? I tend to think you'll learn a lot. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Let's look at it another way. How much will you learn while you are waiting? I tend to think you'll learn a lot. :)

LOL

I'm trying really hard to hold back on all the research but yeah....I've been looking up things...ok...I've been doing it constantly. :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
I've been looking up things...ok...I've been doing it constantly. :lol:

That's what I figured. :P:lol:

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks Julie and Andrea! I can't say much about the work situation yet because there are some people from work who frequent this website and we're not supposed to talk about it yet. It's a sad thing.

Hum, I DID go on a week long hiking vacation a few years ago to Vermont (thanks Bev for reminding me!)! It was a fall colors type of thing, so every day we did various length hikes through mostly wooded/rural areas. I don't remember any bite indications, but not sure I would have noticed unless it was BIG. And, of course I've had metal mouth for most of my adult life... egads, lol.

lancpa Rookie

corn contains gluten

I didn't react to it at first but as i eliminated wheat it became the next allergen. then rice. I can't eat any of those"""Glutent-Free" products. this seems like a progression a few others on here have seen as well. I even react to potato starch now. no more thickeners basically. We need a resort where everything is really truely gluten -free that we can go to for 3 months and see if we can beat this then.

My thyroid was terrible. In 4 months it returned to ideal numbers on blood tests without any Pharmaceuticals just standard process supplements my kinesiologist/chiro prescribed. no thyroid symptoms. No corn in standard Process. Basically I was treated with alot of minerals. Oh and I did some gall bladder flushes during that time, but my doc says he has had lots of peoles thyroids return to normal without cleansing/flushes.

Corn is hard. Realllyyyy hard. I'm wishing you the best of luck Maybe if people who are still only reacting to wheat limit corn now it will take them longer to get there. Or maybe if they eliminate it now since it contains gluten they can recover and add foods back in sooner. That's what I wish I had done. Here's hoping you are feeling better very soon.

I still have a lump in my throat alot and I'm not sure what is causing it. Time to do more research for mee to. Good for you that you found this out.

Daxin Explorer

Well, it's been a while but I'm just checking in.

I've been kind of sick myself, and thinking maybe that this whole Gluten free thing is not as easy as I thought.

Rachel -- I hope you find some answers soon. I hate being in the dark when I am sick. I don't know why you would hold back on doing research though. The more info you have going in, the more prepared the doctors can be no?

Ceclie -- Nice to hear from you again. Hope you sinuses recovered from that onion.

Anyone I missed -- Hi. I've been lingering here for some time but have not had much to say. I have been learning a lot though. We are heading out for a few days and I will be away from my computer for almost a week. I hope I can get caught up when I get back.

AndreaB Contributor

Have a great time Ryan! We'll see you when you get back.

Hope you feel better soon. Do you think you were cc'd or do you have other allergies/intolerances?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel -- I hope you find some answers soon. I hate being in the dark when I am sick. I don't know why you would hold back on doing research though. The more info you have going in, the more prepared the doctors can be no?

I'm just trying to not overload my brain. I've already researched so many diseases, diets, treatments, etc over the last couple years and since I dont have the results of the Lyme test yet I just figured I'd give myself a break for now. :)

I've already seen the doctor and given him all the history, symptoms, results of previous tests, etc. Now I just have to wait for these latest test results.

Archived